How can I stop someone from hurting me when they don't care about my feelings?

302 Answers.
★ This question about Managing Emotions was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.
Top Rated Answer
seighheart
I'm going through this right now.. Its the worst feeling.. Someone answer this please............ :(
Newest Answer
quietEyes9899
The solution is to stop caring about their own feelings. At first you might struggle and feel guilty but emotional detachment works. It frees you, it strengthens you. You achieve this by ALWAYS doing whats best for you or what benefits you eben st the cost of them. Your first priority should be you. Slowly your mindset will shift. You will completely stop caring about them ,your focus will be on you. Then you will truly be free. Funny enough, they will sense a shift in you, that you no longer care, then they'll try to manipulate you or pretend to care. But you never look back ,you keep looking after you and enjoy their newfound grovelling and trying to get emotionally close to you attempts. It works.

Take our free test to better understand yourself and Managing Emotions

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
deepzie
a person can only hurt you when you give them the permission to hurt you or play with your feelings. The best way to stop this from happening is to be strong, take control over your life and dont care for those who make you feel miserable.
TeaWithAFriend
First, ask yourself why you continue to expose yourself to people who don't care about your feelings. Then, if you are able to, walk away from them. Hang up. Change your phone number. Block their email. Delete them on social media or make new social media accounts that they don't know about and delete the old ones. Tell yourself you are DONE with being around people who clearly don't care about your feelings and do not interact with people like that anymore if you continue to meet them. Find new people to be around or figure out how ways to have fun that don't involve other people until you find people you enjoy being around. There are lots of people on the internet so don't limit your interactions with others to people who are physically around. Forgive yourself for having chosen to expose yourself to people who don't care about your feelings and help others do to the same. Have fun and enjoy yourself and simply "change your mind" or change your thoughts when you start thinking about people from the past who hurt your feelings. Eventually, you will forget about those types of people because your time and attention will be taken up by more positive things/people/events/activities etc.
lifelovewhy
Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.
Mila24
If the person knows we are being hurt and doesn't care, the best is to forgive (to not feel pressured or guilty if we do care about this person), but also to keep distance in order to avoid future problems. Also, we must make sure we are communicating our concern in a clear and honest way. Time heals. And you never know, maybe this person will truly feel sorry and come back into our lives in a ver positive manner, like what happened with my mom's brother!
Varee
Ouch! This sounds like a really painful situation. Firstly, it can be worth checking into whether they really don't care... or whether we are making a bit of an assumption about why they're behaving as they do. (Often people's behaviour is driven by their own fears, worries, and hurts - and has nothing to do with us. But I know from personal experience that can be hard to understand on a feelings level) Secondly, it's always worth remembering that other people's behaviour is beyond our control. All we can control is our own thoughts and behaviour. Next, it can be very helpful to think about why what they're doing feels hurtful to us: * does it remind of us an earlier situation, maybe something from when we were very young? * are they touching on something about ourselves we secretly worry about? * are we doing lots for others and getting very tired or drained? * do we have expectations about how they should behave, based on our own preferences? These can help us detangle a situation and see the wood for the trees. But at no point should we ever blame ourselves for other people's behaviour. If we obtain actual evidence that someone genuinely doesn't care about us, it could be useful to do some reflection about why we keep them in our lives: * deep down do we feel we deserve to be treated this way? * are we worried what others might think of us? * do we secretly like the 'drama' and so on. This might sound tough. Here's a thought: if we want to change a situation, we need to look at whether / how we are contributing to it... and how we can change our bit of the situation. Some other people do care about us, but have never learned how to be respectful of our feelings and needs. It will be up to you to decide healthy boundaries for yourself: * experiment with talking to them about how you feel about the situation. Use "I statements" (I.e. "I feel ______ when you __________" And use a real, specific example for that second blank). This works much better than saying something like "You always __________ and it makes me __________" * you might want to consider whether or not to keep such people in your life, or how often to allow them in your life, and in what situations If we decide to have this person in our lives going forward, then we'll benefit from setting some boundaries: * what are all the things you could you try out, to limit the impact this person has on you? * is there personal development work you could be doing to strengthen feeling good about yourself -- no matter what? * what are some healthy ways you could express existing feelings of hurt, anger, frustration and so on? I hope this helps, please do get in touch if you'd like to chat through your situation.
Wes2
If someone doesn't care about your feelings, you don't need to care about what they think of you. It's a simple matter of mutual respect. If that person has such little regard for you, wash your hands of them and pay them no mind.
lucilledaniella
You must really decide to speak for yourself. Someone could really hurt us and even don't care if about our feelings but if you just know your self worth and you love yourself then you would be bold enough to stand firm and say that you deserves so much more than this. Also letting go of those people would put some sunshine on your self esteem. :)
Anonymous
Giving power in someones hand to hurt you, someone who doesn't care about you is just not the thing you wanna do. You need to care about yourself more than anyone.
JGrace1997
A person like that is someone that could be a destructive force in your life. The key is to distance yourself from them as much as possible. Instead, surround yourself with caring people who impact your life in a positive way.
Anonymous
The best decision in my opinion would be to cut them out of your life. People who hurt you and who don't care about your feelings do not deserve a place in your life. Life is too short to let people treat you this way.
Aurelius735
There are people who have the power to make you smile as well as cry and when people become so important in your life, you become weak in front of them. You start living your life the way they want and try to do whatever makes them happy. The day others know their importance they will surely take you for granted.
Ingrid9
From my own lived experience, if I get the sense they do not care, they aren't worth my time anyways. I would just walk away and try to move on as best as I can.
parched
Assuming you've tried to work things out with the individual without success, the next thing you can do is apply the first rule of self-defence: don't be there. Distance yourself from the individual hurting your feelings if possible (even if they're a family member, significant other or close friend, this should still be done if the issues can't be worked out. It may seem like a big step, but life goes on.). If it is highly undesirable or impossible to do that, then the next available recourse is to exert as much control over your own feelings as possible: if what they're saying is not true, then balance its affect by reminding yourself of that fact; spend more time around the warm, helpful people in your life; independently do things that you're proud of to increase your self-esteem. If you grow stronger as a person, you won't care about the lies that others say to you, and will be able to take the truths they say about you and use them to grow even stronger.
silverMusic21
you should try to care a little less about such people , you're completely awesome and you deserve better person in your life .
Mathilde
The answer is within you. If the person won't listen or care, if you have tried and asked them to stop acting hurtfully towards you, and yet they will carry on their actions, in this case it is up to you to not be hurt by them anymore. If you take control over what affects you, either by shutting it out and leaving, or by receiving it differently and with a different angle, you have the power to not be hurt anymore.
Vixiana
Sadly, you can't stop someone from acting a certain way but you can control the way you react to it, the way you feel about it. It's very important to ask yourself why is it you get hurt by what they think, when this person doesn't care about your feelings? If this person keeps hurting you and does not care about you, I don't think they deserve you in the first place.
Tumb13weed
There are two steps to it. They are difficult, yes, but not impossible. The first one is forgiveness. The second, is detachment. If they have hurt you in the past and continue to hurt you, chances are you'll react only because you have not forgiven them. Maybe they have done something quite grave; maybe they hurt you really bad. You ought to forgive them for your own good, not theirs. By forgiving them, you'll feel a lot lighter. Next, detachment. Chances are you have enough on your plate without having to deal with the pain. If a person clearly does not care about you, it will help you a lot if you let them go, detach yourself. There are a lot of other people who will like you, respect you, care about you for who you are. You'll find other people, better people. If you're the one getting hurt, you're the one who can get out of it. Forgive, and let go.
Anonymous
Stopping someone from hurting you when they don't care about your feelings is difficult because you can't control what do to you. All of us have different thoughts, feelings and ideas formed into opinions. Not caring about your feelings will already hurt, but there are other sides to look at. It's a challenge that you can learn and grow from.
Alecia
Explain to them how it makes you feel and have a discussion with them to try and help them understand your situation and there effects they have on you.
Anonymous
Like others have said I would say it depends, but, I think generally, someone that hurts you over and over doesn't care enough. Even if they don't know what they are doing wrong, or have hurt you unintentionally, I think someone who really places your feelings highly, would try and figure out what's happening, or what they could do to change things. I think someone that hurts you over and over could care for you a lot, but maybe care about themselves more, and the benefit they get from hurting you, or probably more likely, care more about not putting themselves through the effort and discomfort of changing the behaviour or investigating the situation more deeply. This would depend on the person knowing they are hurting your feelings, which I think your post suggests they do.
Lovethehurt
The best thing to do is tell someone about it. Maybe an adult you qre close to. The people that pick on you are often hoping that you will get angry or upaet so the best thing to do is also ignore them and eventually they will get bored
Anonymous
Get away from them as much as you can because you're damaging your spirit the more that person is around you.
NJTeleTherapist
First of all, congratulate yourself for recognizing that they do not care and they are hurting you. Your awareness of a situation and facing any reality is key to change. If you do not have a partner in communication with this other person about improving your relationship, you must create a boundary for yourself. That boundary can be emotional and/or physical. You and only you are responsible for protecting yourself and looking out for your best interest. Get away from toxic situations and use your energy to find loving, supportive, substantial relationships that feed your soul. Start with your own relationship with yourself. Best of luck on your journey of self care!
SoulfullAshley
You have to speak up for yourself. You have to stand up for yourself. You cannot expect someone to respect you if you do not respect your own self.
janusheva
First of all you should stop giving yourself expectations that are false, maybe you should try to surround yourself by people who appreciate your presence and notice your absence.There is one quote "When you can't forgive because someone let you down, focus on yourself, not them", this is true because you owe yourself to care for you not for someone else who doesn't even move a finger for you .At the end there is someone out there who cares for you , give that time to them and don't waste it on those who don't care.
flyingbutterfly01
Its always good to move away from such people n move on in life .. Everyone deserves happiness ... Get involved in different activities, it takes some time but it will help
neverendingMelon46
Cutting ties with them, but it takes time to do this, you have to be brave and do it when you're ready. Its horrible to do but you have to think what's best for yourself
sweetWaves68
In my experience, I have found it best to avoid interacting on a personal level with people who don't care about my feelings and could possibly end up hurting me. Anyone who doesn't care about your feelings is not worthy of your time and energy. They have the problem which has nothing at all to do with you. Unfortunetly, there is nothing you can do to change someone who is like that. Care about yourself enough to be around people who love and respect you and will treat you how you deserve to be treated.
Anonymous
i think you simply let go of thhat person theres no trick about it, when you care alot about them everything they do gets to u easily
AcornCactus
If they don't care you have to get rid of those toxic people in your life. You are completely worth it and if someoe can't see that and keep hurting you, then it's their problem
Tomislav
You can't stop them... They will hurt you any way they can. Why? Their bad manners? Lack of care? Bad education and raising? You should care for none od these. Feel no pity towards these people and ignore them. If you cant ignore them and you are forced tobsee them every day, report them. Tell someone. Talk to someone about it, my dear questioner. Find a person who will listen, is it a friend or a professional. Surround yourself with positive things! When these people see that you couldnt care less about them, they will drop the attitude. You are a master of your own hapiness! You deserve to be loved and cared! You dont need these people in your life. Hope this helps.
LightACandle
The best thing to do is walk away. There is nothing I can do with what people choose to do with me. Sometimes it's hard because they have been a part of my life for so much and so long but in the end, the only thing in my control is what I chose to do with me. And I choose to be free of this pain.
Anonymous
One of the things I have done is try to take a "mental step back." I try to distance myself a bit and remind myself that someone not caring is not about me but about them. This often leaves me less vulnerable to emotional reactions to what they say/do. If I can't mentally take that step back, then I try to physically step back--spend less time around them and interact with them less frequently. Finally, I work hard to make sure that someone who I know DOES care for my feelings knows about the situation. I then vent to them and bounce ideas off of them to see if I'm being overly emotional and defensive.
HereToListen2You
You need to forget about them, no matter how long it takes, any memories that you have, in photos or cards, throw them away, you need to remove yourself from a position that makes you feel upset!
amiableAmy
The most efficient way is to limit your exposure to them - unfriend them on social media, block their phone number, don't go place where you know they'll be. Unfortunately, isn't always possible to completely avoid them if the person hurting your feelings is a family member, co-worker, or someone you share many mutual friends with. If this is the case, limit your interaction with them as much as is possible & just try to get through it when you do need to be around them. We can't control the actions of others, but we can control our reactions to them. When they do or say something hurtful, try to keep it in perspective & not let their petty thoughts drag you down.
SalParadise
my mother used to say that a person's opinion on you didn't reflect what you were, but the way that person understands the world therefore understands you; people are going to be mean, some will understand when you tell them you are hurt, and some others will not; but people who are mean or say mean things about you, aren't actually talking about you, they are talking about themselves, their mind, their values. keeping that in mind helped me not be hurt by people who didn't care about me
illkeepit
In that case you just have one last thing to do : cut them out of your life. This might sound harsh and rude to do that, but this is for your own good, and when it comes to you feeling hurt, it is your right to erase the people responsalbe of it. Don't feel guilty about cutting people out of your life, it is your right
nhenshaw
The first step is to remain strong, often people who do not care about your feelings may do everything in their power to break you down and if they are given that opportunity to feed on your emotions, they may just win. Keeping a distance also helps to remove their negativity from hurting you. You should not expose yourself to people who do not care about hurting your feelings because this can affect your self-confidence and self esteem. Life is too short to worry about people like that. Enjoy life and be happy.
brightWords47
They always say, respect yourself enough to walk away from anyone that no longer serves you or cares
Anonymous
The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. Sometimes we have to accept that people we would like to be in our lives don't want to be there. There are a lot of people out there who are worth the effort, but you do have to go through a sorting process until you find them. Decide who is indifferent, who is a friend, and who is a soulmate, and act accordingly. This doesn't mean reciprocate, it means we know the difference between dogs, cats and lions.
Andreeee20
be strong, love yourself for who you are and fight for what you really want, nothing is stronger than you.
butterflykisses27
I firstly try and discuss with the person how I am feeling by what they are doing to me. If they do not listen and it continues I remove them from my life.
ListeningOak
Sometimes if someone is being insensitive and doesn't care how they are causing you to feel, all you can do is separate yourself from them.
Anonymous
When someone wants to hurt you, sometimes they just want to hurt themselves even more. By hurting others, their self loathing becomes justified. "It's okay that I hate myself, I am a bad person because I hurt others". In cases like these, it is best not to respond at all to them, if you can, act like you did not even hear them. This way they know you are not a target and if you keep in mind that they might hate their self, your feelings may be spared. Look at the situation as if they are projecting their own insecurities onto you.
Anonymous
Distance yourself from them until you can figure out if the person is also going trough some hard times or if it is just unhealthy for you to be around them.
originalLion57
Distance yourself from them, remove yourself from their lives as much as you can - if it's in the work place, ignore them as much as possible and focus on your friends or something you really enjoy, like good music or a book or such... If it's in the family, then try to spend time with the family members you love and arrange things where the person who hurts you isn't included... if you can't avoid this person, try as much as possible to show confidence and not walk around like you're ashamed of yourself or feeling sad all the time, don't give them that power... and if you have the courage or will, then sometimes stand up to this person even if it's incredibly difficult and even if your voice shakes, because it can show how you won't let them step all over you. And try to get support from friends or family or others and see if they can help stand up for you in tough situations.
Anonymous
get rid of them, don't stay around people give you negative thoughts and bad feelings. you should be with people who care for you as much as you care for them, not around people hurt you.
Anggi
I think that you can cut all ties with them and just ignore them if they ever try to hurt you again because sometimes they're only doing it for attention. However, if it gets to the point that you think you really can't handle it on your own anymore, then please please reach out for help either to your immediate friends or family or anyone that you think will be able to help you in dealing with it :)
Axks
Short of being clear and direct with a person, there isn't much to do in order to stop them from engaging into hurtful behaviour. Violence is not an option. Retaliation, in any form, is pointless and ultimately degrading. In my experience: nobody could hurt me once I genuinely stopped caring about their opinion and their hurtful ways. You are a beautiful living entity, capable of a great many things, and absolutely detached from any observation or opinion any other person can make up. Make the necessary time to grow that confidence in your amazing self. Your amazing self.
emmiekoala
From my own personal experience, if you are fully aware that someone does not care about your feelings, there isn't a way to prevent them from hurting you. If someone does not care about you, the next best thing you can do is to help yourself and distance yourself from them so that you aren't putting yourself in harms way. If in the future they prove they have changed, you can decide whether to let them back in or not, but be cautious in doing so, because it will be just as hard the second time as it was the first to cut them out of your life.
Zebrasarcastic
If that person don't care about you why be with them..why let them harm you anymore hurt your feelings any more
lauradove
I personally feel that if someone is hurting you, and doesn't care about your feelings, you need to eliminate this person from your life. If they are making you feel upset or down in anyway, you need to either approach them about it and ask them why they are doing it and if in fact they even realise that they are doing it. If they realise what they have been doing or saying has been hurting you and proceed to change how they are treating you then keep them around, they're a good person and someone to take care of. However if they don't make any change from their previous behaviour, lose them. You're better than dragging around people like that.
PeaceForYou
If they don't care about your feelings and your completely sure of this (as sometimes we can think that people don't care but they do its just they don't understand) then I would distance myself from this person.
heartsNcupcakes
I find the best thing to do is to be honest about how Im feeling with that person. If they still don't care, I then think to myself, "in the long run, do I really need or will I benefit positively from having this person who doesnt care about me in my life?" and I make my decision from there.
Anonymous
If they do not care about you, then you should remind yourself that there is nothing they can do to hurt you because even though it doesn't feel like it they aren't a good person to be around.
livefree24
don't give them the power to hurt you, giving them the power to hurt you and affect your feelings is what makes it hurt. Block them from every aspect, and make yourself happy.
Anonymous
Ignore them then walk away from them. Let them know that you want nothing to do with them anymore.
Anonymous
Personally I think the best course is to limit your contact with this person, and to be mindful that this person does not control you, or your feelings. You get to choose how you react and feel. Take care.
WindMelody
January 22nd, 2016 4:27pm
If they don't care about your feelings, I don't think they care enough about you, for you to continue waste your time on them. Just tell them directly and try to discuss about this with them. If this fails, just push them away from your life.
1musicloverever
February 1st, 2017 10:06pm
You just leave them, you have are worth more than all the money in the world and you shouldn't be treated that way. You are resilient, extraordinary, intelligent and brave and you deserve that kind of treatment. It may hurt now a little bit because you might have attachments to this person or think things will get better for the two of you, but sometimes you have to accept how reality works. I do hope you are okay and you decide well for the two of you.
Recent Answers
XanderDream
You may want to talk to them and let them know how they make you feel and how they are hurting. Then, if they continue doing the same, you may just want to stay away from them and try to still be good to them no matter what. Ignoring them and not make them feel it doesn't affects you anymore, and they would eventually stop.
TheFriendlyFeminist
Try to talk it out with them. Maybe go to therapy with them. If things get out of hand, call the police.
gracefulBeauty100
We are not responsible for others action and we can't control other people or the things that are happening to us. But we can choose how to react. Pain is in ourselves, but only if we let it in.
Anonymous
Maybe they are doing it because you've hurt their feelings before, without realizing. Or because they've been hurt by someone else. Or both. In that case you could either talk about what you've done that hurt them or ask, what's bothering them, or distance yourself if they don't want to talk.
Anonymous
If they don't care about your feelings, it's probably safe to assume there's nothing you could do to stop them from hurting you. Take care of yourself and do what's best for you and your safety.
HiddenSoul1714
Well first off I want to apologise deeply to anyone who is in this situation, I believe no one deserves this. Yet one way to stop it is to completely stop letting them hurt you. This is not meant to sound selfish and I am not blaming the person, yet sometimes we have full control of the situation, we are just too attached or do not know how to detach. One main key is To completely cut off communication and see them at least as possible. They can’t do anything more if they are not given the chance, block them on any social media’s etc. Yet if you still come face to face with them, best is to distract yourself away from the conversation, or if they say something hurtful, do not answer back because that will just fuel them negatively. After all this is achieved, emotionally you need to cut them off, this is the hard part and there is no time limit for when this is achieved. I can’t tell you how to do that because some situations may differ from others, but stay strong and know that anyone who hurts you deserves to stay in the past not the future.
ChangeofPerspective
It depends on the situation. Generally, I do my best to walk away. If I will be required to see this person often, I will address it directly as I'm responsible for how I allow others to treat me.
TheRemnantOfTheSea
Sometimes the only thing you can do can feel like the hardest thing to do, and that's to simply remove that person from your life. It's easier said than done, and losing someone is never easy, but if someone doesn't care about your feelings and continuously hurts you, you owe it to yourself to demand better of people. If the person can't respect you and your feelings, you truly don't need them. It may take time, but it's sometimes the only way to truly get away from abuse.
Anonymous
If someone doesn't care about your feelings, they probably don't care about you either. Having people that don't care about you in your life isn't good for your emotional state. Removing these people from your life is the best way of not letting them hurt you anymore. If you can't do that, then minimize the time you spend with that person. Another thing you can do is understand that their words are just words, and they don't mean anything. They are just saying those things to hurt you, and letting them do that is just letting them win. Realizing that having that kind of toxic person in your life just isn't worth it is a great way of not letting them hurt you anymore.
mthilliard
You need to stop caring. You can't control what they think. It is in your best interest to find people that care about you and if they don't, move on.
Anonymous
I have an experience where I had a guy friend,who was jealous of my existing economic status and he always used to compare like a perfect asshole about his problems and my problems. He didn't care about my feelings. He was a cheap guy of bullshit. I stopped calling him over telephone and I cut down all the ways of communication.
freshVoice22
You have a choice in how you react. You can choose how you feel about how someone is treating you. Yes it might be hurtful. But we don't always understand why others are acting out in these ways. They may have deep emotional pain to and not know how to constructively express it.
caringJ86
The best way to stop some one from hurting your feelings is to stop giving them that much of importance. When we give importance to someone the hold that power over you. It will hurt if the feelings are not reciprocated. So stop giving them priority over other things in your life.
Vermilionscar
Best is to lessen your interaction with that person. Try avoiding him/her and ask yourself as to why are you still with them if you know they are hurting you. Take out some time and sit with them. Talk to them in their face about how you feel when they hurt you knowingly or unknowingly. If they are ready to change then give them some time. Otherwise it's a sign that you should move on.
SoaringWings
Simply put- you can't. If someone truly doesn't care about your feelings, then there is likely something going on with them internally that prevents them from feeling empathy towards you. Thus the hurtful comments/abuse. The best thing to do in this situation is to either remove yourself from it or work on seeing them for what they are and know that their hurtful comments are coming from a place inside THEM and are not a true reflection of YOU.
CarissasHereToTalk
Sometimes the best thing to do when somebody doesn't care about your feelings is to let them go and not let them be a part of your life anymore for your own good. That doesn't mean to be mean to them or not wave back at them if they see you somewhere, but don't give them the chance to hurt you.
Anonymous
Anonymous
It can be quite hard in that situation, finding someone else to help is a great way to start off. But the best way I've found is by showing them it doesn't hurt you. I often got bullied for a disease which makes me thin, and I can't gain weight. But I let all of their comments brush past me so I could keep my head up high. Don't let them get you down, show them that their words mean nothing and that they don't have an impact on you negatively. If you show no reaction. they should get bored and stop.
Anonymous
Don't get too close to them and don't share too much information, because sharing too much information like secrets and little things about you can often lead them closer to which they can easily hurt you. ( I don't know how to exactly put it into words so I did my best. )
Anonymous
It sounds like you need to set up better boundaries. In order to take care of yourself it's important to be clear about what you want from the friendship and be honest about how you feel.
adaptiveElementary87
By setting strong boundaries, yet still respecting other people's feelings and emotions as I would want them to respect me
Yas31
Build healthy boundaries around yourself. Learn to say 'No' politely in 19 different ways. Nasty people don't deserve how we feel.
OpheliaLovesPoetry
You can start by bringing up a common thing you both share and/or like. Even though you may seem as total opposites you might find it hard to believe but everyone shares somthing with someone else. And thats how youre gonna get that person to break their first wall of coldness. With this technique you"ll easily discover something to bargain with. It might sound bad, but telling someone how would they feel if they were in your shoes or how would they feel if it was someone else taht hurt their brother/sister/someone they care about is just the answer to make them see the light.
museofdreams
Don't let them. Stand up for yourself. This doesn't have to be physical; Just be your own advocate and stand up for your own feelings. People CANNOT hurt you if you won't let them, mentally at least. Physically if you're hurt it'll heal eventually, don't let them just bully you around. Find a way to get out of the situation if standing up will do nothing; Escaping is not the same as being a chicken, it's protecting you, you should be your own priority.
imactuallynoah
Look in their eyes and say 'nothing you say and do can hurt me' it doesn't necessarily change the other persons mind to hurt your feelings but what it does is give you a strength in the back of your mind, that you are strong and whatever the other person says is nothing but rubbish
Anonymous
Don't associate with then anymore. You already know they don't seem to care so why should u waste your energy in someone like that. At the end of the day you have to make the hardest decision in order to open more opportunities to meet new people. So the hardest decision being letting go of the person.
rose37xo
You aren't responsible or in control of anybody else's choices. It's heartbreaking when we feel that someone doesn't care about us, but we do not control their words or actions. However, you have your own free will, so you can protect yourself by distancing yourself from negative people that don't seem to care about you. Don't be afraid of them, and try to understand where they're coming from too, because there's always more than one side to every story. Surround yourself with people who DO care for you, and find activities to do that you enjoy. There's so much out there just waiting for you, and you don't need to waste your time worrying about one negative person.
peacefulkat
You can stop relying on them for everything, try not to tell them about your feelings and the problems you are facing. You may talk to them and be around them but don't trust them and always take the things they have to say to heart. Try meeting new people and talking to them, don't focus on the one person who you know does not care about your feelings, someone who could hurt you in the near future.
MathewLutzMA
If they don't care about your feeling the best way to make them stop is to avoid them altogether, they aren't worth your time or effort.