Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What does the word trauma mean to you?

User Profile: Laura
Laura December 10th, 2014

Share here.

19
User Profile: professionalDeer72
professionalDeer72 March 23rd, 2015

a wake up call ... this is what it means to me

User Profile: Brokemind
Brokemind March 23rd, 2015

Trauma = my childhood

1 reply
March 24th, 2015

This.yes

load more
User Profile: creativeLion138
creativeLion138 March 24th, 2015

Trauma = a horrible experience or event in life.

1 reply
User Profile: Kayleethereforyou
Kayleethereforyou October 5th, 2015

@creativeLion138

I like this definition. Very simple and direct. Trauma is definitely a horrible experience that makes it tough for us to move forward. Thank you for sharing :)

load more
User Profile: redlotus
redlotus March 24th, 2015

Something vicious that shouldn't happen to anyone. Something that shakes you to the core leaving you feeling vulnerable and helpless.

User Profile: whyme11
whyme11 March 29th, 2015

Traumatic experiences are events that totally change your life. If it is something that happens from another person, like a parent, it can take away your security and childhood, from someone who would normally protect you. Ive had them as a child and adult and it leaves me with trust issues for most people.

User Profile: reservedAvocado6668
reservedAvocado6668 March 29th, 2015

When you cant get that stupid song from the movie Airplane out of your head and want to sing it every time you get out of bed. You know the one I'm talking about. Thanks a ton ethel merman and everything's coming up roses.

User Profile: Cinnamon
Cinnamon March 31st, 2015

I believe the word trauma can have a different meaning to many people. In general it is an experience that basically makes you feel threatened, as if you cannot escape, your life is in danger.

For myself, the word trauma brings up so many things. I was attacked with a knife in a sexual situation when I was VERY young and it almost killed me. My mother and father told me I was only 2 when it happened but I swear I was 4. That started a slew of sexual misconduct by more people as I was raised in what I can only describe as a "cult-like" atmosphere. Trauma also means torture to me. It also means people knowing, such as doctors but not doing anything about it.
Most importantly, trauma is real, takes many forms, and hopefully all of us here can go through this together.

1 reply
User Profile: Kayleethereforyou
Kayleethereforyou October 5th, 2015

@Cinnamon

Wow, thank you so much for sharing this with me and the others. You have been through a tough situation, but your ability to talk about it shows how strong you are. I love your definition too. Beautiful job..

load more
User Profile: Cinnamon
Cinnamon March 31st, 2015

I also wanted to add that trauma is being afraid. Afraid to talk about it, afraid to move sometimes, and just full of fear. That is trauma. A state of mind you can't shake.

User Profile: RoohPooh77
RoohPooh77 March 31st, 2015

It's a trial you had to go through that taught you and scared you all the same

User Profile: stardancer714
stardancer714 April 15th, 2015

Trauma to me means an event that occurred in a life that continues to devastate them and affect how they cope with the aftermath of their daily life.