What Do You Wish People Knew About Your Mental Health
What Do You Wish People Knew About Your Mental Health
Living with mental health challenges sadly often means dealing with misconceptions or feeling misunderstood.
If you could tell others just one thing about your experience, what would it be?
Maybe it’s something people get wrong.
Maybe it’s something they never ask.
Maybe it’s what you wish someone had said to you or perhaps something else!
Please share below if you feel comfortable to do so. I look forward to reading your contributions and discussing such an important topic. 🌻
@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS Telling me how strong I am tells me how little you intend to help me.
@PointlessExercisesOnceAgain yes. It's the height of avoidance.
Thinking im complaining when I'm trying to express my struggles
@indigoMap939
I am so glad you express how you feel and I would always encourage you to keep sharing as this helps you move forward. Those truly worthy of being around you will always take time to listen to how you're feeling. 🌻
That my 19 year porn addiction (10 years old - 29 years old) still haunts me in my 40s. I am at the point of suppression and now the side effect of suppression is affecting my marriage.
My people pleaser mode of operation and boudary walls I have kept built for so long is getting really old. I'm not afraid, but very conscious of what I think, say, and do and I know that there is new life beyond that wall.
@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS that just because i don't openly talk about my problems doesn't mean i don't have any.
@adaptiveMelody7976
As someone who doesn't talk about them either, I felt this sooo much! 💛
Just because you don't openly discuss your struggles doesn't mean they don't exist. It absolutely doesn't. And what a great reminder again to be kind to everyone we meet because not everyone's wearing their struggles overtly!
Everyone deals with their challenges differently. For some, talking helps, but for others, processing things internally or managing them privately is how they cope. Other times, many learn to not share about their stuff~ it's all different and unique for everyone.
Your struggles are real and valid, regardless of whether you choose (or can/ cannot) to share them or not. It takes immense strength to carry what you do, even when it's not visible to others. 💛
I hope everyone heals from the things they dont speak about!
I wish someone would actually listen to me without judging me i wish someone would hug me and tell me it's not my fault for feeling this way for being deppressed despite not having a clear reason despite having a good life i wish they would tell me i m not to blame and that it gets better and that i m not failing 💖
@wisteria28
Aww *offers hugs* 💛
It's incredibly brave to express the longing for someone to just listen without judgment, to offer a hug, and to validate your feelings. Such profound ways in which one can feel truly understood and be reminded that they aren't alone.
It's a common misconception that depression needs a "clear reason" or that a "good life" should somehow prevent it. That's simply not true, I believe. Your feelings are valid, regardless of their origin, and you are absolutely not to blame for experiencing depression. It's not a failure on your part; it's a real struggle that many people face and hey, you're hooman too, it's okay for you to struggle also.
You deserve to hear that it's okay to feel this way, and that things can, and often do, get better. You're not alone okiee and wanting this kind of comfort and reassurance is a deeply hooman need so I'm super proud of you for mentioning it here, amongst this wonderful community filled with compassionate hoomans who are here to remind you that you're not alone and that together we can make it through! 🌻
Thank you so much eversince i joined the community here i felt heard for the first time in my life and for once i feel like someone cares about what i feel despite me not acting as a" good daughter" i m glad people like you exist in this world it is a reminder that the world is still beautiful ❤️ 🤍🤍🤍
@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS
I wish people wouldn't laugh so much from my startle response. I know that sometimes it's comical, and yes sometimes even I find it amusing. But I feel like people just see it as me being overreactive or jumpy for no reason. But it's a trauma based response that I can't get rid of. If I manage to relax enough something as simple as the air conditioning kicking in will make me jump and freeze until my brain registers what happened. That and people standing behind me or just touching me without me knowing. And usually peoples response to when I shiver and scratch where they brushed up against is to, 'get used to it.' When getting 'used to it', and not reacting is the root of these issues. I never fought back when I should have. So when people see me jump at something, turn around when people are behind me, or react when something brushes against me. I don't mind if you laugh as long as you make sure that I'm not panicking at the moment.
I have feelings too. Just bc I’m in trouble( this applies to my parents btw) doesn’t mean you have to say these hurtful words. Yes I did smth wrong and I’m not like my brother and I actually admit my fault. These words/ phrases actually hurt me so much .
We aren't lazy. We're overwhelmed and don't know what to do first.
Just one? 🤷♂️
If I had to choose 1 thing...
It would be the fact that even though talking about stuggles out loud is good and all, but it's the people who use it against you or talk behind your back. And you wonder why we bottle things up and get accused for being quiet or aloof.
I have been much better in recent years at waiting a little but before opening up.
I wish people such as certain friends understood me instead of misjudging and misunderstanding my pain and depression as ill intent or “playing the victim or pity me “ attitude . I have lost both my parents, a friend to suicide , a friend now has cancer, and I have a lump in one my *** now too .i feel very misunderstood and misjudged as self centered and a lot of other incorrect traumatizing words when actually im just sad at times and it comes across as the wrong impression . I love my friends and that’s all i have left in my city as my family has died . I think that’s why it hurts so much .
