Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My story...just need to get this off my chest

User Profile: jm0516
jm0516 June 6th, 2018

I just need someone out there to know what just happened last week. It still feels like a bad nightmare - like maybe it was happening to someone else...not me! Here is the back story: I divorced the father of my son about 10 years ago or so and have spent pretty much the last 5 or 6 years of my life as a single mom. I had given up the idea of finding love again. See, I come with more baggage than just my son. I was diagnosed with Bipolar II several years ago and struggle with the ups and downs that disorder creates. But I finally started dating again - a coworker that I had known for years.

Here is where my life became unreal to me: my boyfriend of over a year has turned out to be sometimes very frightening to me. We argued a lot for a long time, but now I have learned to just be quiet and avoid a fight so that I don't have to hear the awful and hurtful things he normally says when he is mad. I have been called every name in the book and have had all of my faults and my past mistakes thrown at me. But it gets worse. Last week he and I went to our favorite wineries and were having a great day...until he made some comment that I took offense to. I was upset and in turn he got mad at me for being upset. Tempers flared and by the time we got home he was in a full rage. I tried walking away but he followed me and put his hands around my neck. I was scared. I told him if he ever laid a hand on me again that I would call the sheriff's department. He "dared" me to. We were both mad and yelling and when I tried to get up the stairs in our home, he pushed me and I fell across the kitchen floor. He yelled at me for over reacting - even went so far as to reenact it to make fun of me. Every time I tried to walk away, he got in my face. Eventually I was able to leave the house for a few minutes but he was timing me to make sure I wasn't going to tell anyone or get help. He demanded to take pictures of my neck to make sure there weren't any visible bruises. I wouldn't let him. Eventually everything calmed and we ignored each other for a few days. He apologized - half-heartedly. Says he won't do it again. We haven't talked about it since. And I am too scared to bring it up. I don't want to upset him again. My neck hurt for days and he saw the bruises on my arms and legs from falling.

I know eventually we will talk about it, but I just have no idea when I will have the strength to do so. I can't stop thinking about it.

2
User Profile: Sameboat87
Sameboat87 June 20th, 2018

@jm0516 Im sorry that happened to you. I hope that you will find the strength to leave him because that sort of escalation rarely if ever gets better, only worse. You dont deserve that and and someone who chokes/strangles is a special kind of crazy. If you can, read Lundy Bancrofts book Why Does He Do That? You can find it for free online just search the title and free download. It is well worth the read and gives some great perspective as it why men like this do what they do. We tend to think its isolated incidents and special circumstances but the way he spells it out showed me just how perfectly my ex fit the mold of an abuser. And it discusses the likelihood that he can and will change. Which unfortunately is slim. Best of luck, stay safe and get out if you can

User Profile: casiodaisy
casiodaisy July 24th, 2018

@jm0516

I am so sorry that you've had to deal with this. I had a similar first experience with my ex partner, which resulted in nearly 2 years of persistent physical and emotional abuse. Please please please try and get the support and strength to leave, it will be so much easier to leave now than further down the line.

If you ever need to talk please PM me xx