Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My own negligence cost me everything

User Profile: sensibleOwl5698
sensibleOwl5698 November 28th, 2018

I don't know if this is supposed to have a trigger warming it something, but TW I guess, death. One of my best friends was only 28 years old when he died. We were living together as roommates. He was the more mature friend, the one everybody else in our circle looked up to and admired, so his loss sent this powerful ripple of greif through the community like no other death I've seen so far. Four years later, I'm as old as he was, now. And every day I live with the guilt that my own negligence is was killed him. I knew, that night when I went to bed, that he might have had pneumonia. I heard the funny noises in his chest when he breathed. I told him, "maybe we should go to the hospital?" but nobody seemed to think it was necessary, the doctor said to wait another 24 hours for the medicine to kick in, and I went to bed with this sinking feeling in my gut, like i was making the wrong choice, I was the only one who heard those noises, and I knew they weren't right. I laid in bed listening to him, from across the house, groaning and wretching. But I had work at 6am. God the noises were so awful I remember wanting to get up many times. And when I finally did get up to get ready for work, and check on him, he was utterly delirious. He didn't know where he was, and it frightened me. I'll never forget - I told him "hey, it's going to be okay" and he looked right at me and shook his head and said "no it won't".

I was dressing him to put him in the car, and take him to the ER. I got a shirt on him, I think. Maybe i asked him where his pants were. But he started to fall backwards. His arm did this strange jerking motion and I thought for just a second that he was messing with me, until i looked at his face. His eyes rolling in the back of his head and the sounds of him gasping for air. I screamed at him, shook him, nothing. He just kept falling. Why didn't I know CPR or something useful? We had called an ambulance before we got him dressed but it was raining, and taking such a long time to get here. I remember bolting out the door, into the rain, to the neighbors, to anyone. I remember thinking, the rain, the screaming, the running, it's like the movies almost, it's not even real. But when we came back and these strangers I found and dragged from their home tried to revive him it was too late. He was probably already dead the moment he fell over. Whenever I think about the fact that the last person he saw and talked to was me, it makes me want to throw up.

The weirdest thing was the aftermath. Filling out police reports. Watching them carry his half clothed body off on a stretcher. Walking aimlessly in the woods near our house, just to not be in it. That's the weirdest thing. The woods. I think about that walk a lot, how dazed and robotic the walk was. Like I did a strange loop through the woods with no goal but to just make the lap. Going through the motions but not really seeing the woods at all.

His mother took the medical practice he went to to court. He was very obviously neglected by them. No chest x-ray. Incomplete chart. Seen by somebody without a license. They pulled me on the stand as a witness, and the doctor side tried to tell me it was my fault, and our team reassured me that I couldn't have known. Never before in a public space have I ever been so choked up that I couldn't speak. I tried to compose myself but every time I opened my mouth and started to talk it was caught in my throat. We won in the end. The medical practice was grossly negligent. It was true. But, I also know, and could never say to his mother, to my friends who loved him, to anybody, that I did know better. I knew that night when I was laying in bed and listening to him make those horrible sounds. I knew. I'll never forget watching him fall, dying, knowing that I should have stopped it. Missing him.

2
User Profile: SentientiaPoecile
SentientiaPoecile November 29th, 2018

@sensibleOwl5698

I'm so so very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine your pain. It's very brave of you to tell your story. I hope maybe it helped to get out.

I'm also really sorry to hear that you had to endure a legal team trying to win their case by shamelessly blaming the whole thing on you. I'm sure that doesn't help with your own internal feelings. I know it must be a lot to process inside, but I hope maybe you can tell yourself that those lawyers are so wrong for doing that. They were grasping at whatever they could to relieve their client from responsibility; just because they said it doesn't make it true.

I'm glad you're here as you go through this grieving process. Please know you're not alone and we hear you.

User Profile: Hoxenos
Hoxenos December 5th, 2018

@sensibleOwl5698

Hi, thanks for sharing. I can't imagine the amount of emotions that you had to face at the time, and what would be coming up now that you're his age.

It's important to remember that we get intuitions and feelings about a lot of things, and if we listened to every worry and concern we have, we would probably develop really overbearing checking behaviours. There is a certain amount of trust we have to give to people, like we trust that architects build our houses properly, teachers are teaching only things that are backed up by research, and that news casters only report on things they have verified from sources.

We take it for granted that professionals in a field are supposed to be experts. We are supposed to trust them and in turn they are supposed to be right. You were not a doctor and it was not your responsibility to know if your friend was in danger. You both trusted the doctors to know what was best and they let you down. You worried about him and thought that something would go wrong, but this is a normal reaction to when a friend/family member is sick or injured and most people are wrong about those kinds of intuitions more often than right. We are a worrying species.

I feel like the lawsuit was probably pretty retraumatizing in that it their defence probably reiterated a lot of the self blame that you were already feeling. What they did was wrong, blaming you like that. You did what you could, which was worry about your friend, and they dropped the ball.

I know that the guilt you feel is probably too overwhelming to be able to agree with what I've said... and if it is... then perhaps at the very least it's time to learn to forgive yourself. Would he blame you? Would he want you to feel the way you're feeling? Or would he think you did your best? Would he want you to honour him by living your best life and pursuing happiness?

Thanks for sharing with us <3