Every time I go in the right direction socially I get all this anxiety and mess it all up
I was in this situation for a long time during covid where I lost a lot of social skills. I really want to recover and feel confident again, but every time I go out of my way or stick out socially I get tons and tons of anxiety. Its so hard becuase I know the only way I will feel good about myself socially is if I stick out and go out of my way to say things, and not just say the bare minimum to get by at all times. I need to regain my social skills and there isn't really any easy way of doing that without taking risks and just saying things, even when other people aren't.
So that is what i have been trying to do, taking the risk of going out of my way to say things, but every time I go out of my comfortable space, I get sooo much anxiety and want to get out of the situation as much as possible, which looks really weird to the person I am talking to. Like Im literally the person coming up to them and then act like I really have no interest in talking to them, it sucks cause I do but like I am just super uncomfortable.
I am in a weird situation cause I feel like Im not really an introvert, I feel like my self worth is made up of how people perceive me which is kind of an extroverted thing, and I used to be pretty extroverted, I've just lost a lot of the skills and really don't like feeling so awkward in social situations.
Is there anything strategies or ways of getting around this? This is really messing with me, like I really need to raise my self esteem cause it isn't doing well. Thanks.
@internetkenny
you seem to express your self fine in the written word..... i have always been shy and introverted and had to force myself to speak up........ i hear from many they feel like they lost social skills during Covid but also have seen other flourish in coming out of this ....... neighbors saying hello more frequently or saying other things instead of the just have a nice day thing..........
curious to me why this has had opposite effects to some ....... but skills in anything need practice.... you might practice in a mirror or just take a few attempts and do not stress the few missteps you may make along the way.....
@internetkenny
I completely understand what you mean I was an in person sales man before the pandemic and now I have to work a call center and even that is hard at times. I have learned to just be honest to people when I speak to them and openly say something along the lines of “ I am sorry if I seem non interested I really am I just have social anxiety but I do really care about this conversation” its worked for most and has even kept the real friends in my life who have slowly been helping me break this shell of mine. I also like to take a mental break before socializing to remind myself that I am in control and will not falter.