Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #41: Are there any underlying beliefs or fears that fuel your anxiety?

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver October 29th, 2024

Hello all and welcome back to another discussion, 

A couple of weeks ago, we discussed what kind of behaviors anxiety has caused you to engage in. Thank you to all who participated and shared your thoughts with us. I appreciate you all. I hope all who may read it find it relatable, too. If anyone hasn't shared them yet, please share them here, and I look forward to reading and discussing them with you. 


This week's prompt:  Are there any underlying beliefs or fears that fuel your anxiety?

There are often underlying beliefs and fears that fuel anxiety and these can be categorized into a few key areas like core beliefs, fears, negative thinking patterns, etc. Let's start to discuss and share these behaviors and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Did you join us in the Anxiety Support Chat? It is available every Wednesday for the entire day.


its-ok-to-be-scared-omniman.gif

125
User Profile: Hopefulsnowflake
Hopefulsnowflake July 22nd, 2025

 I hear you and can get that you have a seated fear of the past repeating itself, which gets to feelings of anxiety. And this is precipitated by past experiences of loss, and a lack of safety. If I can ask, how do you think you can address these underlying beliefs and fears?

User Profile: calmWatermelon413
calmWatermelon413 July 22nd, 2025

@ASilentObserver I think the world is becoming more complicated, less stable and predictable, and more difficult to navigate. I am scared of the future because it feels like anything can happen, including losing my job, which is sort of a lifeline for me. 

User Profile: warmheartedWest725
warmheartedWest725 July 27th, 2025

@ASilentObserver Fear of feeling rejected or sensing that I am being rejected. 


User Profile: IamSaad
IamSaad July 28th, 2025

@ASilentObserver yeah… for me it’s that fear of not being “enough”  like no matter what i do, i’ll mess it up or disappoint someone. even when things are calm, my brain’s still like “what if it all goes wrong?”

just trying to remind myself now that thoughts aren’t facts… but it’s hard sometimes fr.
anyone else feel that way too?

User Profile: thoughtfulWhisper8723
thoughtfulWhisper8723 July 31st, 2025

@ASilentObserver I think all my fears comes from execcessive thinking about things I can not control , which increase my anxiety but Im learning slowly to deal with it , It will take time but Im discovering myself 

User Profile: jollyshortcake22
jollyshortcake22 August 4th, 2025

@ASilentObserver I think there are definitely underlying reasons for my anxiety. Some reasons are like my fears of failure, rejection, and the belief that I’m not capable enough to handle certain situations. Negative thinking patterns like catastrophizing can also play a big role in anxiety. These thoughts create a loop or cycle almost that keeps the anxiety going, and making it hard to break free.

User Profile: gentleLily2843
gentleLily2843 August 11th, 2025

@ASilentObserver For me, I think some anxiety comes from the belief that I always need to be in control and prepared for every possible outcome. When something unexpected happens, I worry it means I’m not capable or safe. I’ve noticed that my mind tends to jump to worst case scenarios, and that can make the anxiety stronger. I’d be interested to hear if others have noticed certain beliefs or fears that seem to trigger their own anxiety."

User Profile: butterflygirl125
butterflygirl125 August 11th, 2025

society culture and parental expectation are significantly impacting our sense of self perception a weight comment from a relative can trigger emotional response from childhoood hearing same things can cause the body to respond with anixety

User Profile: CarefulBranch3560
CarefulBranch3560 August 11th, 2025

Yes not having any kind of support system or anyone to talk to. That can make things a lot worse. Causing you to feel hopeless, helpless, and giving you more anxiety and it can make your depression worse also.

User Profile: gentleLily2843
gentleLily2843 August 19th, 2025

@ASilentObserver

Hi everyone,

That’s such a thoughtful question. For me, one of the underlying beliefs that fuels my anxiety is the fear of not being “good enough.” I often catch myself worrying that if I make a mistake or don’t meet expectations, people will think less of me. This belief tends to show up in everyday situations—whether it’s being on time, finishing tasks perfectly, or even in conversations.

I’ve noticed that a lot of my anxious thoughts come from wanting to stay in control, because losing control feels unsafe. It’s not always easy to challenge these thoughts, but reminding myself that perfection isn’t realistic and that mistakes are part of being human helps me take some of the pressure off.

I’d love to hear if anyone else has similar fears or if you’ve found helpful ways to reframe those underlying beliefs.