How do you come to terms with the death of a parent?

South Africa

Claudette Pretorius, MA Counselling Psychology

I know how overwhelming it can feel when you're having a tough time. I offer clients a space that is non-judgemental and empathetic whilst navigating these times together.

MrsTunechi
Grief is the price of love, If you were fortunate enough to love, the death of a loved one brings a depth of pain proportionate to your love. This loss is a truly heavy cross to bear. We must realize that we can survive the shock and trauma that initially accompanies death. However healing from the grief can take years, possibly an entire lifetime. Acceptance of a death doesn't mean you will stop missing your loved one. Rather acceptance is a part of the responsibility placed on us. Acceptance cannot be done for you, it is your undertaking. Over time it wont hurt as much or as often. Through acceptance you will gain wisdom and new perspective. Acceptance is painful lesson we must learn in order to evolve spiritually. Let go of the sorrow and hold onto the love is the best way to look at it.
caringPanda45
Do you ever come to terms with the death of a parent? You will always miss them, need them but given time the crying lessens and the pain becomes manageable. Talk to them all the time even though they aren't there because they can hear you.
Related Questions: How do you come to terms with the death of a parent?
After you lose your best friend, how do you know when grieving them starts?I've not been able to cry for a very long time, and I really need to. Is there a method to induce crying and letting it all out ?When will this grief pain stop?I lost my mom 2 years ago and my best friend was helping me take it day by day. Last week she passed away very unexpectedly. Where do I go from here?I am struggling with loss of loved ones and am not sure how to learn to live with loss? I know being lonely causes me to look back on happier times with them in my life.When the time of my ex - boyfriend's death date comes around, I can't function. I fall into a deep depression. I won't eat or talk to anyone. How do I push myself through his death date?How to cope with grieving the loss of a parent and break up with significant other? Holidays are near. My level grief has increased. I do not want to return to an unhealthy relationship.I am grieving the loss of a parent and also a break up with my significant other. How do I cope with all this?My ex died a few months ago after a drug overdose. I can't stop thinking of him. Our relationship was a mess, but he was the boy I've loved the most. His death I feel is ruining my life. What do i do?I'm a 13 year old boy who lost my pets a month ago and lately I've been feeling a bit sick. Also I feel like I am dying and when they say I'm fine I don't believe them. On top of that I went to 7 doctors. Could this be all from losing my pets or is there something else wrong with me?