Feeling cooped up at home - what should I do?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

MaeveTheBrave
Try to get out of the house more! Even though it might be hard to do at first, once you actually get outside and start moving around, you will start to feel better! Try to get more sunlight, exercise, and social interaction. You can start by doing whatever activities appeal to you, whether that's walking dogs, going to a coffee shop, hanging out with a friend, going hiking, tanning at the beach, etc. Just as long as you start doing *something*, the cooped-up feeling will begin to dissipate. Just make sure you stay active, busy, and outside of your usual space/house!
UtopianMidgardianSanctuary
If I were in a small apartment and I wanted to get my energy out, I would open the windows, turn on a sound machine or listen to natural music, and do yoga or any other indoor exercise.
phasmophobia
Creative activities like singing or drawing are ways to get out some mental energy without taking up a lot of room; there are also physical activities you can do in a small space like yoga or strength training (sit ups, push ups, etc).
Aryore
Sunlight can really help when you're indoors a lot, open some windows and it can help you feel much better :) apart from that if you're not sure what to do you could look up indoor hobbies and activities online, personally I enjoy doing crafts like knitting and building paper models.
TheAdmirableCreatureAmanda
Try taking a dog for your walk, or message friends on Facebook. One of my favorite things to is go for an "Adventure," which is when I basically start walking while listening to a book on tape and just see where I end up. It is just about getting outside and walking until I begin to feel unstuck.
Anonymous
If you're able to get out of the house, you should. Even if it's just for a few minutes at a time to experience fresh air and sunlight (or whatever kind of weather is happening outside). If you're not able to leave your house, you could always open the windows and the shades and sit near them if you can.
Roishere
I used to feel this way often after I took a gap year right after finishing high school. I started by reading books. I did this at home. When I felt like I need fresh air I'd take the book out to the patio. When that started to bore me I took the book to a nearby park. It was so refreshing. After that I started walking to and from the park whenever I'd run out of things to do. If I wasn't feeling up to walking I'd make my way to a record store and hang out there for a little while listening to music. When it started to feel routine I started doing yoga. I also enquired a local dog shelter about taking different dogs out on different days for walks and I've been doing that ever since. Find what you might like doing outdoors and get on it!
AveryC1208
Hang out with friends! Don’t be on ur phone all day, do something and have fun with the people u love!
Anonymous
I would start with food, especially with something that I cook by myself. After having a good meal, I'd love to do some exercise like sit-ups and pretty much every indoor activities to burns my energy away. If I could, I would invite some of my friends into my apartment and have a small party to boost my confidence. But after all, anything that comes to your mind would do :)
LC1225
Try to get out! Talk with some friends at a coffee shop, go to the bookstore or library, take a walk at the park. Anything but whatever you do, dont stay cooped up at home. Best of luck! -LC
Anonymous
Go out and do dome exercise, or stretching. Feeling cooped up can be an unsettling feeling.
Anonymous
Find out why you feel cooped up, and base your actions on that. Perhaps arrange more outings when possible. Talk to other family members how you feel.
MKDavis
Get outside! Have some fun with friends, make some memories while you still can! Enjoy life while it's offered to you!
dissociativepotato91
Take a nice walk, sit outside and read a book or even just opening up windows and getting some fresh air!
Anonymous
If you feel cooler up at home, then get out! I suggest taking a short walk, going for a drive, or even running errands!
majesticturtle33
Reach out to friends or family and arrange to meet up. Maybe go out for a coffee or to see a movie. Look into social groups and clubs in your area which you could be interested in joining. Look at sports clubs in your local area that interest you and find a hobby that gets you active and out of the house.
OpenedEyes
Often times people begin to feel ill, meaning they become irritable and a negative attitude tends to linger for a while. Others get frustrated at the wasted time. Try to find something constructive to do. Build something, clean something (you'd be surprised how much you would feel better after cleaning), do something artsy, or something simple like reading a good book.
freefromworries
If you can, go out for a drive or a walk. It sometimes feels good to get out, even if it's just a little bit. If you're not able to really go out, try to get outside. Sit outside and do some work if you can. Although it's not a long-term fix, it's enough!
Anonymous
Try playing in your backyard, cooking, taking a warm shower or anything else that makes you feel comfortable
ggraceking
There are many things you can do! Personally I would recommend visiting family and friends. If that's not possible, going to the movies/shopping etc is always fun. You could also find a new hobby to do or a goal to set yourself while at home if you don't have transportation such as read a book a day, learn to sew etc and take regular walks and exercise if transportation isn't available to you.
peacefulkat
You should go outside and do something. Go shopping, go to the park. Try inviting friends over or out to do something fun.
Valkyrie13
one of the best things i have found when cooped up at home is to open windows if i cant go out, and if i can go out, even just going to the shops is a good way to get out of the house, find friends who like to go outside a lot and hang with them :)
kindsoul129
There are many ways to escape this feeling - both mentally and physically. Listening to the feeling is great and, if you are able, a short walk outside or meeting a friend for coffee can redress the imbalance. Even just taking a break and opening a window or standing by an open door can really help. The other thing which may help is a visual meditation - there are lots of these on youtube. Visual meditations help take you somewhere else in your mind and can provide that feeling of being somewhere else.
Anonymous
Surely a small walk down the road an back will help! If you don't actually want to leave your home but have a bit of cabin fever, do some small exercises around your home! Nothing too drastic, just something that will help your mind feel a little bit loose. If you are able to leave your house, walking, or going to visit a park nearby will help clear you head and make you feel refreshed. Having a friend or two to hang out with will definitely help you feel better too. :)
Letsdothis123
Look up activities in your area online, find something you may enjoy doing. Maybe ask. Few friends to come along as well. If you're having a hard time getting motivated- use the 5 minute rule. Tell yourself "I only have to do this for 5 minutes and if I want to, I can stop"
allnaturalUnicorns70
Depends on your age and how much money you have! If you're a little kid, do your best at school and with friends and manage! If you're 38 and rich, fly the coop!!
maurymart2
It's always nice to go outside and take a walk at times. Fresh air can declutter some of our stress, because we are not looking at the same set of walls that we tend to look at in all those hours inside.
Anonymous
Contact a friend is always the most fun way, but an easy way could be to simply just try to walk outside. It may seem boring but you'll find the fresh air really helps to banish the stale feeling.
WavesOfAloha
When I’m cooped up at home, I look at some me time that could include reading a book, watch a movie, catch up an a TV show, find a recipe to try and make, or spend some quality time with my dog by playing fetch with her toy. And when I’m really just stressed with being cooped in the house, I like to lay on my sofa in front of my fireplace and with the lights dimmed down and quietness, I lay there staring into the fire to reflect on things that may have been bothering me.
Anonymous
I try going for a walk either along the river or to a park. You could try visiting a friend. Sometimes I go to a local pawn shop and browse around.