My OCD doesn't seem to fit the stereotypes. Are there different types of OCD?

JaNaè Taylor, PhD, LPC

I work to provide culturally tailored services to my clients through support, advocacy, and reflection.

RayvenNightfall
The most well known type of ocd is the person who cleans all the time and organizes all the time. this is known as Contamination OCD – the need to clean and wash is the compulsion, the obsessive fear is that something is contaminated and/or may cause illness, and ultimately death, to a loved one or oneself. Mental Contamination In addition to the more familiar type of contamination, that is commonly perceived to be the stereo-typical image of OCD, involving someone that washes their hands repeatedly after coming into contact with potentially dirty objects or environments, there is also a less obvious form called 'mental contamination'. Another well know one is someone who checks to make sure the doors locked fifty million times (like me) this is called "checking" ocd. The need to check is the compulsion, the obsessive fear might be to prevent damage, fire, leaks or harm other types that arent so well known include Hoarding - Another obsession long considered to be part of ‘OCD’ is the inability to discard useless or worn out possessions, commonly referred to as ‘hoarding’. Ruminations 'Rumination' is a term often used to describe all obsessional intrusive thoughts, but this is misleading. In the context of OCD a rumination is actually a train of prolonged thinking about a question or theme that is undirected and unproductive. Unlike obsessional thoughts, ruminations are not objectionable and are indulged rather than resisted. Many ruminations dwell on religious, philosophical, or metaphysical topics, such as the origins of the universe, life after death, the nature of morality, and so on. and the last one might surprise you but Intrusive Thoughts - Intrusive thoughts, in the spectrum of OCD, are where a person generally suffers with obsessional thoughts that are repetitive, disturbing and often horrific and repugnant in nature. For example, thoughts of causing violent or sexual harm to loved ones. (i actually suffer from this as well and we didnt know i had OCD until i told my therapist about the strong "urges" i had to self harm even though im not suicidal) you can read more about these OCDs and a few others here: http://ocduk.org/types-ocd
RoryBoutilierRPC
Absolutely! There are 2 main forms of OCD (remember the "O" and "C" in OCD - Obsession and Compulsion). The first type of OCD is generally called 'bad thought' OCD; this is where the person has more intrusive thoughts, rumination (where they keep thinking of a certain thought over and over again), obsession with a certain thought, etc. Even though the thoughts may not be 'bad' per se, the thoughts are intrusive and are always interrupting the person's life. An example may be that a person constantly has thoughts of throwing things, even though they have never done this before. They may have repeating thoughts where they throw things, break things, or damage objects, despite never having been violent in their life at any point. Even though these thoughts are intrusive and distressing, and very real, the person never acts on the thoughts, they are merely 'there'. The second type of OCD is compulsive; this is where the person tries to do anything they can to reduce their anxiety related to a particular situation. This is the compulsive part of OCD. For example, a person who has persistent thoughts about breaking things may divert their attention to cleaning. They may clean everything they own from top to bottom, underneath, and disinfect everything. This is not necessarily because they are afraid of germs, but rather because cleaning allows them to stop the negative thoughts about breaking things. Although there are 2 main forms of OCD, there are countless ways that OCD can present itself. Every person is unique, and every person is a living story. You may not fit the mold of someone with OCD, and that's okay. There is nothing wrong with that. Just because you have OCD doesn't mean you are any different than anyone else; OCD is still distressing, regardless of how it manifests. A third type of mental disorder, not specific to OCD, is when a disorder is classified as NOS (Not Otherwise Specified). What this means is that a person shows many of the symptoms of having a particular disorder, but does not show 'enough' of the symptoms to meet full criteria for a clinical diagnosis. This is not a bad thing, and mental health professionals recognize that the symptoms are just as distressing as anyone else who meets criteria for a disorder. The difference may be that someone who meets criteria for a diagnosis of OCD may have 5 out of 9 symptoms, whereas someone who has OCD-NOS (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified) may only have 4 out 9 symptoms. Often times people who have a -NOS diagnosis notice that their symptoms changes over time; the 4 symptoms they originally showed may not be the same symptoms they have in 6 months. To answer your question briefly: Yes, there are different types and forms of OCD. If you have any doubt, talk to a mental health professional or one of the licensed therapists here on 7 Cups. What is most important it not a diagnosis, but rather how you can manage your symptoms and lead a healthy lifestyle!
meganhw
No condition is the same for each person, especially when it comes to mental health. Everyone thinks differently and just because you don't match the typical symptoms doesn't mean you're not suffering.
Hozzles
There are many different types of OCD. The obsessions/ compulsions one may experience differ from person to person. Order, checking and fear of germs are common symptoms of OCD, but they do not apply to every individual. A diagnosis does not need one to meet stereotypes, only a set criteria (experiencing obsessive thoughts and compulsions over a set amount of time). For example, one may experience instructive thoughts concerning their relationships, and may constantly check in with their partner for reassurance. Other people may experience OCD with 'hidden' or less observable compulsions. Instead of handwashing, for example, you may internally develop guilt over your thoughts or deliberately avoid experiences which are related to your thoughts. Remember, having intrusive thoughts is in no way representative of your 'true' self!
WackyOrMiles
Yes there are multiple versions of OCD. It's just something you do over and over again sometimes. Here are some examples Counting, checking things over and over again, haveing to knock three times. It is just something you do over and over again or your brain will start to panic. Like a couple months ago for me I have OCD with counting and checking everything. I was with my friends and I start to count and one of my friends not knowing away better stop me and I shut down and had a panic attack. That can really happen with any version of OCD
RhinocerosWings
There are many different symptoms of OCD - not everybody has the "classic" things we see on TV. For example, I'm working on overcoming OCD, but you'll never see me open and close the door three times or wash my hands for exactly 7 minutes. The OCD Self-Help Guide here can give you a lot of great information.
softNutella25
Yes! There are many types of OCD. Most often we hear of the more common types (i.e., washing, counting, etc.), but people may have sensorimotor obsessions and others. If you feel that you are having obsessive compulsive thoughts or feelings, consider reaching out to a professional if it is getting in the way of your life.
miraculousBeauty49
There are many types of OCD however you may find you have a different personality disorder, that has many symptoms of OCD but often with other symptoms too.
Anonymous
In a way yes, there are different symptoms for ocd. Tv and other media doesn't portray this as well as they should. We hear about some types more than others. (i.e the germaphobe, counting over and over again, etc...)
InspirationalWatermelon52
Definitely! There are many different obsessions and compulsions, and they are not all written down as only the most common ones get mentioned. I would suggest you also ask a professional and make sure it is OCD and not something else. If you have already though don't worry, symptoms don't have to be mainstream!
RaCat
Yes. there are some different types of OCD and it's completely normal if you don't fit to one of these = the stereotypes were created only to show the guidlines for people who are struggling with OCD or any other problem.
negiducky
There many other disorders that have overlapping characteristics. Both the obsession and compulsive criteria must be satisfied.
Anonymous
There are many different types of OCD and some are not documented yet. Maybe if the doctors discover a new type because of you they will name it after you so it's not all bad. Having OCD is not anything very bad unless it is effecting your life and those around you. In that case I recommend you seek medical help. I have slight characteristics of OCD and going to a doctor really helped me get it under control. If you ever want any more advice or someone to talk to, don't hesitate to contact me.
Belis
There are many different types of OCD. The obsessions and compulsions are as unique as people who are struggling with them. It is not all about counting and cleaning.
Harmonybasingstoke
Yes, there are different types of OCD, and different rituals that apply to each. For example, some people will wash their hands excessively, for others it will be things like constant checking or tidying/excessive house-cleaning rituals. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is often effective for treating this Disorder. Talking therapies can help too.
sweetDreamer
there are many types of OCD! do some research and go see a doctor for a diagnosis! never think that your disorder is not worth some help!
Anonymous
Yes, there are many different types of ocd, there are also many themes of ocd, everyone's mental health is different and unique to them
Butterfly121
Yes. like many different mental health issues, OCD presents itself differently in each situation. Consult with a therapist or doctor to figure out the best coping methods and ways of dealing with your form of OCD.
Anonymous
There are different types of OCD and yours is just as valid as anyone else's. I understand what you are feeling.
TheSpoonTheory724
There are many different types according to what you struggle with, as well as severities. Categories usually include: Contamination obsessions with washing/cleaning compulsions Harm obsessions with checking compulsions Obsessions without visible compulsions or so-called "pure obsessions" Symmetry obsessions with ordering, arranging and counting compulsions Hoarding There are many types and severities of OCD. It doesn't effect everyone the same way. :)
LouisaListens
Absolutely. I have OCD, but I'm disorganized and I don't worry about germs. OCD can take many different forms, which can change in type and severity over the course of a lifetime.
Anonymous
Yes. There is the typical OCD in which people experience similar things like wanting to check on the locks again and again or wanting to wash hands again and again. Then, there is this atypical OCD in which you experience things different from the stereotypical symptoms. But ultimately, only an expert can guide you on this.
Anonymous
There are actually a lot of subtypes of OCD, and they don't all have to do with cleanliness or neatness. The OCD foundation is a great resource if you think you might have obsessive-compulsive tendencies.
Anonymous
There are five main types of OCD, but of course, there are other types because everyone is different in their own special way. Just because you don't fit into the stereotypes doesn't mean that what you have isn't valid.
Lightning18
Yes, it's different for each person. The stereotype is usually symptoms like hand washing, repeating actions, and touching things, but it can also be more of an internal thing where you have obsessive thoughts. There are a wide range of OCD symptoms.
Steeljaw01
Yes, there are multiple types of OCD, including intrusive thoughts OCD and repetitive behavior OCD.
Anonymous
Yes, there is. Most people only know very limited types. These are usually obsessions with cleanliness and symmetry. However, there are so many more ways OCD manifests itself.
Anonymous
Yes, there are a lot of different types of OCD's. Your behavior is a big determinant in what type of OCD you might have. From hoarding up to having intrusive thoughts. However, a proper diagnose can and should be made by a licensed therapist.
Xstitcher
There are lots of different forms of OCD, disorders affect everyone individually and although some symptoms may be similar to others with OCD it will never affect two people in the same way.
Anonymous
There are many different types of OCD. We look at all these stereotypes that we see on TV so we have this box that we think we shall fit in but in reality OCD really isn't anything like that. I have a rare condition of OCD where I avoid stuff I don't like touching stuff I wear gloves Everywhere I Go. Then there are others that you know we need to make sure everything's clean all the time. So just because you have this OCD and you don't think it fits in a category that you know everybody says it is it really is not we are all different and we all have our own type OCD.