TEDTalk by Johann Hari: Everything you think you know about addiction is wrong
Hi everyone! I stumbled across this 15 minute TED talk by Johann Hari. He discusses addiction in what I think is a new and interesting way. Here is the official details:
"What really causes addiction -- to everything from cocaine to smart-phones? And how can we overcome it? Johann Hari has seen our current methods fail firsthand, as he has watched loved ones struggle to manage their addictions. He started to wonder why we treat addicts the way we do -- and if there might be a better way. As he shares in this deeply personal talk, his questions took him around the world, and unearthed some surprising and hopeful ways of thinking about an age-old problem."
Please feel free to watch it and discuss what you thought about it, such as if you agree or disagree, what you learned, or how you might apply this to your own coping strategy.
cc @InternalAcceptance @lovelyWhisper66
@MonBon I'm in the middle of reading Johann Hari's latest book, Lost Connections, about the causes of depression and anxiety. He researches thoroughly and he's a great storyteller. But he has also been widely criticised, and from what I've read so far I suspect maybe that's because he sometimes allows his narrative to come adrift from the facts.
I was impressed by the TED talk, and particularly by this section near the end:
And what I've tried to do now, and I can't tell you I do it consistently and I can't tell you it's easy, is to say to the addicts in my life that I want to deepen the connection with them, to say to them, I love you whether you're using or you're not. I love you, whatever state you're in, and if you need me, I'll come and sit with you because I love you and I don't want you to be alone or to feel alone.
It reminded me of the goal of 7 Cups:
Our Goal: We are living in a world with an immense love deficit, which means that none of us is receiving the love we need to reach our true potential, to truly thrive. Our goal is to build a support system, a web, that can hold every member of our world. We believe that we can fill that love-gap for every person in the world, either because they are an active member of our community or because they are touched personally by someone who has been empowered by 7 Cups of Tea.
7 Cups for the Searching Soul has a whole chapter on love, but in our listener training I can't find any mention of love at all. It makes me wonder whether we could perhaps do better.
So yes, I liked the video. And I would have believed in it except that there's a seriously addicted person I know well in real life who has always had plenty of supportive connections—family, friends, neighbours and lovers—someone everyone likes and wants to help. Yet they remain seriously addicted. I'd like to believe the theory, but I know that the answer, if there is an answer, is not as simple as that.
Charlie
@RarelyCharlie
Thank you for your response Charlie! I agree that his rhetoric relies a little too much on appeals to emotion at times. What I liked about it though was the different perspective. I also really like how you made the connection to 7 cups values and I think we should do better at keeping that component in mind.
@MonBon
Thank you for sharing this.
Allow me to introduce myself, I'm a porn addict. I didn't know that, until I quit my job early this year around January, and I found myself dealing with my problems by watching porn, thats when it hit me, I had a problem, and I needed to face it. I was tired of the old me, and I was tired of my old habits. Stood up, and decided to go to a support meeting, face to face, with people who might understand me, I was very nervous, and scared, will they judge me ? will they accept me ? will I ever quit my addiction ? can I be normal again ? All I can say is that they said to me , keep coming back, and they were very welcoming, and I felt like I finally found a group of people who I can relate to, and who understand me. In time, I found a sponsor, and they were supportive, day by day, I found myself counting days of sobreity, day by day, week by week, month by month, I felt strong, and I started exchanging old habits with new habits, reading books, contributing, CONNNECTING, and I grew spiritually, to a point, where I fetl like whatever Gods may be, they were with me, and I was the strongest. Up to here is the good part of my story. Next, is the sad part, I had an expectation that was growing every day, that I will be able to find a job that I want, and to be able to finally manage my financial crisis, plus get over a really nasty divorce, with all that on my mind, a few days ago, I was sitting down, and I thought to myself, I'm never gonna be able to recover, nobody actually loves me, nobody cares about me, I felt that if I had some deeper connections, or better love relationships, from family or friends, I would have been able to carry on, but I failed, I just had a major relapse, and it hurts to be alone, and its not easy to stand up again after you fall. If this world had more love, it would be a much nicer place. For now, I'm gonna try to love myself by myself, and lick my own wounds.
@diplomaticBeach8952
Thanks for sharing! I hope you found the TEDTalk interesting and I'm glad you are trying to love yourself, especially since it can be so hard to when we feel we have failed. I'm proud of you <3
@diplomaticBeach8952 Thank you for sharing! In AA that amazing feeling is called the "pink cloud" where we feel like everything makes sense and we feel great. Unfortunately, that comes to an end and sometimes ends in relapse. Very few recoveries from any addiction are a straight line to the ultimate goal; there are trials and tribulations. It becomes difficult and the cravings can become overwhelming. I'm not going to say that relapse is a part of recovery but many people in recovery do relapse. Reaching out to others rather than isolating, recognizing the triggers to the relapse (which it sounds like you have), and not giving up is important. I hope that you find the support that you need and deserve here on 7Cups and please don't be afraid to ever message one of the listeners if you need anything. 
@InternalAcceptance
thank you for these kind words, I'm working on myself, and on getting support ! Its great to be here !
@diplomaticBeach8952 I just wanted to check in and see how you were doing now that it's been several months. I hope that you're doing well, though if you aren't, there are many people here to support you. 
@InternalAcceptance
Hello my friend, thanks for checking up on me and following up. It's great to hear from you. I have been doing good, I go to a lot of meetings to stay sober, I am now over a month sober. Still have a financial crisis, but hey, life is never perfect. I don't really have a lot of urges to act out, but I think that now I know why I act out. Its conflict that causes me to act out, I have the mentality that I need to be accepted by others or have good relationships with everyone. So when a conflict arises, then I feel that I need to accommodate or break the 'good' image that I have by confronting the person I have a conflict with so that I don't do, I just run away.
@diplomaticBeach8952 It's lovely to hear from you as well. I'm glad to hear that you're doing well. Going to meetings and having that connection with others can be a life saver, honestly. I'm proud of you for having over a month sober! I know how difficult that can be and I'm so so proud of you! Unfortunately, finances can be a tricky, and sometimes overwhelming, struggle to get a grasp on. One thing at a time, though, and everything can be set in order eventually. It's awesome that you'v figured out why you act out and can now work on ways to address it. It sounds like you've made a lot of progress! If you ever need extra support, feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you as soon as I'm able to. 
@InternalAcceptance
Thank you my friend, its great to have someone like you in my corner.
@MonBon Thank you for sharing! This was a wonderful TedTalk and I feel is very accurate. I had heard about the mice study in the past and found it fascinating and a great representation of what we should be striving for as a culture as well as individually.
I personally loved it found it very relatable. It's very hard to not feel alone with addiction and as if the world is against you. Hiding away from loved ones for the shame of feeling like you're a bad person again for any slip ups made forcing us to feel as if we have to hide it as a secret which just pushes us further away from people around us. Carrying this box of a secret life inside us around that we feel nobody can open or understand. Intervention point rang true it does feel like a witch hunt and like you're a naughty child it's very demeaning to an already self-esteemless soul. Or lack of soul. Which is what you feel like stuck in the abyss of addiction. We need more families and friends to actually try to understand how we feel to be turning to these self destruct behaviours in the first place. I constantly feel worthless and the bad guy who people just expect to f#%! Up all the time. It's drowning. Everyone is in recovery from something, 🤷🏼♀️🙄 x
Hello @MonBon
I aggree whole heartedly with the idea that isolation drives addiction. In my situation, ive been on pain management for about 7 years, and have always been open about it with freinds and neighbors. I noticed how they started backing away from me for what i thought wad a mystery; and it made me feel bad, made me question my own worth, made ne start isolating more and more; until 2 years ago when I was really suffering isolation and the dose I took remained the same for 7 years. I didnt do anything wrong, yet felt shunned, mistreated and now depressed. I started having terrible anxiety attacks, then ideation: and started calling crisis for support. I ended up admitting myself through the emergency room twice. While in the hospital, i bounced back, made freinds, and felt better. When i got back home i went back to depression, isolation, and feeling worthless. I seeked out help from social services, but yet in my explainations the very mention that i take daily opioids, seemed to change their desire to help me get involved somehow so i could feel a part of something. Its so sad that I have done exactely as instructed by my doctor, and its led me to suffering in unimagineable ways. Its terrible treatment towards people at their lowest point in life, when they need some social involvment more than ever. When we need help the most, we get less help. The sicker we are, the worse we are treated. Its a decietful way the state saves money. Instead of helping which costs money, they treat us worse which saves them money when we finally give up because we see it is a dead end path they put us on.
I enjoyed the TED talk, and I agree with the majority of it. I have been saying for a long time "Drug addiction is not a criminal problem, it's a mental health problem". The only thing I don't agree with is sometimes you do have to distance yourself from some loved ones in certain situations. Especially if there is abuse, and most of the time, that's the case.
This is what I really agree with:
"What if addiction isn't about your chemical hooks? What if addiction is about your cage? What if addiction is an adaptation to your environment? "
"Looking at this, there was another professor called Peter Cohen in the Netherlands who said, maybe we shouldn't even call it an addiction. Maybe we should call it bonding. Human beings have a natural and innate need to bond, and when we're happy and healthy, we'll bond and connect with each other, but if you can't do that, because you're traumatized or isolated or beaten down by life, you will bond with something that will give you some sense of relief. Now, that might be gambling, that might be pornography, that might be cocaine, that might be cannabis, but you will bond and connect with something because that's our nature. That's what we want as human beings."
"And a core part of addiction, I came to think, and I believe the evidence suggests, is about not being able to bear to be present in your life."
@SybilLeigh
"The only thing I don't agree with is sometimes you do have to distance yourself from some loved ones in certain situations. Especially if there is abuse, and most of the time, that's the case."
Hi, But when the family is all so dysfunctional, sometimes the person that must take these medication (rudely called addict) and must save themselves from the drama by distancing themselves from the family, thus having to sadly go it alone, and when money is tight, and isolation brings on depression: those people are almost destined to begin almost starting to believe the judgments and use the term addict with themself, even when in 7 years that petson has only taken this medication as prescribed. The evidence is they still are prescribed this because all urine test passed for 7 years,vand never a request to increase the dose. Just caught up in a very sad (and painful in 2 ways) reality
@MonBon Hello I just herd Johann Hari's Ted Talk on Addiction
The relationship part is true; no one can argue with that. (that is what people work on in recovery)
The last line is the opposite of addiction is not sobriety,
the opposite of addiction is a connection very true or the first line said in a different way.
Old wine in a new bottle, What we call Recovery is all about learning to reconnect with self, their sponsor, and others, so nothing new.
People always want to listen when certain trigger words are used as bait.
How to Become a Millionaire: Let me tell you the secret Bla Bla Bla
Suddenly everyone is paying attention
How to lose 25 lbs in 30 days: Let me tell you the secret Bla Bla Bla
Suddenly everyone is paying attention
and so on.
The first thing is he has a British accent, so everyone pays attention because it is different. Any statement beginning with "Every & All the time" is usually not accurate. Rat experiment people with great lives and connections look like that to others; the person with a beautiful experience often does not think of their life as pleasant.
He said there is no withdrawal from heroin because soldiers coming from Vietnam, did not need to go to rehab. They never used opiates after coming to the USA. Man has never seen a VA hospital.
He appears to be a performer, tooting his horn, trying to make a living by giving inaccurate information to people about life-threatening illnesses., he should be arrested because what he is saying has the potential to cause serious harm.