This is way too long and I don't know if it even belongs in this community
I don't feel traumatized but I'm growing more and more aware of the ways certain events have affected me throughout my life. My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma cancer when I was 12. She went through chemotherapy for about a year and, miraculously, survived against all odds.
I used to think I was just too young or immature to really understand the situation, because I don't have many memories of feeling fear or grief at the time. As an older teenager, I felt guilty for that. I felt like I was too stupid or self-absorbed as a 12-13 year old to care that my mom was dying. I'm 21 now and in the past year I've been thinking back on that time frequently.
I think I repressed a lot of memories from that time. It feels like I have no clear memories of being at home with my family during those years; I remember middle school and classes and whatnot, but I swear, I can't think of a single vivid memory of myself in my home with my family; with just a couple exceptions.
I remember the day I came home from school and my mom had finally shaved her head. She had been wearing a headscarf for weeks already because of the way her hair was falling out, but I came home one day and she wasn't wearing it - she was just bald. I don't remember if she said anything about it, or how I felt.
I remember walking home from school once (or probably more than once) and imagining in disturbing detail what it would be like to come home to an empty house and a note from my dad that something had happened and he'd taken my mom to the hospital. I'd imagine what would happen if everything was fine; but also what it would be like if she died.
In retrospect, it's disturbing how often I pictured her funeral. I specifically remember not feeling anything in particular about it, and thinking that there was something wrong with that but not knowing how to change it. It was like a thought exercise - what music would they play (of course they would play music, my mom was a singer before chemo ruined her 15 years of opera training), what photo would they use, what would I say?
I have a hadnful of vivid memories of this time that impact me in different ways - I had to move in with my grandparents an hour away for a couple weeks when I caught a flu because my mom's immune system was so weak that if she caught it she likely would have died from it. I still had to go to school though, and the drive was difficult - so the next time (both my sister and I were sick, then) my grandparents stayed with us in a nearby hotel. That's the one time I remember crying: because I couldn't go home. I remember crying with my sister in the hotel room, on the phone with our dad.
I remember my mom hallucinating about Scooby Doo. I think I remember hearing her sobbing from the master bedroom. I think I remember her saying she wanted to die. I say I think because I honestly can't remember if it's a real memory or some kind of projection.
I know I remember her telling a family friend, on the 4th of July, some months after she was cleared as cancer-free, about how she would have killed herself if we'd owned a gun. She didn't know I was in hearing distance and I never told her, but that's a memory that surfaces frequently, uninvited.
This is really long, I'm sorry if I'm not using this thread correctly. I still have more I want to get off my chest though.
I started high school the year after she was cleared and my own detatchedness still bothered me, and made me feel guilty almost all the time. Those feelings were even stronger after she was cleared, for some reason. It was my sophomore year that everything really hit the fan, for me. I can recognize, in retrospect, that I was depressed. I didn't know how to understand my feelings at the time though, and was still dealing with - or failing to deal with - my guilt from what I thought was a lack of empathy.
My grades suffered and I stopped talking to my family. I pretty much lived online and talked mostly with internet friends. I fell-out with my best friend and stopped leaving the house aside from school. I had always been close with my online friends and liked staying in, though, so I guess that's why my parents weren't overly alarmed.
My dog died in November of 2012. She was the family dog and we'd gotten her probably in 2003, and of course we all loved her. I remember feeling a similar kind of detatchedness to the situation, and I remember that I didn't cry. I thought something was wrong with me for that, because I loved my dog but I didn't really feel anything about it, or at least nothing I knew how to identify.
That weekend, my parents had paid for my friend and I to go to an anime convention for my birthday. We went, it was fun, I almost forgot about my dead dog and non-reaction.
When I got back (with souvenirs for my family) something came up. I don't remember how the fight started, but I remember being in my parents' office, my mom at her computer and somehow it got to the point of my grades and anti-socialness; which led to her bringing up my apparent lack of grief.We were screaming at each other but I clearly remember her shouting at me, "Don't you feel anything at all?"
After that, I ran out of the house. I put shoes on without socks and ran to a park a few blocks away. It was nighttime so it was empty, and I sat on the swingset and thought about killing myself. I planned it out to a tee how I would do it and spent an hour psyching myself up to do it.
Obviously, I didn't. I walked back home after that hour and my mom had cooled down but told me that she was taking away my phone and internet privileges indefinitely. I panicked and convinced her that I needed to be able to be in ccontact with my internet friends - my only real friends, it felt like, but she still took my phone. I started self-harming then (not severely, but tiny habitual things that I won't go into detail about). I broke that habit relatively quickly, luckily.
My mom and I communicated almost entirely via email that year. It was a recurring thought that she didn't love me anymore and that I didn't deserve her love anyways if I wasn't really capable of feeling love for her in return. I thought for years that I was broken somehow, that she was right when she implied that I didn't feel anything, and I still think that a lot of the time, even though I'm trying not to.
I don't remember how we fixed our relationship, but we did somehow. We're very close nowadays, and spend a lot of time together, happily. But sometimes I still just burst into tears out of nowehere because my dumb brain will convince me she still doesn't love me and that I'm unworthy of love. Or I'll freeze up whenever she has a health scare (which is pretty often - she's getting older and the chemo did a number on her body) and be sure she's going to die. I have days when I feel almost as depressed as I did back in high school and think about getting help but the idea of telling someone about my feelings, feelings that I still don't always believe are real, is scarier than having to deal with them alone, and I'm afraid to tell my mom because it might trigger her own depression/suicidal ideation because she's always had self-esteem issues and is extremely self-critical and I'm afraid, at this point, she'll blame herself for not noticing my poor mental health earlier.
I don't know what any of this really means. I've never, ever told anyone any of these things before. I don't have PTSD from any of these things - I've never experienced a trigger, or had a flashback. Honestly, I feel embarrassed posting this here because everyone else here has been through so much and I feel like my expeirence pales in comparison to that. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this kind of problem; again, I just don't really know where this falls categorically.
First of all, I don't know much about trauma or how to support loved ones who have cancer. I don't know if you posted this in the right subcommunity either - but I am 100% sure you've posted this on the right website, 7Cups. And I feel too moved by your story and too worried for you not to write a response.
Don't think you are unwhorthy of love, because you aren't. Everyone is worthy of love. You too. You are a complex human being with complex emotions who does a zillion different things each day. Even if after thinking it over you consider you didn't act the best way at the time your mother was battling cancer, that does not mean you are a bad person - it would only mean you made some mistakes. And everyone makes mistakes - your mom, your friends, your neighbors, people here at 7Cups. Making mistakes is an inherent part of being human. What matters is that you acknowledge you made a mistake and try not to make it again.
But what you describe does not have to be a mistake. It might have been your brain's way to cope. Sometimes, when people face situations of great stress, danger, grief, etc, they become numb. Consider the fight, flight or freeze response. Or maybe you dissociated - the situation overwhelmed your brain, so for the sake of its own (and your) well-being, it "disconnected" so that you would not feel that huge load of "negative" emotions (sadness, fear, etc.).
Lastly, don't compare yourself (or your struggle) with others('). Everyone is different, and everyone's struggle is different.
It is sad that you and your family have been through such tough times. I hope it does not happen again.
@plumtrees Hi Plum,
Trauma means different things to different people but generally a major distressing event or several cause trauma symptoms. Just because the cancer didn't happen to you, doesn't mean you aren't affected by it. Trauma has a couple symptoms like depression and dissassociation. Both of these things can cause that dullness in emotion and attachment, and also the lack of memories. You were young and hadn't had much experience with death yet, most likely. Perhaps how your brain thought to protect you, was that if you didn't care about the dying person, you wouldn't be hurt if they did die. Unfortunately, that means it's more difficult to feel positive emotions as well as negative ones.
Having a parent be sick can be very distressing for children. They have to grow up quicker because their parents aren't there to protect them the way healthy ones would be. There may even be some resentment, which is natural. Anger that your mother wasn't there for you when you needed. Angry at her selfishness. I know this will sound really extreme, but sometimes we can't help irrational emotions. The best way to combat them isn't to deny them or to downplay them but rather to fully accept that they are there, and to kind of talk it out with yourself. Acknowledge them because it's natural, but then remind yourself about the fact that it was no one's fault. Illnesses often have very extreme effects of blame but it is no one's fault.
The guilt that you feel about not feeling enough... I'm pretty sure that you probably felt too much, but didn't know how to register or process it. That is very common in trauma, and although your mother survived, it does not mean that the whole situation wasn't traumatic, considerring it was probably several months worth of extreme stress.
I too felt distance when my animals have died. I'm pretty sure it's my brain trying its best to cope with the sadness and helplessness, and I try my best to remind myself of that because I know that I love them, but I also know I've been through a lot that can affect how I perceive emotions.
I know you're scared about talking to your mother about this, but it could be that you all could support each other with those memories. I'm sure a lot of it haunts her as well and you could find solace in talking to each other about it. This happened to your whole family.
Thanks so much for sharing your story, and I hope something either here in TS or in 7cups generally helps you.