Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Do you have your own personal content thresholds (such as for violence or sex) for the movies and TV shows that you watch?

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 December 28th, 2021

Hey all!

So I thought this would be an interesting point of discussion, and maybe thought-provoking as well.

I was recently recommended this show to watch by a friend. As someone who loves well-written stories and narratives, it was certainly up my alley that way. However, the show was also full of tremendous amounts of violence and associated gore.

Now I realize that we all won't and don't have the same sensitivities, but for me, it was a little too much.

For myself, I've noticed that the tone of the content in a show seems to largely determine whether or not I continue watching, if that makes sense.

So yeah, do any of you have any sort of personal filters/thresholds for your viewing media?

17
User Profile: Jet01
Jet01 December 29th, 2021

@sereneSunset26


Oooh this is really interesting and not something I get to think about or discuss very often.

I think for me I do have a limit for gore, and sexual things. I am more of a cutesy kind of person so if there is any romance I am much happier if it is more of cute dates or little things if that makes sense. As for gore type content, I have a pretty high tolerance, I just don't care for when it is excessive or illogical.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 29th, 2021

@Jet01

Same, honestly!

Those filters/thresholds would seem to match your personality, for sure. And if you don't mind me asking, for gore, what types of situations qualify it to you for being excessive or illogical? I've always been interested in the perspectives of others, especially on this kind of a topic. :)

User Profile: Mashedpotato364
Mashedpotato364 April 10th, 2022

Cutesy stuff is my absolute favorite! It leaves me feeling warm and fuzzy w a smile. Sex scenes are ok for me but can definitely be awkward when other people are around or walk in at exactly that moment lol. They are often cringey though especially when one person is more into it than the other.

load more
User Profile: Mashedpotato364
Mashedpotato364 April 10th, 2022

Hi I love this question. I have a very low tolerance for violence, especially if it's a large group fighting or an over powering person fighting someone who has no chance. I don't think most popular showers or movies because of it. However small amounts are ok. For example I have a weak spot for vampires and that usually comes w at least some. I think the fantasy part helps to lessen the reality of things. Gore is ok though! Medical instances or wounds or the like don't bother me.

Another thing I have a lot tolerance for is Christianity based media. It leaves me w a deep pit in my stomach and nausea. I think it's from last religious trauma. The exception is when it's told from a point of view from someone questioning or rebelling, like a queer person standing up against homophobic teachings.


User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP April 11th, 2022

@Mashedpotato364

Thank you for your responses to this thread!!

For myself, I have much more of a sensitivity to violence. It's sort of ironic, I can watch surgery, autopsies--the body and everything with it really does not bother me. But, I think it's the tone of violence that can really get to me, if that makes any sense. Obviously if there's a lot of blood and gore with the violence that doesn't help. But it's almost like (for me) it's the vibe/feeling of the violence that I'm sensitive to the most.

As for your other paragraph, yeah, I can personally relate to that one as well; I went through decades of religious trauma growing up.

User Profile: Mashedpotato364
Mashedpotato364 April 13th, 2022

It seems like we are similar in this way. The vibe for sure makes a difference! Like it depends on the intension behind the acting violence. Are they rebelling against some sorry of harm or evil? Then ok, understandable in small doses. Are there two opposing sides and wanting to be right out conquer? Definitely not into it.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP April 13th, 2022

@Mashedpotato364

I definitely vibe with that vibe, haha! :)

But yeah, I feel like my psyche knows innately what its boundaries are as well as why.

load more
User Profile: Mashedpotato364
Mashedpotato364 April 13th, 2022

Also I'm sorry you had to deal w that growing up. It's hard to deal w and I know I'm still feeling the effects from it after 10 years away.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP April 13th, 2022

@Mashedpotato364

Thank you, and same to you, honestly. <3

It's only been three years since I've been able to fully pull back all the layers on my trauma, and I know that my recovery is going to be lifelong, and in some ways, one day at a time.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: quietWater6398
quietWater6398 April 13th, 2022

I I stay away from movies that have a lot of violence for violence sake, I mean when a character is being mean and violent towards someone just because they enjoy it! Or when they torture someone and are really enjoying it. It makes me sick to my stomach. I usually will walk away or change the channel so I don’t see it! If people are fighting and they both are able to hit each other and fight it doesn’t seem to bother me! I do like the romantic movies. Nice and sweet! Happy movies!!!

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP April 13th, 2022

@quietWater6398

That definitely makes sense to me. I think it is fair to say that most of us do not have a sadistic side to ourselves, and our psyches are thereby repulsed by such behavior.

load more
User Profile: SukhiDaRusski
SukhiDaRusski July 4th, 2022

Honestly, it wasn't until recently, but I've started to get triggered by violence in some shows and movies. Especially knife violence. PTSD has never been an issue before when it came to movies and whatnot, because I could always tell myself that it was just acting or makeup. Long story short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that my threshold suddenly changed drastically lol

User Profile: LilMayer22
LilMayer22 September 25th, 2025

I had the same thing happen, I would get panic attacks too if I stumbled upon horror or too much violence. It was all the work of my generalized anxiety.

load more
User Profile: LilMayer22
LilMayer22 September 25th, 2025

I used to hate horror genre bc I got to scared... Now I watch horror game walkthroughs on a regular basis because of the thrill, curiosity, easy dopamine and adrenaline rush. It's funny, but I don't watch gore, for me Corpse Party anime is as much as I want to see from guts and blood flying in the air. And obviously, I HATE torture content, I can't watch scenes like in the Apostle, it's too real. Weirdly enough, I'm not repelled by incest, as I never had a close relationship with my own family. Other people find Bates Motel or Flowers in the Attic gross, while I found the characters and story intriguing since I didn't have to worry about fighting feelings of disgust.

Now, when it comes to the tone, I'm weirdly fascinated by angles/shots that appeal to a psychological genre, like in Donnie Darko or Ratched.

I don't have white girl threshold or tastes when it comes to what I watch. I lurk more in the dark corner a Starbucks watching all the girls enjoy pumpkin latte, while I drink an expresso with no sugar. That's how it feels.

User Profile: Dreamsarebiggerthanfears
Dreamsarebiggerthanfears September 27th, 2025

I stay away from movies that have very graphic gore and SA scenes. I find it completely unnecessary and I think it adds nothing to the plot. I think it's just a way to torture the audience.