Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What does the word trauma mean to you?

User Profile: Laura
Laura December 10th, 2014

Share here.

19
User Profile: IAmStillHere
IAmStillHere April 15th, 2015

Trauma, for me, means an experience that leaves you broken, scared to move, and haunted by it everyday. It means wanting to say something only for it to come back and sew your lips back together. It means not being able to look at everything the same again. Its fighting and wondering if it'll be worth it in the end.

User Profile: Lilyyoung78667
Lilyyoung78667 April 15th, 2015

Trauma means for me my days, when I saw my crush and my cheeks turn red or pink. When I'm laughing with my friends. Enjoying the last moment of my life. When all the problems turn white. When I sing. When I do the things that I love. When I'm with my family in a great time. Trauma is..... Me

User Profile: StandForFreedom
StandForFreedom August 5th, 2015

I am not always the greatest at explaining what something means to me, so I cheated a little bit and googled the word trauma.
What came up is that trauma is 'a wound', both physically, or psychologically.
And to me, that is so true.
In my life, trauma has hurt me, and confused me, and left me feeling wounded.
But what I find so comforting is that, like a physical wound, trauma can be healed.
It might take time, and attention, and a lot of pain but full healing will come!
And that is so comforting to me!

User Profile: openheart92
openheart92 October 29th, 2015

@StandForFreedom

I totally agree, thank you :)

A wound is a really wonderful analogy for trauma. Even after the event, it hurts and affects you and leaves its mark. Even if it leaves a scar, you can heal.

load more
User Profile: openheart92
openheart92 October 29th, 2015

I see trauma as anything that continues to distress or affect you in whatever way to whatever degree after the event is over and "dealt with" in a literal sense.

User Profile: TheHoneyDoll
TheHoneyDoll October 11th, 2017

@Laura

Trauma in my eyes is something we can never fully overcome. It will always be there, always feel like a part of us, and sometimes even change who we are in terms of beliefs, behaviors, and more. We remember it, are haunted by it, and are hurt by whatever happened...Trauma varies by person to person. What one person considers trauma, another person may not but all trauma is valid.

On the other hand, I believe it is not a hopeless or dooming sentence. I believe we can overcome the symptoms of it. I believe people are not at fault for the trauma they must live with. I believe trauma is a sad fate for anyone to go through and that no one should go through it but I also believe in the strength of people.

Anyone and everyone can move forward from trauma and live a well life in the end, even if it is always there. I believe in everyone who goes through trauma and believe that no matter what caused their trauma, they are valid and deserve respect and love just like anyone else heart​​​​