Need some strategies for driving anxiety
hello! my partner and I are planning a trip to Boston, and we’re planning to rent a car for a few days to travel to some small towns along the coast. between the two of us, I’m a more cautious driver and I have more experience driving, so we both agreed I should probably be the driver, but I’m starting to have some doubts.
I don’t know where the anxiety came from or how it started, but every time I think about driving on our trip, I get this sinking feeling that something bad is going to happen, even though I’ve never been in an accident before. I don’t tend to drive to unfamiliar places, and when I do, I try to look at the maps ahead of time to find an easier route. however, this trip throws my whole strategy out the window since I’ve never driven outside my state before, let alone Boston.
I’ve tried everything I could think of, from familiarizing myself with the routes to even watching people drive on the highways over there for some exposure. I’ve talked to my partner about this, and he’s open to helping me drive and even taking over the driving responsibility (though we’re both anxious drivers which doesn’t really improve the situation either way). I lowkey feel like a loser for not being able to do something so simple. I know I can drive to unfamiliar places because I’ve done it before. I’ve always had anxiety but over time, I’ve found my ways to manage it. I worry that I can’t manage it this time, and I feel so stuck and unsure of what to do.
any strategies, conventional or even straight up strange, would be greatly appreciated. thank you regardless for taking the time to read this.
@onesmallduck
I too have experienced this. Do not like to drive outside my comfort zone and would be fearful to drive in a whole different city.
You are not alone in this anxiety. What I found is take it easy and do it no video or even being a passenger in car will fix it...the more we study for it my stress level raised not faded .. It is doing it that calmed me.. I found even the most experienced and confident driver can take a wrong turn or get lost .. even honked at ........ or whatever you have been stressed about.