Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Are you where you thought you'd be by this age?

User Profile: victoriousblue17
victoriousblue17 May 2nd, 2023

Romantic relationships, kids, housing, career...all that stuff. Are you where you thought you'd be? Have you done something you never imagined you'd end up doing? What would surprise your younger self?

26
User Profile: funnyVillage1676
funnyVillage1676 September 11th, 2023

I didn't think I'd do such a god awful job of choosing my mates. Just one disaster after another.


The rest of my life, I can't complain. Educated, high tech career, well received by my peers, healthy, climbed out of childhood poverty. Just wish all that success wasn't getting flushed down the toilet by lawyer fees and child support and all the associated stressors

User Profile: neatBlueberry5213
neatBlueberry5213 September 14th, 2023

@victoriousblue17

My life has not turned out at all how I imagined or hoped.

September 14th, 2023

@victoriousblue17 mostly. I had a very expensive first marriage. I wish there was more in the retirement account. Other than that, I feel like I'm doing pretty well.

User Profile: hematite43
hematite43 September 17th, 2023

Heck, no. I did not think both of my parents would be dead by the time I was 40. I did not think I'd be in a dead-end career where I wouldn't make enough money to buy a house. I thought I'd be in a relationship (I am not). I was still naive enough to think that the world could/would become a better place.

I didn't think my mental health would take such a turn for the worse.

I didn't think there would be no hope for the future.

1 reply
User Profile: Lawoftheland01
Lawoftheland01 September 17th, 2023

@hematite43 I feel you. I didn't expect to have a TBI from my ex-stepfather, didn't expect to be homeless, or to have my mother drinking herself to oblivion, leaving me to raise my siblings. I am sorry about your parents.

load more
User Profile: Lawoftheland01
Lawoftheland01 September 17th, 2023

@victoriousblue17 I am nowhere near where I thought I would be. I thought I would have friends, a partner, and a degree. So far I have no friends or social life, never been on a date (got ghosted the day before my first date ever), and am a semester behind on my education.

User Profile: Oldsoul1618
Oldsoul1618 September 17th, 2023

Im not sure how to answer this question , but i enjoyed thinking about it, i believe i am where i should be, and i havent imagined what today would be like.


As strange as it sounds Im not sure if i would ever phathom the impact of the choices made today on the future, or how the choices we made 20 years ago have to do with how things are today, or if they are even connected.


Thank you so much for sharing such an inspiring thought.

User Profile: AnyoneThereItsMeMo
AnyoneThereItsMeMo September 23rd, 2023

No… I can’t remember what I expected of myself at this age but it’s most likely around working myself to death. Whereas in the reality of things, I couldn’t have imagined that I would be getting myself into therapy (best investment/decision I’ve ever made for myself). Then finding out that if I remove everything and everyone around me, at the heart of the core, I don’t really know who I am and starting from there… to build myself and my life the way I want it to be and not confined to others (families, friends, society) expectation of me. It’s a long road ahead of me but I rather be here than the other, more destructive, path.

User Profile: LadyTii
LadyTii September 24th, 2023

@victoriousblue17 I didn't think my child would be so mean. I love her but I'm surprised daily by how hateful and disrespectful she is. I always imagined me and my child would be best friends.