Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What do you wish others (who don't have social anxiety) knew about you?

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney June 22nd, 2015

What do you wish others (who don'thave social anxiety) knew about you?

95
User Profile: rowenaravenclaw
rowenaravenclaw July 21st, 2015

1. Not being snobby when I don't show up often to social gatherings/events. I do care more than you know :) Social anxiety is tough and when I do go out, it makes me feel uncomfortable if I'm out too long or often, because of all the worrying about doing/saying something wrong etc. Sometimes I'm scared.

2. It isn't ridiculous. And it isn't that easy to "just get over it" or "just do it".

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP July 23rd, 2015

Yesss. Definitely. It's nothing personal against anyone usually - but it can sometimes be taken that way. & yeaa, it's not just something you can snap out of, "oh, you're right-- that's pretty silly of me, I'll just stop" yeah, no.

If anything, people thinking you should just snap out of it makes the feeling worse because they make it seem like we're incapable of doing something "so easy" ..... (-_____-)

You're rad. Keep shining, @RowenaRavenClaw

load more
User Profile: nashinoki
nashinoki July 23rd, 2015

As an adult, I have learned to overcome a lot of my anxiety, or at least to work around it. I think people see me as cool and confident. I have learned to work around through the anxiety, but sometimes I can be working away and doing all the right things and feel totally disconnected from what's happening. Like I'm on auto-pilot. Anytime anyone approaches me at work, I worry they're going to tell me I'm doing something wrong. If I do get told I've done something wrong, I beat myself up for it for days. If there's any sort of dispute or confrontation, it takes me sometimes a whole day to calm down from it. And sometimes at night I can't sleep because of the day's stresses.

I wish they knew how draining it can be for me to maintain that air of confidence sometimes.

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP July 23rd, 2015

Your words resonate so deeply with me. I feel you on that. Over time, you learn how to cope - and how to get by day-to-day life seeming as "normal" as possible. But what you have to do to recover behind-the-scenes is a battle nobody might ever realize you face.

Being criticized for a mistake is devastating - even something small. Saying the wrong thing to someone, or at a gathering has the potential to consume your thoughts for days. In some cases, even years.

Sometimes, I just detach entirely. I've experienced dissociation since I was young - since childhood. Biologically coping by the means of DP/DR has been a unique experience. It's a blessing as much as it is a curse... but it's the only thing that makes the anxiety stop naturally.

User Profile: nashinoki
nashinoki July 25th, 2015

I only recently started noticing the disconnect. If I had it before, I didn't recognize it. I hate the feeling though, like everything is fuzzy and far away.

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP August 8th, 2015

Yeaa... I feel like, at times, it can be a blessing depending on how you perceive it. I use it to distance me from what I'm intensely feeling- so I can approach it with logic in hopes to reach solace.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: doublerainbow
doublerainbow August 7th, 2015

I wish others knew that I'm not extremely quiet. It's just my social anxiety closing me off from other people. :p I wish I could talk, but it'd give me too much anxiety to talk and have my thoughts out there. People would actually be able to judge me. (I'm recovering though (: been in therapy for 5 months! )

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP August 8th, 2015

Well, I'm glad you could reach out to a professional for guidance~ 5 months and counting is a great commitment, and I wish you the best ^_____^

But yea, that is a very significant thing.. change in how our silence is perceived to others. The most relatable.

load more
User Profile: quickwittedPapaya5619
quickwittedPapaya5619 August 8th, 2015

I just really, really wish people understood that it annoys me as much, if not more, than it annoys them. I hate always having to have a plan and feeling anxious if we don't. I hate that I want to go out but can't because the anxiety is too much. And I know it wears on my friends, but I just wish they knew that it wears on me that much more. I hate that I can't just be "normal".

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP August 19th, 2015

Not having the empathy, or feeling like we don't have the empathy, of our friends can be so exhausting. I don't know many people who ever want to be a burden on the one(s) we care about.. let alone, always feeling like we're the "difficult friend".

My hearts with you.

load more
User Profile: Heyitsmichaella
Heyitsmichaella August 8th, 2015

I wish people knew that I can deal with phone calls. I can't do it.

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP August 8th, 2015

Yeaa~ this is important. I've grown used to dealing with phone calls... but now I pace around when I'm on the phone. I can't keep still.

load more
User Profile: HisBestFriend1030
HisBestFriend1030 August 8th, 2015

I have it too and it does go away once we get older and realize that even though we think everything we ourselves say is silly, or stupid, etc it doesnt matter..because lots of people say things that are just as crazy or that dont make sense either. In any case, they are missing out on meeting some pretty cool people. Yeah we my have social anxiety, but once we get to know you we are pretty awesome! some times first impressions shouldnt be everything we need time and thats OK :)

User Profile: BlueWithNoClue99
BlueWithNoClue99 August 8th, 2015

I WISH people knew that I'm not just over here judging them. Especially when they're talking a lot or acting super weird because I'm so jealous of people who have the courage to be weird so willingly in front of others

User Profile: sunflower333
sunflower333 August 8th, 2015

If I freak you out when we first meet, its because im trying to keep you distant because I cant trust you yet. Im really a nice person, but I put up a tough facade to keep from looking as helpless as I feel inside.

August 9th, 2015

I wish people would stop giving me crap for how quiet I am. It's just how I am. Commenting constantly on it makes me really self conscious and then I stress myself out trying to be more talkative. Like there's something wrong with me.

User Profile: AeroRoze3
AeroRoze3 August 10th, 2015

Couldn't have said this better!

load more
User Profile: sincereOwl7815
sincereOwl7815 August 10th, 2015

To just leave me the F alone just because I'm quiet doesn't mean I'm crazy