Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Do you have an unusual panic/anxiety attack symptom?

User Profile: Yukihiko
Yukihiko July 18th, 2018

Hellow everyone!!! Good morning/afternoon/night!

I've heard that some people are experiencing unsual symptoms when having an anxiety/panic attack. If you are on of them, know that whether you understand it or not, that experience is valid heart.

I want you to share those unusual symptoms here with us <3. Maybe there's someone out there who had the same experience . . . who knows? *shrugs*

How did you overcome it? How does it make you feel?

Thanks for sharing it with us heartyeslaugh

63
User Profile: caringSunshine85
caringSunshine85 July 24th, 2018

Yes

User Profile: sunnyAcai8948
sunnyAcai8948 July 25th, 2018

I start to feel dizzy and almost like I'm going to fall over if I don't sit down, but I've never actually passed out or anything.

1 reply
User Profile: Blondie152
Blondie152 July 26th, 2018

@sunnyAcai8948 this is a panic attack? I have these all the time. I assumed they were dizzy spells. Ill have to look more into it. Thank you for sharing this.

load more
User Profile: CLMarshal57
CLMarshal57 July 25th, 2018

My panic attacks like to build. It usually starts with my chest hurting a few hours before my panic attack hits. Soon I have trouble breathing so I retreat somewhere where I can peacefully have the attack. Before it comes, it's like I'm having a heart attack. I actually believed I was having a heart attack the first time because there seemed to be no other logic. Usually the following day my panic attack symptoms retain power and travel with me through the day. Then it begins all over again.

1 reply
User Profile: Charlie40
Charlie40 July 26th, 2018

@CLMarshal57

Goodness... your attacks sound brutal. And different speed from the 60-90minute span attacks. I feel for you. You seem so... calm about it, like someone who knows the enemy so well after years of war...

load more
User Profile: Blondie152
Blondie152 July 26th, 2018

I start to feel a chest pain like awhile before, and that's when i know its coming .And then I get an overwhelming feeling of panic. I start sobbing and then hyperventilating uncontrollably. Then I just get continuous waves of the hyperventilating and I just cant breathe and It won't stop. Is this normal...? Is this a panic attack? Idk what I'm supposed to do...

1 reply
User Profile: Charlie40
Charlie40 July 26th, 2018

@Blondie152

I'll look up resources here on anxiety attacks and panic attacks, and I'll post them here or PM them to you. These attacks are horrible to go through, but the good news is that there are lots of ways to gradually reduce their intensity, and sometimes get rid of them. In the resources here, I saw interesting stuff, texts, exercises, interviews. That can be a good start for you to look at. I'll pop back later with links.

load more
User Profile: slv0707
slv0707 July 26th, 2018

I have a weird reaction where I start looking up or down involuntarily, I'll find it hard to look anyone in the eyes or at anyone at all anyway.

2 replies
User Profile: Prismz01
Prismz01 August 1st, 2018

@slv0707

I kind of have the same thing! My eyes will look all around and I struggle to keep eye contact with someone when I'm having a panic attack. I haven't ever had somebody tell me I do it but I can feel it.

User Profile: JustcallmeE
JustcallmeE August 2nd, 2018

@slv0707

I do this to. And people will tell me just to focus on something but, it almost always impossible to.

load more
User Profile: Need2findMe
Need2findMe July 27th, 2018

It's embarrassing but when my anxiety was at it's worst I had terrible gas and my whole body itched

1 reply
User Profile: Charlie40
Charlie40 July 27th, 2018

@Need2findMe

Thanks for sharing that: it shows how anxiety is in fact a very physical response to stress, it can take many forms, and we unvoluntary can feed it many thoughts that exacerbate things, but if we remove all thoughts, positive or negative, we are left with something intensely physical, involving lungs (difficulty breathing), heart (faster beat), digestive system (gas, feeling sick), skin (rash, itchiness), but at least, the good news is, we can use our mind, and train the mind, to counteract that all physical distress of anxiety... very hard at the start, I know, but we have a fighting chance to send countermeasures, through being conscious, with our minds, measures which can actually affect our physical state. Imagine not having access to that...phew...

load more
User Profile: Alon1207
Alon1207 July 29th, 2018

My anxiety sneaks up on me unawares like the Goldman popping out of a closet in my dark room. I'd be feeling fine, nothing to be anxious about when I'd notice I'm experiencing a needling sensation where I'm preparing profusely instantaneously. My chest and back are drenched and my sense of anxiety snaps to attention. Breathing becomes a challenge. Not knowing what was happening was far more challenging and scary. At least I know what's going on the it happens at the least opportune time.

I know I'm not alone. That is encouraging

User Profile: HelloThereFellowTraveler
HelloThereFellowTraveler July 31st, 2018

Yes. I used to suffer from the more ordinary ones - trouble breathing - the feeling that I was going to die or faint or have a heartattack, chest pain, etc. Now, it has evolved into intrusive thought and it's more disruptive than it's ever been. I'm struggling to get a grip on it and to get better. Meditation has helped - the 'Noting' technique in particular, but I'm also suffering from depression due to some life changes and so pushing myself to actually meditate regularily has taken a back seat, even though it has helped my anxiety in the past.

Anyway, instrusive thoughts are just the worst !! I'd take the "feeling like I'm having a heart attack" over it, any day :( ....sad

User Profile: No715
No715 August 1st, 2018

@EmikoKokoro I have back pain! Like the muscles are super tense. The pain can last from 5 minutes to 6 hours (the maximum i had) and i cannot do anything, i can't barely move and breath.

User Profile: Prismz01
Prismz01 August 1st, 2018

I can feel my anxiety build up before having a panic attack. I take medication for my anxiety, but before I didn't have any meds, I would have trouble breathing, I would get dizzy, my eyes feel all over the place, the moment felt so intense but fuzzy at the same time, chest pain, jello like limbs, and having the urge to yell out of fear. Now when I feel my anxiety build up, I feel a bit out of order and scrambled, my heart rate starts to increase, I'll get antsy, but when I have a full blown panic attack, I'll breathe heavily and fast, my heart races to the point where it feels like I'm having a heart attack, and my stomach will churn. I've been dealing with anxiety since I was in 4th grade (now I'm in 10th) so over the years I've learned what coping techniques work for me and what doesn't.

3 replies
User Profile: brokenunicorn9
brokenunicorn9 August 2nd, 2018

@Prismz01 I get shaky, light headed, my heart beats out of my chest, tingly hands, muscle spasms/twitches, and my hands cramp up and want to contract into a fist. I get the feeling you said about my eyes going everywhere too. I feel paralyzed or like I can't walk because my legs are suddenly weak. Also get really hot and sweat a lot. It's scary.

User Profile: brokenunicorn9
brokenunicorn9 August 2nd, 2018

@Prismz01 also, what meds are you taking to prevent these? I can't keep going through this. It's exhausting and scary.

1 reply
User Profile: Prismz01
Prismz01 August 2nd, 2018

@brokenunicorn9

At first I was prescribed Buspar (Buspirone) to help my anxiety as needed, but I went on Zoloft (Sertraline) as a full time medication. I get really sweaty palms when I'm anxious as well and my body starts to overheat.

load more
load more