How can I calm down during a panic attack?

293 Answers.
★ This question about Panic Attacks was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.
Anonymous

I will always, but always recommend calling 911, because having panic attack is a really serious thing and I myself always end up in hospital, so yeah. You can't calm down when you have panic attack, only meds can calm down. And I recommend to people to try to learn the difference between panic attack and anxiety attack. When you have panic attack you can't calm down yourself, and when you have anxiety attack you can help yourself.

Want to better understand yourself?

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
Anonymous

During a panic attack breathing is the most important thing. What exactly is causing your panic and why?

Helios7

I find that the best tactic for tackling a panic attack is not to fight it. In my experience, the worst panic attacks I've faced were the ones during which I kept telling myself to "calm down." The panic attack is scary enough without you beating yourself up over it while it's happening. I find that a very effective way of dealing with the anxiety is to retire to a quiet room or area, even if the best I can manage is a bathroom stall. I allow myself to feel the worry, I give myself permission to be afraid. I tell myself that it will not be permanent, that it will pass, that everything is going to be okay. I breathe through it, and keep telling myself to breathe, to let the fear pass over and through me, and that everything will be okay.

Anonymous

Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.

Jenna

There are several different ways. One popular way are deep diaphragmatic breathing. Which consists of expansion of the abdomen rather than the chest when breathing. There are also different time amounts of breathing such as: the 4-8-7. You inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 8 seconds, and exhale for 7 seconds. There's also: Try slowly inhaling to a count of 4, filling your belly first and then your chest, gently holding your breath to a count of 4, and slowly exhaling to a count of 4 and repeat several times. There are also distractions like: Drawing little squares on your leg with your finger. Small at first then bigger. Breathing in while drawing up and down and breathing out while drawing left and right.

How to calm a panic attack.

AlbinoCrow

A panic attack is a hell of an experience - literally. In my case, outter help - like other people telling me to calm down and that everything is okay - didn't do much help. I've had one "big" attack in my life, that was my first and the most powerful one. Later on, though, I experienced "smaller", less-horrifiing attacks (same sypthoms, but not so strong and didn't last long (usually about 20 minutes, my first panic attack lasted 3 hours and I've had after-effects for about 3 months...)). Panic attack works differently in every people experiencing it. If you've had some attacks before, you probably know the sypthoms "telling you" that an attack is on the way. In this state, it's important to find something that helps you relax - taking long, deep breaths (it also helps to maintain a calm heartrate), walking, getting some fresh air, drinking a tea, meditating, whatever helps. If the attack itself did happen, it is hard to focus on these calming things because of the flight-or-fight drive. Find a situation or place you feel confortable in - tell your parents/co-workers/friends that you need some help, if you need outter help, or find a place you can feel at ease alone - like a tea-kitchen at work, for example. Take long, deep breaths, and don't try to fight the drive - don't try to shoo the feeling away. It will wash through you, it's an overwhelming experience, but I found fighting it making it much worse. It'll stop in a few minutes. Keep on taking deep breaths, if it happens at work, try to take small breaks - just a few minutes - to relax. Find some music. Something that makes you feel better, that helps you relax in tense situation (even cat videos can help... really, anything that fits you). The attack itself should completely end within an hour at most. The two things you shouldn't do: don't fight the attack, and don't be afraid of experiencing a panic attack. If you already had one, the fear itself from happening can trigger another. These steps are hard to take alone, and if you just had your very first, or few attacks, I think you definently should ask the help of a professional. Panic attacks can occour from emotional (overwhelming stress) or neurological source, and if it calms you, you should definently have it checked out.

Openminded

First of all try to take deep breaths and slowly step by step feel relaxed. Also, try to make positive and nice thoughts and the most important.... speak to yourself. Convince yourself that nothing bad is going to happen. Trust yourself and be the best friend of you.

silverMusic21

At first stay focused , tell take a deep breath and exhale , beware of your surroundings and try not to overreact.

SammiClarinetacornBVB

Find 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell, and 1 thing you can taste. This is called Grounding. It can help when you feel like you've lost control of your surroundings!!

Anonymous

I lay down and close my eyes. I also slow my breathing and empty my mind of all negative thoughts. As I feel calmer, I take long, deep breaths. I slowly think about whats bothering me and get to the root of it so I can see how small it is! :)

Anonymous

Try to think to yourself about why you're feeling anxious. Most of the time, there is no actual harm being threatened- and no reason to panic :) also, you can try to focus ONLY on your breathing. Get it to slow down, and try to breathe deeply. Use your abdomen!

M13

Firstly, I always start by internally telling myself that I am experiencing strong anxiety and a panic attack...nothing life-threatening that I need to worry about. It helps to accept the oncoming attack; almost watching it hit from a neutral perspective instead of feeding into it and working myself deeper into panic. Next, I think that distraction is key. Distracting myself almost never fails! Whether it be calling someone, listening to music, counting backwards from 100 in 3s, or focusing on an object I am holding. Next, it can be really helpful to take some slow, deep, diaphragmatic (into your belly) breaths. I like to do the "thirds" breathing exercise-- You imagine your lungs are divided into 3 parts; the top, the middle and the bottom (closest to your belly button). Start to inhale into the bottom 1/3, then the middle 1/3, and lastly top off your lungs with a breath into the top 1/3. (This should be done as smoothly as possible...not in separate pieces, if that makes sense.) Then exhale from top to bottom. I do this a few times and really focus on slowing my breath down and relaxing every muscle in my body, as best I can. It can be really hard sometimes to relax ourselves! Sometimes, medications from a doctor can work wonders if nothing else is helping to give you relief and make you comfortable.

handofheart

Breathe. I know it's hard to breathe during a panic attack. Sit or lay down and try to clear your head. I know it sounds silly, but find a happy place. Keep telling yourself that you'll be okay. If you need to be alone, then go get some space to yourself. If you like having people around you then only be with people you're close with and they know how to comfort you.

Anonymous

Breathe. That is the best way to relieve your body of the stress it is going through during a panic attack.

SoulfullAshley

When i had my panic attacks, I listened to music, look at random funny pictures, played a game on my phone, texted my mom. I did everything that I could to get my mind off of how I was feeling at the moment, and it helped.

farhan

It requires planning. This planning is very similar to packing your luggage on a long trip. Firstly realize that the human stress response hormones have an impact time of 90 sec. If you can sustain for that time and not engage in panic, you are free. So you are planning to relax in the first 90 seconds. Now what should you plan. Ideas will come to you in times mostly after you get out of the attack. I can give you some seeds. Record your own voice, tell yourself to calm down and get over the 90 seconds. Secondly see that if you can get hold of a bad/shopper, try breating into that. it reduces oxygen in your body calming you down. It is very effective. Keep paper bags in reach. You have full right to enjoy life. Be ready to pass through its ups and downs. Love

stumblingghost621

I usually find someone I trust to talk to. Try to breathe deeply and concentrate on talking out how you feel. Putting things into words is helpful.

SamWise70

Breathing is the best and easiest way to help. A technique I use is the 4x4 method. Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold it 4 seconds, release for 4 seconds, repeat 4 times.

Anonymous

During a panic attack, everything is happening in fast-motion and slow-motion at the same time and it can be difficult to calm down. The easiest way is to concentrate on your breathing. Pretend you need to blow out birthday candles - a deep, slow breath from your belly and a long exhale. Towards the end of the panic attack, when I feel myself calming down, I also like to exercise if possible. I'll go on a run and use up all the extra adrenaline and energy, so I don't get another panic attack right after the last one. Sometimes talking to other people help; if there is a supportive person in your life, call them or talk to them and rant/sob/cry to them.

BigSweatersAndHotChoc

Remove yourself from the situation and just sit down somewhere safe and have a drink of water if you need to. Try and control your breathing by taking big breaths in and slowly releasing them. This will eventually bring your anxiety down.

RideMikeRide

Calming down during a panic attack can be quite challenging given you're in the midst of an emotional/physical tornado! But, I've found these four steps to be helpful: 1. Sit in a comfortable semi-upright position (for example, in bed with pillows behind you). 2. Practice deep breathing (if you are hyperventilating, try breathing into a pillow or paper sack until your breathing normalizes). 3. Do NOT "fight" the panic attack (...in other words, just let it happen knowing that IT WILL PASS). 4. Sip on some cold water to help calm your nerves. Finally, if you're experiencing panic attacks on a frequent basis then realize you need to seek medical/psychiatric help. Many prescription medications can calm or eliminate panic attacks. Most importantly, if you feel like you are in physical danger during a panic attack call 911 or your local police department immediately!

caiti

For me it helps to go into a quite room on my own and listen to music quietly it also helps to take sips of water and concentrate on the length of my breathes and my chest rising up and down. Also keep saying over and over in your head 'I'm okay'

LaurenLizzy

Whenever I struggle to calm down, I turn on rainymood.com (a website that plays non-stop rain sounds), get under my covers, and focus on my breathing until I can control it.

Arkelight

Do your best to remember the techniques and exercises that you have learned. There's many out there, find one that works for you and invest your time in practicing it.

Anonymous

The best way is to stop it at source. As soon as you feel panic coming on, use a distraction technique, or focus your mind on something else.

plushButton95

Panic attacks can be incredibly frightening because your body is going through so many physical symptoms. Reminding yourself that the bad feeling won't last and these attacks can't hurt you might help you relax.

MostColorfulHello

breathing exercises help immensely. I know from experience. try the 4-7-8 technique for starters.

ItIsANewDay

First, relax your shoulders and become conscious of any tension that you may be feeling in your muscles. Then, with gentle reassurance, progressively tense and relax all the large muscle groups. Tighten your left leg while taking a deep breath in, for example, hold it, then release the leg muscles and the breath. Move on to the other leg. Move up the body, one muscle group at a time. Slow down your breathing. This may best be done by blowing out every breath through pursed lips as if blowing out a candle. Also, place your hands on your stomach to feel the rapidity of your breathing. This may allow you to further control your symptoms.

softSun21

First of all, try to find yourself a place that is quiet. If you are in a crowded place, try to get yourself some space where you think you'll be comfortable. Now try to breathe deeply. Try to not breathe into your chest area but more with your abdomen, it will help you to relax your breathing and muscles. Once you've come to this point, ask yourself as clearly as you can what you are scared of in that moment. What is the worst that can happen? Is that fear you are feeling based on facts and the actual situation or could it be that you are thinking ahead already? Could it be that you are overthinking a situation? Try to answer your questions in your head or out loud, whichever way you feel more comfortable, and try to think as rational as possible. A lot of times the fear we feel isn't rational or real, try to make yourself see that. Remember to breathe. This is just my personal experience of course. I sometimes tend to calm myself down with soothing music or smells that put me in a good headspace, however that's just a personal preference. If you want to know more techniques on how to regain your calm after or during a panic attack, you can always read the Self Help Guide on this website, it is very informative and can maybe give you a new technique that works for you.

FoundMyself

This is a great question. The first step is realizing that it is indeed only a panic attack and there is no real danger. Diaphragmatic breathing and deep muscle relaxation exercises can work wonders in the midst of a panic attack. If you find these aren't helping or that you can't calm down enough to get these going it might be time to consult a doctor about some different anxiety medications such as Xanax (if it is particularly bad), or Klonopin (long lasting.) These are in a class of drugs called Benzodiazepines which affect the central nervous system. Be careful though, because these do have addictive properties and can have awful withdrawal symptoms. Benzo's should never be used as a long term solution to panic attacks and should be used in conjunction with the deep breathing/muscle relaxation techniques.

jtmort1988

One of the best ways to calm down is deep breathing and focusing on each breath. Another tactic is to pick an object--can be anything!--and in a way play a mental game of describing the object in detail to yourself or the person you are with. With a panic attack you may feel there is no "way out", challenge those thoughts with a positive outcome. In time, this can change the anxious thought pattern.

BrokenDefinition

Count your breaths, taking long deep breaths in and out. Or find a picture or spot on the wall to focus on while breathing.

lacecierra2

I like to focus on one thing whether it be my breathing, the tick tock of a clock, etc. It helps a lot.

Anonymous

You could try breathing, getting some fresh air, and perhaps seeking the company of a trusted and supportive person, either a Listener here on 7 Cups, or any person who is supportive and understanding for you.

sheilswheels

Panic attacks are horrendous but the first important thing to remember is that you will not come to any harm. The body is responding to your thoughts by going into fight or flight mode and surging adrenalin through the body. Personally, I find relaxation exercises on YouTube. Mindfulness meditations and body scans are especially good. These help me to get my thoughts and symptoms under control and eventually I can wind down. You must be compassionate with yourself and not punish yourself for uncontrollable thoughts. Also, try and get as comfortable as possible.

AccioSpirit909

I usually lie on the ground and then do a breathing exercise. My favorite is tracing a tile or a square with my eyes and exhaling or inhaling for each side. I also sometimes call one of my friends and have them talk to me.

JasmineScent

You should breathe deeply a few times, while thinking of something comforting. Try calming down completely and avoid the situation next time

AuntieRuth

Breathe. Try to breathe. That is probably the most important thing. Secondly, it is a good thing to try and realize why exactly you are panicking. Is it really worth the panic that you are feeling right now? And when I ask 'is it worth it?' I'm not saying to quit whatever it is your panicking over. I just mean that you should ask yourself if what you are panicking over is really worth that much panic or if you are overreacting. Also, sit down. Don't stand up or keep standing up if you were already. Standing up could lead to dangerous situations during a panic attack.

dieli3

One of the ways to calm down when you feel like you're having a panic attack is to do a deep breathing exercise. Try closing your eyes, inhaling for 4 seconds through your nose while slowly pushing your belly outward. Then exhale for 4 seconds while pulling your belly inwards. Repeat as many times until you feel less tension in your stomach. It is important during a panic attack to try and break the train of thoughts you are having. Try to find what is making you feel anxiety and whether the thought is based on fact or fear. Try to think about whether it's beyond your control. Sometimes we have to remember that there are things that out of our control and we need to take one step at a time so we don't get overwhelmed.

EnessenLove

I often turn to meditation when I'm having a panick attack. It's good to either let your mind go blank or to focus on one thing. Breathing deeply and pretending to be relaxed will help a great deal into tricking your body and mind into a calm state.

frothySmiles42

best thing to do is take a few deep breaths and sit down for a few minutes until you can function normally again and have clear mind as well I know I have had panic attacks in the past as well so I know its not easy at all when it happening unless you have someone else around you to help calm you down when it happens take up yoga and mediation also helps as well

Noah88

Take a step back and breathe. If your mind panics, your body will follow - but this also works the other way around. Focused breathing will give you something to occupy your mind with other than stressful thoughts, and it will ground you in your body and the now so you won't get carried away. None of this means you should ignore what you feel: acknowledge the feelings of panic, but don't focus too hard on them -- just ride them out. Remind yourself that you control the feelings and that they do not control you, and breathe.

katherinehasacamera

Breathe in for 4 seconds. Hold your breath for 7 seconds. Exhale breath for 8 seconds. Repeat if needed. This breathing exercise shifts your brain from a fight or flight response to a different response.

StrawberryNight

It always really helps me to control my breathing and make sure I'm exhaling. I also really like to watch calming gifs.

Michael77

Breathe deeply in through your nose, hold your breath for several seconds, then exhale from your mouth. Repeat this several times.

MadilynRose

There are lots of ways to calm down during a panic attack! A great way is to find a way to bring yourself back to the moment. So this means, try to use your senses! Look at a picture of something you like! Smell a pleasant smell, like vanilla! Pet a dog or cat! Do something to bring yourself back to the here and now.

Mercedez

Breathe. Remember its ok to be also remember that your safe and nothing can hurt you

Anonymous

Doing anything to calm down. Listening to music and zoning out or paintings writing whatever comes to mind. The best thing to do would be to start talking to people about anything, even the randomest of things and becoming more and more comfortable and calm.

Footballboy13

during a panic attack make sure you are breathing in an out slowly which can get you back to your normal breathing pattern. in your head, (or out loud) say the letters C. A. L. M over and over again, until you feel as tho the panic attack is over

Anonymous

One of the biggest things would be to take big deep breaths. In through your nose, out through your mouth. Focus on your breathing only.

catriana1

Try and take deep, slow breaths and remember that it will pass. If you tend to have people around you then let them know that you suffer from occasional attacks so they can be prepared to sit with you and even hold your hand through it. Having support helps calm you down.

brirose23

The best way that I find to calm myself down during a panic attack is to just remember anything you may be feeling, whether it be a racing heart or dizziness, is just your body's reaction to stress. You can also try to focus your mind onto something else such as reading a calming book or even try watching a funny movie.

Anonymous

Just take long, deep breathes for about 10 seconds breathing in, and 10 seconds breathing out. Think in your head a ton of positive experiences and things that make you happy and slowly calm yourself down to the best of your ability.

Anonymous

Breathe in and out, try deep breathng as well and using imagery imagine calm scenes and happy memories and times you have had.

JoyfulHeart822

When I find myself in the midst of a panic attack, It always helps me to take deep breaths and go somewhere that calms me, be it a physical place or a mental place. I also try my best to think logically about the situation. Often during a panic attack it's hard to see reason, but if you really focus on rationalizing what's going on you can see it for what it really is- a bump in the road. Whether it's a little bump or a really big one, there is always a way to get through it. If you are experiencing panic attacks that cause you or others harm, or occur very frequently, seek medical attention as soon as possible.

whatigotoschoolfor

Breath deeply. Acknowledge that your anxiety is valid and you aren't being 'silly' or however else you may feel - your feelings are worthwhile and mean something. Focus on things that make you happy.

kalokagathia

Inhale for 3 seconds then exhale for 3 seconds. Remember to keep breathing but do not hyperventilate

CaitsHere

Panic attacks are basically your brain's reaction to an emergency, even if in reality there isn't one. It's like a fire alarm being pulled as a prank. Sometimes you just have to find a way to turn off the alarm. For me, a good way to do this is a pep talk! I take a deep breath and tell myself, "Everything is okay. I am not in danger. I am safe." I do this out loud if I need to, and repeat it until I can feel myself calming down.

Anonymous

Find a quite place, if that is not possible practice deep breathing. Practice different strategies before an attack. Learn to recognize your triggers so it may help you minimize the attacks.

Anonymous

First way to calm yourself is by remembering it's a panic attack and try your best not to clench up. Try to relax your body even if trembling. Begin to focus on your breathing... Breath in deep and slow for the count of 5, hold it for the count of 5, the breath out slowly for the count of 5. Do this until you feel relaxed. What's great about this is, you can do this anywhere without needing a prop.

Jennylovesyou

You take a deep breath and focus on your breathing. If you don't, your panic attack could get worse and it could be harder to calm down.

Recent Answers
SIsiJV

Breath and think of the calmest place you can and imagine yourself there. Then just open your eyes and try to work the problem out.

Anonymous

One of the best tips I've heard to calm down during a panic attack is to make yourself be present in whatever room or place you are. Remind yourself that you could walk out that door, or go touch that wall, or anything else, to remind yourself that you are present in a world outside of your mind.

Dawn04

Try your best to relax and control your breathing. Put yourself into the most relaxing position possible - like off in a room where it's quiet for example - and see if you can try to make yourself only thing of more calming things.

BrainyUnicorn

I know from experience how panic attacks can get but the one thing that has helped me is to breathe and focus on other things like find one thing in the room your end and just find descriptive words for it and just try to refocus your thoughts on positive things :)

GregariousAngie

The best way is to breathe and relax yourself as much as you can. Later a self Pep Talk is always the key to do so. Tell yourself that there's nothing to worry about,that you can get through this,that you're the best. This laways helps one calm down. Else listen to some soothing music or talking to your friends and not thinking about the problem always helps.

Anonymous

According to my health teacher, tell yourself that you will be okay,take some deep breaths and maybe drink a little water

YoureLoved99

Take deep breaths of fresh air and go and make a drink of something you like if possible. Sometimes removing yourself from a situation for a brief amount of time and distracting yourself for a minute or two with a simple task can allow you to be ready to step back into the initial situation with a slightly clearer head.

Bearhugs1

Take deep breaths. Concentrate on your breathing. Don't think anything else other than your breathing. Just breath. It'll go away.

jr50

The best way is to try to breathe deeply and try to use something to as a distraction, like listen to music, mediation or just take a walk

Anonymous
May 23rd, 2016 6:42am

Try and think of something that makes you happy. Steady your breathing and try and make yourself feel better.

Anonymous

you could Use the 54321 relaxing technique I find it quiet useful or you could use the mindfulness exercises

Anonymous

Take deep breaths, close your eyes and try to distract yourself. Accept the panic attack, it's the kind of thing that can't undo. The more you accept that it's happening, the faster it'll come and go. Good luck x

FelipeAG

Basically the most important things in my opinion to deal with a panic attack in progress is to talk about it with someone, to find someone to talk about it. To recognize that we are living something like that, then accept it, and to concious of our own body and to focus our mind in something, for example our breathing while we are in silence ideally with our eyes closed. But as I said before, the most important thing is to talk about it. To let go things from our chest.

Anonymous

The best way to calm down is to take some deep breaths and get away from what is making you anxious for a moment. Do things like read or listen to music, and deep breaths always help. If you are in school try to calmly and politely ask the teacher if you can go to the bathroom or into the hallway to calm down. Usually the teacher would rather you leave than disrupt the class and will let you go.

Anonymous

Breath in slowly, and then count for ten seconds holding your breathe in,..Then letting it out in five seconds, it will help.

dxlight
March 23rd, 2016 11:13pm

Going out for a walk or maybe even run a bit. If that is not possible eating or drinking something might help and by closing your eyes thinking about something really important and breathing deeply

Anonymous

Breathe deeply, relax and think of something that makes you happy, if possible take your self out of the situation.

hayl

think of your favorite person in the entire world and think about why you love them! it helps me every time!

PoeticWhisperer13

Take deep, long breaths and think about something that makes you smile. Or find someone to hug or a blanket and a warm space to breath in.

Anonymous

I find it helps to sit down and take slow deep controlled breaths until I'm calm and afterwards think happy thoughts.

Sarahmander7

Run your hands under cold water. Feel it touching your skin and focus on its coolness and realness. Think only on how it is flowing and the temperature. There is nothing else but the flowing water and the cold. Breathe.

ItsMichelle

I can find ways to cope with panic attack when I have it normally I go and hang out with friends and make the best Of it .

ilovebands88

you can calm down during a panic attack is to put water on your face and under your armpits and under your legs and do something you love and to just relax.

HopefulLeaps

When I have a panic attack or feel one coming, I usually start to count colors. I tell myself "Okay, how many things in here are green?" and then I start to count. Once I start focusing on something else other than what I'm currently worried about, my panic attack starts to subside and then I begin to take 10 deep breaths.

Ambs07

Panic attacks are like a ladder: there are a few steps. Step 1, your breathing changes, step 2, your heart rate increases etc. Once you pass step 5 or 6, the only thing that will stop the attack is time. Eventually you will calm down, but until you do, you have to focus entirely on your breathing - deeply, in and out. Lots of people get confused and panic more when they experience things like chest pain, nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness etc. These are all common symptoms of panic and will pass, though always best to call an Ambulance if you truly believe your life is at risk (e.g. heart attack).

Alexlovesyou
January 31st, 2016 9:17pm

I think the main thing to remember in a panic attack is that it is going to end. You've dealt with it before and you can do it again. One of the main things I do to calm down is play with breathing techniques. There's one that you inhale for 4 counts hold for 7 counts and exhale for 8 counts, you do it 3 times take a break then try it again. Another breathing technique I try is fairly simple inhale for one count hold for one count exhale for one count, inhale for two counts hold for two counts and exhale for two counts you repeat this method up to 10. It also helps for me to distract myself anagramming, puzzles, and coloring are all distractions I use. Another thing that helps me calm down is moving because it gives my body something to do. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

heavenPainting21
January 31st, 2016 2:54pm

breath in to a paper bag to slow breathing but also try a get someone to talk you down even if it's samaritons as you talk slowly breath slowly in bag they keep you focused then it eases as the power has been taken away

KirstyCustard123

Personally what I have to do is close my eyes really tight, breathe through only my nose, and curl up on the floor. It works a charm, though isn't preferable in social situations!

VinnyC3654

Each panic attack for each person differs, that is something I have come to find out. What works for me is seperating myself from social triggers the best I can, my attacks occur usually in crowds or friends, and repeat,"I'm okay, I'm not broken" and focus on breathing slowly and calmly. While that is easier said that done, it is what I try for; if that isn't working I have a network of contact I can reach out to with a code phrase that they know why I will be calling them. They reassure me I am okay and not broken until I can relax. That is what I offer.

Anonymous

try focusing on your breathing and emptying your mind if possible. i find it useful to tell myself that the things aren't real, that the fear only exists in my head