Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Therapy for social anxiety?

User Profile: Born1From1an1Egg
Born1From1an1Egg September 30th, 2021

I have suffered from social anxiety and general isolation for mostly all my life, i'm getting sick of it and just want support in some form. I want to attempt to tell my doctor how I feel and possibly request therapy to help but i'm worried they might give an overreaction or just put me on pills and do nothing more.


If this does get any attention, I would be open to suggestions on how to possibly address this topic in a manner that doesn't make me seem off or something. Maybe i'm the one who is overreacting here but my parents have always been very against therapy for some reason, believing the doctor would put me in a mental hospital because of it.

7
User Profile: resourcefulRaspberries9901
resourcefulRaspberries9901 September 30th, 2021

I want to emphasize that you are in control of the therapy process. You can talk to a counsellor and tell them that you do not want to be on medication instead seeking true understanding. I'm pretty sure they will understand that you got this!

User Profile: RarelyCharlie
RarelyCharlie October 1st, 2021

@Born1From1an1Egg You're right, some doctors recommend trying medication first for any type of anxiety. I suppose that's because medication is relatively cheap, and when it works it often works faster than therapy. But of course you can decline medication and ask for therapy. Depending on your circumstances you might be able to go to a therapist without seeing your doctor first.

The usual approach to anxiety disorders in therapy (CBT) is to trace the anxiety back to past events and thought processes. There is no assumption that you are faulty as a person or have a permanent disability. It's a rational re-evaluation of how things came to be the way they are, in order to give you the freedom to be less isolated.

Your parents' belief that the doctor would put you in a mental hospital is difficult to understand. Mental hospitals are only useful for people who are a danger to themselves or others, or for intensive treatment of severe conditions.

Charlie

1 reply
User Profile: wittyFig3035
wittyFig3035 October 2nd, 2021

You do not need medication ! You have the choice to say yes or no and therapy is covered by insurance if you find a place it may take time to find someone your comfortable talking to but it helps so so much to talk it out. Honestly I don’t think you need to be on medication unless it’s affecting your body and daily functions like not eating or throwing up from the feeling

load more
User Profile: caringHeart7009
caringHeart7009 October 2nd, 2021

Hello @Born1From1an1Egg

You're feelings are very valid. Therapy can be intimidating, especially if it is your first time, However it is a great resource. There are many options to help heal that don't involve medications. I would encourage you to speak to your dr about your struggles and tell them what is on your mind. I think they will be very encouraging and understanding. I want to assure you that you are in control and that you are valid.

1 reply
User Profile: Born1From1an1Egg
Born1From1an1Egg OP October 4th, 2021

@caringHeart7009

I attempted to discuss with my doctor the possibilities of therapy, she didn't really seem in very much support of the idea and just encouraged to me "get out there some more" seemingly discarding why was I asking to begin with. I'm trying to reach out to some centers anyway despite this...

load more
User Profile: onlylove00
onlylove00 October 5th, 2021

Talking out your problems is the best way to find answers because you are able to vocalize what you are feeling. Although it may be scary, it will get easier. Aren't new things always harder in the beginning? You're never alone!

<3

User Profile: belindaforbes2
belindaforbes2 October 22nd, 2021

Psychotherapy improves symptoms in most people with social anxiety disorder. In therapy, you learn how to recognize and change negative thoughts about yourself and develop skills to help you gain confidence in social situations.

The exact cause of the social phobia is unknown. However, current research supports the idea that it is caused by a combination of environmental factors and genetics. Negative experiences also may contribute to this disorder, including bullying.

It is always better to get in touch with a professional therapist in such situations. In the USA, Psych Associates of Maryland is the best place to visit to get therapy treatment for your social anxiety.

Good therapy can definitely help you to overcome your social anxiety.