How to get rid of depression?

344 Answers.
How to get rid of depression?
Top Rated Answer
braveNight89
Depression is something you can get rid of over time, and here's how: lot's of hard work! Depression is a journey in which you learn more about yourself. It shows how strong you are, because depression is a war that each individual fights to win. I've been depressed for a long time. It comes and goes, and every time I feel it coming back I know I need to be willing to ask for help if I can't handle it on my own. You can beat depression and don't forget when you feel down there is always someone who loves you, who wants you to feel better than 100%, who will not give up on you
Newest Answer
Anonymous
depression is not something you can just get rid of, the battle against depression is a long and tiring one, but the day you find yourself laughing at the silliest thing and realizing you're happy again, in that moment all the fight will be worth it

Want to better understand yourself?

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
AmazingAmz8
it's not always curable... sometimes people have bad bouts of it and don't go out for weeks/months... there are positive distraction techniques I always tell my members about a depression first aid kit that can ease depression when it hits you hard...
Whisperingwoods
Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.
Anonymous
Clinical depression is not something you can get rid of. No need to fear! There are many ways to minimize it to the point of it not interfering with life.
Anonymous
Yeah of course :) Depression is curable and is usually much easier than you think. A doctor may be able to provide medication to help you achieve this, or you can take a look at the depression support guides we have here to help you see different ways to potentially achieve this.
silverMusic21
yes, you can . First of all it depends upon how bad your condition is . If it is normal then you can get rid of it by trying a little harder . Avoid staying alone and do things that you love to do . Stay engaged in your hobbies or hang out with your friends. Another thing i heard is that eating bananas can help in a way .As bananas contain tryptophan, the same compound in turkey meat that promotes a calm, relaxed mood, bananas are also said to aid in relieving the symptoms of depression. Combined with the benefits of B vitamins, the conversion of tryptophan into serotonin, the so-called "happy hormone," helps improve mood and overall feelings of well-being. "Keeping your B vitamin intake up could ward off depression as you age," explains Emily Main in a Rodale News article. "[W]hen you combine food sources of B vitamins with the added boost of supplements, the positive effects on depression are more pronounced." And if it is more serious you need to consult a therapist or psychiatrist . And remember one thing you're an important part of this world and you are amazing in your own way . Saty happy cause you deserve it.
Anonymous
Yes you can get rid of depression. You first need to understand what the trigger of the depression is and seek help by a professional if you cannot figure this out on your own.
Anonymous
Depression, like any other feeling, fades away. This takes time, but feelings do not last for ever. We need to express depression and be patient until it goes.
PaintsGrayscaleHearts
You don't get rid of depression, you learn how to cope and reduce further depressive mode to a minimum level to depressive free :)
Anonymous
Depression feels like a very dark place in your life but you can beat it. Things do get better with time and you can as well. Surround yourself with loving people and other things that make you happy. The depression will fade. Believe in yourself.
Erynn
It is possible, depending what type of depression you have. Chronic depression will probably still around your whole like, but there are situationally-specific depressions or other depressive episodes that, after time has passed will fade. You can always learn to monitor and control your depression through, through therapy like CBT, DBT, and ACT which can help you learn how to challenge your thoughts and change your moods.
Anonymous
Not totally, I think that it will always be there in the back of your mind, no matter how small that thought it, it will always be there.
Anonymous
In my opinion, yes. Where there is a will, there is a way. Many people who have suffered depression have been convinced that there is no end to it. The mind is a very powerful thing, and in order to change that, you've got to believe in your heart that it IS possible to overcome it. Think of those bad days or bad times as downfalls. They're normal. Everyone makes mistakes once in awhile. If you make a mistake, earn from it. You want to keep moving forward. You are the boss of you. Try to help yourself because no doubt others are available to help you, but nothing will progress if the effort from yourself isn't there. Only you can change the way you think, so think positively! Don't dwell on the past. It is tough, but definitely achievable and absolutely worth it :)
Dhara94
Yes, it's not difficult and definitely not at all impossible. Pain, whatever be it- physical or mental has a lot to do with how we control our minds. Depression too, depends on how much we are willing to let go of our ddemented selves by controlling our thought procees as such. The other day, I read about this procedure called 'Repression' where we are asked to corner every thought linked with the reason of our depression and to keep it buried down until we have finally gathered courage to accept and fight truth. This I believe, will be of immense help to those who think they're not strong enough to fight depression. Above all, Prayers. Everything will be fine, in the end. its always been.
KnownEnigma
Keep in mind, depression is something that is triggered from an event in someone's past. It isn't like an infection, it's a part of your psyche. Getting "rid" of depression is hard, but you can most definitely tame your depression, so to speak. It's possible to make it so that your depression does not affect your life so harshly, but I don't believe you can completely wipe it from your mind. It will always be in your past, but it doesn't have to affect your every day activities. I hope that answers your question.
Anonymous
It is possible to recover with lots and lots of hard work. Just know it will not happen overnight. Best of luck! :)
purplesunny98
One does not simply get rid of it. BUT! My mother has a beautiful system that works brilliantly for me! There are 3 things you can do when you have a problem: 1. Talk to someone. 2. Try to solve it. And 3. Distract yourself.
Lior
Yes. Medications, therapists, self-work, friends. There are many things that can help you to get rid of depression and it's possible. A lot of people suffered, are suffering or will suffer from depression in their lives and most of them will laso get rid of it. It takes work and sometimes look like a dead-end, but it's possible.
perfectluvv
Depression will always be somewhere in your life, whether it's far away or surrounding you. You have to accept that and learn how to move on so it won't be surrounding you all the time.
AuntieRuth
I went through depression. I understand it. I think one of the best quotes I've ever heard about depression said something along the lines of "depression is not just being overly sad when something goes wrong, it's being overly sad even when everything is going right." It is hard to get out of. It is a mindset that just seems to possess you with no ryhme or reason as to why it chose to attack you. But, honestly, I have found that the best way to get out of depression is socialization and outdoor activity. Being with other people can lift your spirits and the outdoors can help you clear your brain. If you enjoy working out, phsyical activity is also one of the best ways to beat depression. I hope that your depression comes to a close and you find a way to overcome it :)
Laurapandora
I think depression is fickle. For some it can go away for days, weeks, months. Years. Sometimes forever. I think it depends on the person's mental state, and willingness to change. For some, it's easier than others. For many, depression is always on your shoulder, waiting to strike. It's a demon. But it's a defeatable demon. And you can push back. And though it might never go away, you can always fight back, and win.
Sammy01
Absolutely. Some people struggle with mental illness all their lives, but they still learn how to function and be happy much of the time. They still have fulfilling lives. For others, depression is just a stage of life that passes completely. Either way, cliche though it is, the pain will pass and you will get better.
Anonymous
of course! depression is different for different people. going through depression i have come to realize that is all in your head. yes! thats it. its all in your head. things might be horribly wrong at times. relationships might not work, stress at work place. but we need to take a moment and think, what is this stress for? these relationships? its for your happiness right. if it doesn't make u happy then move on. its in your hands. choose what makes you happy and not sad. It isn't that difficult how it sounds. The key is to believe in yourself. If you fail to believe in yourself and be negative about you, people will do the same and they will love to put you down, trust me on that. At times we need to be selfish and do what we want, what makes us happy, take those decisions. Don't let others decide for your life. Don't let others describe you. Stand up for yourself. Love yourself. Just by making few changes in your thinking you can overcome depression.
Anonymous
No. I think depression can be overcomed is some type of way but depression kind of sticks to you. It can be recurring if the person is in a deep situation again.
Orchid17
Depression is a mental disorder. Some people take pills while others try remedies like meditation and positive thinking. You can never really 100% get rid of depression but if you have Faith, Trust and (no not Pixie Dust) those around you who care for you, depression will seem like a bug you can squish rather than an entire army of bugs.
rhea752
Depression may always be a part of your life but it is manageable!! In my opinion it is always waiting for you even when you feel you have "gotten rid of it" But you can stay on top of it and lead a happy life :)
Anonymous
Yes sure,I remembered about my old hobbie.Its chess,I played from morning till night and it took all my attention.Forgot about depression.
Anonymous
From my personal opinion: It is of utmost importance that you first accept depression. Accept it as being a part of yourself. Look at it from a positive point of view. Sometimes, looking at it as your 'enemy', hinders the process of coping. Just like you do with a friend: get to know it. For example: what triggers it? Understand its' nature. The mind and the body will both be at more peace after having accepted depression as being a part of them. I believe this is the greatest milestone one has to achieve. Coping methods will work much better, because you are not tackling something which you hate, but your tackling something that belongs to you. It will serve as a method of reinforcement and motivation.
ShannynMayyy
Depression can be hard to understand, I think the first step of getting better or as you said 'Getting rid of' depression, is noticing the depression. The second step, I think would be to tell somebody, whether it be a friend or a school teacher, its always easier when you have a good support system behind you. The next step I feel would be to ask for a consultation with a doctor, and maybe talk to a counsellor. From there, it should go pretty uphill :]
TheComedyTragedy
Yes, some people suffer with bouts of depression - are treated with medication or therapy, or a mixture of both and recover to thrive with the rest of their lives.
Caregiver1012
i think you can find a way to cope with it but never fully get rid of it. It will always be a part of you.
Anonymous
Depression can't be "rid of". It's that type of illness that even if you think you got rid of it, it'll come back and bite you in the butt.
Charlotte54
Research has supported the idea that depression can be both circumstantial and/or genetic. Depression is more commonly found to be circumstantial and it is the changes to a person's lifestyle/addition of medication & therapy that can 'rid' them of their depression. However, genetic depression is slightly more ambiguous in the sense that, the majority of the time, it cannot simply be eliminated. However, it can be managed - very effectively, in fact - using therapy and medication.
Anonymous
You can overcome. Depression is a feeling in the back of your mind i believe it will never truly go, but you can overcome. You can change over time and learn to not let it consume you or rule your life. You are you're own person and you control your emotions, Not the other way.
Kitty8
I wish you could get rid of depression. I wish I could get over my depression at times too. But there's a lot of ways you can deal with depression. Sometimes people go for medications because sometimes it's a chemical imbalance in our brain that makes dealing with life just too hard. But for those of you who aren't into medication, distracting yourself and practicing your coping skills will help you get through it. Finding the motivation to do daily things, even the things you used to enjoy is really hard when fighting depression. Trust me, I know. But I think it's important that no matter how bad of a day you're having, you tell yourself when you wake up that you will try to do something that you used to enjoy. Or maybe even try something completely new to give you back some motivation. Important thing is that no matter how tough it seems right now, you will get through it. You are not alone.
Anonymous
Of course you can! You may not be able to get rid of it on your own, but with the help of friends, family, doctors, and sometimes some medications, you'll get better!
Ifeelthesameway
Getting rid of depression can take a long process depending on the cause of it. But despite that it is still better to take it slow and not hurry it too much because you might not find who you really are in the process.
iluvcupc4k35
I believe you can push it away for a long while, but every now and then it's going to get you back and then you gotta be strong and not let it overwhelm you.
butterflykisses27
Depression is not something you get rid of. But it can be managed. Medication from your local doctor can help with managing depression that has gone on for a long period of time. Meditation, counseling, yoga anything that gets you out of thinking about yourself or changing your situation helps.
Anonymous
Yes you can get rid of depression. It gets better and the best way is to get the right help you need
Anonymous
Yes, it is possible. It may go away for quite some time, but it can also come back. There's no way to know for sure when depression will go away or come back. Traumatic experiences or hard times can trigger it.
Anonymous
As a person with depression, I can honestly say that it is difficult. But you just need to get rid of anything that reminds you of the pain that you've been through. Delete: sad songs, quotes, pictures, remove anything negative in your life. And replace them with positive things.
LilahRenea
I think focusing on what is going on and making you feel the ways you do is one great way to help. Take mental health days that do nothing but you feel cozy and in a safe place.
Anonymous
The best way to handle depression is by getting support and help from friends, family and professionals.
callmeKay
As for me, I get through depression by counting the endless bless bestowed upon me. Being grateful has halfway solved my issue. Well, at least a good start. :)
Millichidulinas
You can try to focus on the things you have and you love. Just forget the things you can't have and see the world as a beautiful thing.
Anonymous
Get rid of might not be the right phrase, but depression can be controlled and managed to the point where it doesn't affect your day-to-day life anymore. There are a lot of ways to do this like therapy, medication, and other lifestyle changes. There is always, always hope!
Dylannerdy15
I have struggled wi depression for a few years now and I've personally never gotten rid of it. It might go away for a few months for me and then come back for a few weeks. I've never gotten rid of it personally but that doesn't mean everyone can't get rid of it. I'm sure there are lots of people who get rid of depression and live happy lives. So keep positive and you never know what comes with a new day!
Anonymous
Depends on each person. Some can have therapy to change mindsets and genuinely change their lives. Others can be medicated or have therapy in a bid to control, or live with depression. Each circumstance is different.
Anonymous
The more you fill your life with positivity and optimism, the easier it becomes to cope with and overcome a hurdle like depression. Setting short-term goals, such as finishing a book or even taking care of your body every day, and long-term goals, such as graduating or starting a profession, can aid in keeping yourself proceeding forward.
Recent Answers
Dana13
First step is to admit that you have a problem, then you need to find the roots of the depression and what evoked it in the first place, try to evaluate the reasons, begin working on fixing the problems that makes you depressed, and always remember that it doesn't get solved over night, it needs patience and commitment :)
Luie
Depression is difficult. Because everyone feels different. There is no way I can tell you to get rid of depression etc. because you simply have to find a way out yourself. You can do it. I believe in you. Get yourself help, visit a therapist, visit me for a little talk maybe... You ARE going to find a way out there. Just believe in yourself, I know its difficult.
neverendingWhisper36
Depression is in the mind, if you can find inner peace in your mind you will be fine. Take up a new hobby that you'll enjoy or try to tell someone your feelings before they build up. If you are more of a private person (like me!) write a diary, just find the best way to express your feelings.
Anonymous
Write down as many things as you can that can make you happy. Try to think of positive things. Having a positive attitude can make a difference.
xcxmotionless
For me, distracting myself helps a lot. Try reading a book, drawing, going for a walk or talking to a friend c:
Anonymous
Depression isn't a 1-2-3 boom done thing no, it takes time. Fimnd your happy place, happy thing, or happy person and just spend a lot of time with it or them.
Anonymous
Do more of what you enjoy...believe that you are strong and unique... Socialize and get some therapist advice
SingingPhoenix
Find things to keep you occupied, such as maybe a movie or a book you really enjoy. Maybe take a hot bath, or talk to people you are close to.
Anonymous
I hate anti-depressant drugs (but that's just me) so I would advise you to simply... exercise. Start jogging! It will release endorphins in your system that will make you feel better about everything :)
sunnycappuccino
Depends, is it situational depression or a general theme in your life. If it's a general condition you can learn to cope with therapy... if it's situational , you have to address the situation...
Anonymous
Listen to your favorite songs if you are into music, or just do something you love to do. Don't think of the reason that makes you depressed.
Anonymous
Honestly the best way to get rid of depression is surround yourself with things and people who make you happy and want to live and enjoy life.
Going2BeOkay
You first have to understand that there is no magical overnight "fix". It is a long road to conquer depression. It is hard, but not impossible. Some basic steps are shutting out negative thoughts as soon as they come into your head, and immediately replacing them with good thoughts. Things you find relaxing and calming or really anything that detours you from the negative, Second step is to reach out to someone! I cannot stress that enough. 7cups is an amazing site because it gives people an opportunity to do just that! It really helps to talk and get guidance. If a person could reach out to someone they know, that's even better. But I think it's important for people to know it's okay to reach out for help. It's really hard to go though depression alone. Third is to pick up a hobby. Something that you enjoy. Reading, knitting, yoga, meditation. Something to lift your spirits and keep you pushing forward. Lastly, keep your head up and know that you will recover!
carlier231
You can go to a therapist, psychologist, or doctor for medication and other forms of health. But you need to realize that you're an amazing person, inside and out. You're capable, you matter, and you're important :)
Anonymous
The first step is to admit you have it and you really don't want to let it win. Depression is something that grips you and takes away the joy you feel over just doing the small things. The cure is different for all but I find that sharing with someone who can relate to you if a good start. If you prefer asking for professional help, that is alright too. The point is to find what causes you to feel depressed and sort it out before you reinvent yourself and find something awesome in living life again and doing the small things that you love so much.
Anonymous
Depression isn't easy to get out of, but if you look around you and see, realize and feel all the good things you have missed out on because of your depression, you realize that you were depriving yourself of the things that could possibly make you happy because of the things that make you sad and depressed. It gets easier when you start looking out of the circle of depression you put yourself in and see the whole universe of happy possibilities.
Anonymous
Talk to someone,, find something that makes you feel good and do more of it, go walking, seek counseling or therapy
oj1711
March 23rd, 2016 12:30pm
Ohh.. That's the question that cannot be answered, like seriously, you can't get rid of depression you just learn how to live with it.
RedRose82
There is no easy way to get rid of depression. The important thing to do is figure out the root of the problem and do your best to acknowledge it and accept it. And from there you could work on finding solutions to it.
Alien10
Solve the issues that make you depressed . Usually getting into the right friend company solves it.dd
OrchidSpring
Hangout and talk with friends and family about depression. Start a new activity you enjoy. Exercise, eat right, and appreciate the small things in life.
HeavenlyHope2042
Depression is something that people under estimate. I would suggest seeking professional help and taking guidance from them. Realizing your self worth is one of the most important steps in fighting depression
Anonymous
One of the best ways to combat depression is to be active and to connect with other people. Exercise is an excellent choice; go on a hike, ask a friend to join you at the gym, talk a walk with your dog. Volunteer work is another way to accomplish this, as it will get you out of yourself, give you positive feedback, and bring you in contact with others. Taking care of yourself will also help. Do something that you find enjoyable--see a favorite movie, treat yourself to a special meal, give yourself the time and space to read a book you will enjoy, call a friend.
Anonymous
Do something that make you happy. Something that makes you smile. Chat with people who lift you up. Not tear you down.
fantasticLove41
You can't automatically get rid of depression you have to take steps and achieve your goal try and relax and think of of what started your depression and then trying improve your state of mind hope I helped
Anonymous
Depression is not something that you can get rid of. It is something that will affect the decisions you make and the behaviors you exhibit in the long run. What you can do however, is learn how to manage Depression healthily such that you are still able to do what you love and live Life.
Vivianabella
it depends on what your depression was triggered from, there's many ways to aid it until it is fully cured. try finding things that make you happy, playing games, doing sports, singing, acting, there's endless things you could do! try looking for new friends and let loose a bit, you may feel no motivation to, but doing something you enjoy with express yourself and let the sadness and anger away.
BenS
Spend as much time as possible doing what you love, with those you love. In short, if you live doing it, do it, and fill your day with it! Try running, martial arts, meditation, tennis, football, rock climbing! Get some new hobbies!
Anonymous
Depression is hard to get ride of but that doesn't mean its not possible. The first step would be to tell someone how you are feeling and let it all out.
Anonymous
By Learning a way to cope with it because people who are diagnosed with depression can make it go away.