Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Domestic abuse doesn't count if your family are abusers

User Profile: TheDailyGrind
TheDailyGrind October 12th, 2017

My mom puts me down and yells at me every opportunity. Recently she told me I'm not allowed to shower because I used too much water(??). I've tried using domestic abuse hotlines but they tell me family doesn't count. It's really upsetting for me. It makes me feel like my situation doesn't matter. I want out. I have a job but I can't afford to move out even if I got to keep the money I made.

2
User Profile: SilentSerenityy
SilentSerenityy October 12th, 2017

@TheDailyGrind

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through and it was very brave and good of you to ring a helpline! I believe those helplines focus more on abuse between romantic relationships, however, it was rude of them to say that domestic abuse doesn't count in your situation. It definitely does! Abuse in families happen all too often and it's horrible that you were denied help.

If you're under 18, then you can get in touch with the police and they can move you out but you would likely have to live in fostered housing. If that's not an option for you, then I would recommend seeing a therapist if you can afford one (we also have therapists here on 7 Cups). It can help to get support and get things off your chest and allow you to feel more in control of the situation.

Or you can have a look for help lines that do include support for abuse within families; there must be some out there. What about Samaritans or something? There's companies that can provide support on almost everything so you could give them a go.