How long does a panic attack last?

Jamie Rautenberg, LCSW

I'm passionate about helping clients understand emotional experiences & mental chatter do not define who they are. I'm here to guide them through the fog back to themselves.

Gracey
Panic attacks are different for everyone and can last for different amounts of time depending on the situation, the individual and whether they are able to get their breathing back on track. For example if i have one during something like a blood test i can be okay after 20 minutes or so, but often it can be at least over an hour.
bouncyWriting56
A panic attack can last anywhere between 2 minutes and 10 minutes during it's peak; after this time, the adrenline will begin to wear off, although you can still feel anxious with some symptoms (e.g., palpitations, shaking) for up to two hours afterwards.
calmWaves10
Most panic attacks end within twenty to thirty minutes, they rarely last longer than an hour. They reach their peak within ten minutes.
Anonymous
around 30 minutes to an hour it depends on individuality so but you keep doing brething count 1004 , 1003, 1002, 1001 just backwards it really help and breathe in between it helps me :) i got this advice from a counsellor :)
softFlower64
From my experience, about 20 minutes. I have found that the effects can linger, and after having one I sometimes feel very fatigued.
animalTurtle76
A panic attack can last from fie minutes to twenty minutes. It's always important to remember it can't last longer than twenty minutes. Though you may experience a series of panic attacks, for say an hour, they will be no longer than twenty minutes
Mortley88
Having had a few, although not for several years, I'd say they last anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes, with 15 minutes being an average and median.
CrystalFriend
A panic attack can last or seem to last for a while. The quicker you can realize it is a panic attack and start talking yourself down, while doing breathing exercises the quicker you can make it stop. It is a scary experience and it can be hard to calm down from. The breathing exercises and the self talk can help.
kittykat
A panic attack generally lasts ten minutes or less. Panic attacks include shortness of breath, tightness in the chest, and feelings of overwhelming fear. These can mimic symptoms of a heart attack and if you aren't sure whether you're having a heart attack or a panic attack, it's best to call for emergency medical attention. Better safe than sorry. Anxiety attacks, on the other hand, can last much longer. The symptoms include feelings of overwhelming dread and fear, sweatiness, and shortness of breath, but they're not as violent as panic attacks.
Anonymous
it all depends... from my experience, maybe anytime between a minute to 10 minutes. depends on people and what kind...
It depends on how drastic the panic attack is. Always remember that during the attack give yourself some space and time to get over the attack. Always calm down and take it 1 step at a time and always remember it will end just relax and breath.
WhisperingPiano
Everyone is different and every panic attack is different. It can last a few minutes, to maybe an hour. Hopefully not too long though. Best thing to do is take deep long breathes. I find that putting my hand on my belly and feeling the air extending it and then leaving it, really helps.
Anonymous
It depends on the person. Some panic attacks can last minutes or some can last for hours. It just depends on how the person works.
colourfulUnicorns83
Some can last for a few minutes, while others can last up to a few hours. It depends on the person, as well as how high anxiety or stress is at that time.
HawaiianAir
A panic attack can last for anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes. Most panic attacks "peak" about 10 minutes in, and most of them end within 20 or 30 minutes. VERY rarely can a panic attack last as long as one hour, but is is possible. For the person experiencing the panic attack, minutes can seem like hours and it's painful either way.
Poppies
There is no set time length for a panic attack. It can be different from person to person, on the severity of the panic, and whether a person has learnt how to manage their panic attacks.
caitlinrose24
Personally, my panic attacks can last anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes. Through research I've learned the average time frame is 5-10 minutes.
StormWilliams
A panic attack can last anyway from a few minutes to over an hour. It varies from person to person and is unique to each individual.
Anonymous
Could last a while, but there are ways to manage it. Breathing exercises really help there is a page on anxiety here at 7 cups of tea I suggest you look into it and it will help.
SLothe
A panic attack can last anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. It all depends on how fast you can get it under control. Not getting it under control within the first couple of moments will prolong it.
Anonymous
The attack itself, about fifteen to twenty minutes. The aftermath, though... At least an hour. Sometimes a day, or more.
Artemis6
The length of a panic attack varies, it depends on the severity of the panic attack as well as how the person copes with the attack. If a person can control their breathing and is aware they are going to have an attack, they length of the attack will be really short.
MaeLatham
panic attacks vary, but usually they last anywhere between two to twenty minuets. if you feel like you are having a prolonged panic attack, you need to get yourself to a quiet and comfy environment
peacefulpineapple94
Panic attacks are pretty scary. The length and intensity of the attack can vary. However, I have found focusing on my breathing and thinking about positive things really helps me. Find something that helps you and when the panic attack happens focus all your attention on whatever helps you. It is very likely that it will help the panic attack end.
Mayaisthename
It really depends on the situation you are in, but try calming down when you have one, it helps.
lyricalPond11
Panic attacks generally last 5 to 10 minutes, but they can come in waves that last up to 2 hours. They always go away.
JDyson
Panic attacks usually last from five to ten minutes. However in some cases they last twenty minutes or longer. Panic attacks can also come in waves. These can last up to two or three hours.
GitaOnTrain
- Expert in Panic Attacks
From several minutes to couple of hours, it's different from person to person, and from situation to situation, depending what triggers it.
Anonymous
A panic attack can last for any amount of time, it just depends on your personal situation. If you feel it is getting out of hand then call someone who knows about your situation and who you trust.
SpiritWolfNYC
About 10 minutes - an hour. The worst of it subsides in the first 10 minutes but you may still experience the after effects for a while