Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

came out of 20+ years of narc abuse only for in laws to be narcs too

User Profile: epilepticghost23
epilepticghost23 July 31st, 2023

I married out of over 20 years of severe narc abuse, only to find out that my in-laws are also narcs. Thankfully we ended up getting disowned by them when they started a conflict and weren't prepared for me to push back, as opposed to their kids being conditioned to let it all happen. Now I'm a year in and the chronic health problems from living in such extreme stress constantly and the medical neglect are still surfacing, I'm having constant nightmares revolving around the same four themes, and I think I'm going to have to address some repressed memories of possible s*xual abuse from an age I may be too young to remember to begin with. Heap on a good bit of religious trauma with all that from both sides. I'm so overwhelmed by everything I have to process and it seems like every day I'm finding more and more problems that I need to heal from, more mannerisms that stemmed from the abuse, more mental and physical health conditions that probably could have been prevented or at least managed better before they got this bad. I know my SO is also dealing with similar things and I feel bad, but I just don't have the emotional or mental space to be able to properly support them most of the time. I don't even know how to help myself to be honest.

2
User Profile: Barltik2065
Barltik2065 August 1st, 2023

@epilepticghost23

Hello Ghost,

Let me start with Welcoming You to 7 Cups. You are obviously an Outstanding and Wonderful person, you have proven it by being Here! You are Acknowledged, Valued, and Strong. We are a judgement free community and we care about you. You are Not Alone.

It has taken a great about courage to share as you have and I say again, you are amazing. Many years of abuse, disowned by the In-Laws, Chronic Health problems, and religious trauma. Your feelings and concerns are valid ones, it is ok to have them today. I would be overwhelmed also.

I would say We should take things one step at a time and when you are comfortable talk with one of our Verified Listeners, click here for the list of Active Listeners. Also here is the Self-Help Guides. Browse through them.

We are here and you not alone in this.

User Profile: TangibleSoul
TangibleSoul August 2nd, 2023

@epilepticghost23 Pleasant evening ghost. As an experiencer of narcissistic/emotional abuse, I validate your painful journey. I have only in the last week began my healing journey. Your words resonated within me. We are not alone and we will make this life worth living. :)