Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Where's the line between anxiety and a burnout?

User Profile: Secundus
Secundus October 20th, 2022

Hello everybody!


Just out of curiosity, I'm in a situation now in which I experience quite a few panic attack symptoms (been known with them for quite some time), however the daily tiredness, ongoing weak legs etc is "kind of" new.

Seen the GP and bloodwork etc is fine. Very nice and all, but it also doesn't give a clue about what could be causing it. It triggers health anxiety. Trying to "Anna and Elsa" as much as possible (yes, let it go, accept, embrace it and eh enjoy) but the ongoing weakness worries me.


Of course, I've been looking at alternatives. On the work stress-level I score quite high, but just like anything... Look at an online test and no doubt you've got whatever the test it for. And if not, then still do! :)... Even without giving your email address to get te results.

But realistically, the sentences "you work too much" "take time off" and so on are mentioned and I know my stress levels are really really high. My main problem is that in general I love my work, don't want to leave, but there are a few new aspects into play which won't change, and I can't change (different level).


I know my own health is more important than anything, but my main question is: what are the specific differences between being in an anxiety situation, in contrast to dealing with a burn out? The last part I haven't actively dealt with (not diagnosed, that is).

Who diagnoses you with a burnout? The gp? (anxiety was diagnosed way way back by a gp, and confirmed by a therapist).


Thank you!

3
User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 October 20th, 2022

@Secundus

Hello,

That is a great question! I can see how it would be difficult to find the distinguishing line between burnout and anxiety. Burnout is often compared to being tired or fatigued. I've read that there are three main features of burnout: overwhelming exhaustion, cynicism and detachment from the job or task, and the sense of not being productive, accomplished or effective. So, for example, low work engagement — like feeling detached from a purpose and disinterested in your job — may point toward burnout and not stress. While, anxiety is the typical feeling which helps us create a distance from something which instills fear in us.

Here are some helpful articles I've found: Burnout, stress, depression, anxiety: what is the difference? Where Do You Fall on the Burnout Continuum?

Also, it may help to consult your physician about it!💛💫

1 reply
User Profile: RarelyCharlie
RarelyCharlie October 20th, 2022

@innateJoy9602 No, burnout is not a diagnosis. The US diagnostic manual (DSM-5-TR) describes burnout as a "cultural idiom of distress" that may not indicate a psychiatric disorder. The World Health Organization's manual (ICD-11) lists burnout as an occupational phenomenon, not a medical condition.

To address your main question, although I am not an expert, my perspective would be that anxiety is a mental state, and a mental illness if it's severe, meaning that it originates within your mind. Burnout, on the other hand, and workplace stress if it's mild, originates in the workplace, not within your mind.

As you've had symptoms related to anxiety for some time, your doctor has ruled out organic causes, and do-it-yourself methods haven't solved the problem, it seems to me that therapy is the logical next step. Seeing a therapist before evidently didn't help, but ineffective therapists are commonplace. I would suspect that a better therapist could help you to continue the work that you love while addressing the mental health issues.

Charlie

load more
User Profile: Secundus
Secundus OP October 20th, 2022

Hi both, thank you for replying!


Of course, not a single issue stands by itself, the fact that I'm already gifted with anxiety, definitely doesn't make the matter more pleasurable.

If I look at the article, then the thin line between an anxiety attack and a burn out is pretty slim. In fact, a burn out can cause anxiety attacks (as I read). I don't really fit the 3 criteria, Love my work, don't get the impression that I'm not performing as I should, and I can focus.

Seems to be a bit of the story of my life though, I indeed went to see a therapist, but that (indeed) didn't solve much. Anxiety was too less severe to make me fit into any program and I definitely didn't fit the category hypochondriac. Sorry to disagree with the dsr, but for myself I know I'm fitting that bill. :)

I'll definitely bring it up with the gp (need a referral here) and seek help. Feeling wise I've got better things to do than to make everything more exciting than it is. It's limiting... Go guess what I don't like...!


Again, great feedback, feel free to give opinions and wisdom!