Why can't I look at myself without seeing the most horrible thing ever?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
March 22nd, 2015 6:09am
I think that self perception tends to lean towards being negative when we aren't feeling good about ourselves. While people around us take us on face value, the reflection we see in the mirror can be a reflection of both our physical selves and our mental wellbeing. This can make what we see feel horrible to ourselves.
Eluna
When you look in the mirror, you see all the flaws that have ever been on your body. You judge yourself harshly, you are your own worst critic. You over-exaggerate your flaws and you continue to hurt your own self-esteem. Sometimes people contribute to this, but a lot of the times you are your own worst critic. It's hard to not judge yourself so harshly.
Anonymous
Thats the View you Set upon yourself and others might not feel the same way and Your Beautiful to me
Anonymous
Because you want to see the bad things. Forget bad things everyone has them not just you. If people see the good, you can.
yano1kr
accept yourself.love yourself.i see myself ugly as hell too but i accept how i look because that's how i am and i can't change it
Anonymous
Lack of self-confidence. The solution to this is to build self-confidence. To do that, do some things that will make *you* proud. Not anyone else, *you*. Yes, it feels great to have your mom and dad pat you on the back and congratulate you for that good test grade, but if *you* are not satisfied with yourself, then no amount of others congratulating you will help. You need to either realize that what you've done is amazing and wonderful and totally unique in the world or start doing some things that'll make you proud.
avocadoallyson
Looking in the mirror can be very stressful. We know our bodies better than anyone else so it is much easier to see our flaws than our beauty. Try focusing on the parts of you that you like. I really like my eyes and look at them first when I look in the mirror. I don't really like how my thighs look, but when I get negative thoughts about them, I remind myself that they keep me strong and functioning.
softNutella25
It's easy for us to look in the mirror and only see the things that we perceive as "ugly" or "bad", but we are typically our own worst critics. If this is causing you severe distress, think about talking to a mental health professional to rule out issues such as body dysmorphic disorder.