Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Is there a name for when you can love both genders romantically but only one sexually?

3 Answers
Last Updated: 03/05/2020 at 2:00pm
1 Tip to Feel Better
United States
Moderated by

Meredith Seltzer, LPC

Licensed Professional Counselor

The therapeutic relationship can assist you in accomplishing your goals and clarifying your wants and needs. As a skilled counselor and therapist I will help you along the way

Top Rated Answers
March 3rd, 2020 4:07pm
Of course! Sexual attraction and romantic attraction are similar but can operate independently of another. I’m going to throw some terms your way; you can chose whether to use them or not. Having romantic attraction to two genders is biromantic. However, if the attraction extends to all genders, it can be either panromantic if gender matters, or omniromantic if it doesn’t. Depending on what gender you are sexually attracted to, you could be either homosexual(if the attraction is to the same binary gender), heterosexual(if the attraction is to the ‘opposite’ binary gender), or skoliosexual(if the attraction is to non-binary genders). In the end, it’s up to you to decide if you want to use labels and what labels you would like to use. No matter what you go with, you are valid! I hope this was helpful!
March 4th, 2020 8:00pm
Your romantic orientation does not have to match your sexual orientation. For example, you can be bi-romantic or pan-romantic and heterosexual or homosexual. You can even be, for example, pan-romantic and asexual, or a-romantic and pansexual. You also don't need to label yourself, if you don't want to.
March 5th, 2020 2:00pm
Do you know the split attraction model? You should look it up! It allows you to name your sexual and romantic attractions separately, e.g. Heterosexual Biromantic or Homosexual Biromantic. Not everybody likes to use the split attraction model but it's perfect for when your types of attraction don't match up, which is a normal and valid way to be. By the way, you could also use Monosexual (Attraction to one gender), Androsexual (Attraction to Men) or Gynesexual (Attraction to Women) instead of hetero or homo (that's especially useful if you're nonbinary and hetero and homo would misgender you but actually anyone can use these other terms) I hope that helps!