Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Question: Abuse Survivors and Memories You Can't Let Go Of

User Profile: Bubbles5550
Bubbles5550 December 7th, 2020

I was hoping there was an Abuse thread to post this in, but I think this is the best spot I can drop it. My little sister and I (shes only one year younger) were heavily abused as children, but for some reason there is one memory that sticks in both of our heads, and it is so tame compared to the shit we went through that neither of us know why it bothers us so bad.

We were 12 and 13 when our parents decided to take us on a vacation, and we went water rafting. It was actually kind of fun, but it was very, very long and we were getting tired by the end of it. Trying to lift our spirits and playing the way kids do, we started singing 'row your boat'. The guide - a dude probably in his early twenties - laughed with us, but as soon as the trip was over, we immiedately got our asses handed to us for 'being disrespectful', 'making them look bad', and all that other bullshit. We were grounded for the rest of the weekend, unable to participate in vacation activities (there was only 2 of us btw, no other children), rent movies in the hotel room or go to the pool, blah blah. We both vividly remember this trip, and it bothers us so strongly.

We're grown now, and have had lots of therapy, and lead pretty normal lives where we can laugh about our trauma and be thankful we've moved on. But why is it that this is the one memory we can't get over? Why does this one bother us so bad?

3
User Profile: Asher
Asher December 7th, 2020

Thanks for sharing that with us on here.

User Profile: LightofWorld
LightofWorld December 10th, 2020

@Bubbles5550

Thank you for opening up with us by sharing! Minds /Brains are a tricky thing for sure. While we can't give you a clear reason for you. I can give you some information <3

Memories are based on emotions. That's one of the way they are stored. Sometimes the ones with more emotion would be blocked out as a coping method, or remembered more vivdly. While you and your sisters thoughts/feelings are unqiuely yours, maybe this was something that was significant for you both. Even the memories we consider "less" still have valid emotions and feelings it made we feel. <3

While there is no set answer for your your question that I can give you, I hope you understand what I am saying <3

Only you(and your sister) can figure out the answer <3 Thank you again for sharing!