Was doing so good for a while, and now it all comes back
I was doing so well with my anxiety. Everything was generally okay. Had a great morning. In light of all the crap going on in the world, today felt positive.
But, my teen got some news that he was unhappy about. It wasn't terrible, or even bad news. At least not from my perspective. I guess it was just disappointing for him. (Kind of like "I didn't make the team" news.) That threw him into a tailspin which then threw me into one, and right into my anxiety about everything. I would say it's parental worry, but it has always been well beyond that. It's full on anxiety and panic attacks, and it's here again.
After several hours of discussion it sounds like things have calmed down some. Not the positive of this morning, but also not the black hole that he was in a few hours ago. Of course, the anxiety doesn't just go away. It stays there in the pit of my stomach, waiting for the next time this happens. Now all I'm thinking about is "Maybe I'll take my anxiety prescription today." I hate that. I don't want to, but I also know I need to get a solid night's rest, too, in case tomorrow is another tailspin.
@thoughtfulmomma you sound just like me. Aside from having a teenager, I have THAT anxiety. The one that quietly sits and waits in the pit of your stomach and can come out at any time oftentimes unprovoked. I believe the important thing to hang onto here is that you and your child were able to overcome - even if it took several hours of talking, you did it. You sound like a good mom. Don't be too hard on yourself about your anixety. If you need the meds take them. If you feel tomorrow will be a better day and you don't want to take them than don't. Trust your judgement/ trust yourself. Things have been so chaotic lately, eveyone's really feeling the pressure. I'm here on this site beacuse my anxiety has recently escalated and has affected my professional life. The important thing is not too be too hard on yourself - that happens to be my worst trait. I'm my own worst enemy. Hang in there momma.
@thoughtfulmomma I'm going through something similar. It's so difficult when you think you have a handle on things, and it comes back really strong. I try to talk to people, but sometimes even that doesn't work. I just go somewhere alone for a really good cry.