Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Do you think that your disability impacts the relationships with people?

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence June 30th, 2017

Hello everyone ! laugh I am glad to be part of this community and i was wondering about something: i would know if you feel like your "disability" has an impact during interactions and in relationships.

I would be glad to discuss about it with you because exchanging our opinions can be a positive learning-moment.

I look forward to read your posts!

22
User Profile: ItsPreeti
ItsPreeti July 1st, 2017

@ilenia5, I feel somewhere yes

2 replies
User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP July 1st, 2017

@JovialOne

Hi there! Thanks for sharing!

1 reply
User Profile: ItsPreeti
ItsPreeti July 1st, 2017

@ilenia5, laugh

load more
load more
User Profile: TortueDesBois
TortueDesBois July 1st, 2017

I don't have any relationship. so it does not.

1 reply
User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP July 1st, 2017

@TortueDesBois

Thank you TortueDesBois, i appreciate your feedback yes

load more
User Profile: VanessaGraceStory
VanessaGraceStory July 1st, 2017

@ilenia5

Hi! I love that question because i feel somewhere along the lines, it does for me a whole bunch. I am also a straightforward person along with being diagnosed with multiple mental issues, very serious ones. So it does make it hard for people to distinguish between if i am being "mean" when i am actually just being honest. I rather be honest with someone even if it hurts their feelings, instead of lying just to make them feel better. But that's just me, I am all about knowledge & honesty in life, to say the most :) My intentions have always been Good ones & i let others know that because i want to be honest with others. Socializing is really big in the world for everyone, even sign language for some others so yes it does make an impact with my mental illnesses, mine have changed me up so much i barely recognize myself anymore.

2 replies
User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP July 2nd, 2017

@VanessaGraceStory

Hi there!! Nice to meet you and thanks for sharing your experience!

Yes as you said communication takes a big part in people's interactions and it is not always something easy. People can misunderstand or assume things in a wrong way but i find it positive that you want always to be honest and straight with people. Sometimes finding the right words to tell the truth to someone is all we can do because it can happen that just changing the way to say things can let people have a different perception and their reactions can be different as well. Important is that when we have difficulties in relationships and communications we do not feel it like a personal defeat. If we keep on trying and do our best then it's already a success, and this is what you are doing !! laugh

1 reply
User Profile: VanessaGraceStory
VanessaGraceStory July 3rd, 2017

@ilenia5

Nice to meet you, too. Thank you :) I hope anyone who reads my post may find it inspiring & helpful for them :D

load more
load more
User Profile: craftionista
craftionista July 2nd, 2017

Yes it does greatly affect how I interact with others and socialize with others. It is rather fustrating that as much as I try and I educate them they still don't understand or are not willing to accomodate and do not understand.

1 reply
User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP July 2nd, 2017

@craftionista

Hi!

Well it's too bad that they do not make any effort to try to understand or to interact with you in the way you need. It is good when we do our best to let them people know what we need and try to explain what hurts or please us but if it doesn't work then maybe we need to keep our energy to focus and have care of ourself. Not all the relationships give a positive feedback, not always it is good to have expectations when things do not work at all.

Never forget to give yourself the care and the love you deserve even if it is a moment in which anyone seems to. You deserve it @craftionista. yes

load more
User Profile: InkStainedFingers
InkStainedFingers July 13th, 2017

It happened to me a lot and still does effect me, as my disability is a physical tremor, my friends that are seemingly long lost now always reassured me that my disability wasn't an issue but it feels it was because I felt and still feel I'm being treated differently or ignored just so the activity can end quicker.

The newer people and friendships I'm forming since starting counseling aren't as worrysome, but still it is hard if in an online setting to explain things the right way because you can't see or hear mannerisms or nuances of speech.

As for the more intimate relationship types, when ever it comes to explaining why I don't drive, have my license or use public transport as my main mode of getting around and even my disability its self, I'm always finding that when I do tell a woman this they freak out and go silent so I then go away from the experience feeling I'm being ignored in the same way as my friends have done.

- Ink

1 reply
User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP July 15th, 2017

@InkStainedFingers

Hello!

Sorry to hear that you have to explain them things and feels like you have to justify yourself. You are doing great facing all that with patience and I am glad that you find a way to go outside and do not isolate yourself. yes

load more
User Profile: peacefulBlossom33
peacefulBlossom33 July 13th, 2017

I think it affects my relationships but not in an obvious way. Because I'm high functioning, most of the time I think people forget I have an illness. Or if I mention I'm tired, I just get the "omg, I'm sooo tired too. I got like, no sleep last night." Most people don't make the connection that I'm tired from fatigue caused by the illness, not from staying up late.

It's also a misconception of what my illness is, and what it does to someone, and I know I can do more to educate the people in my life. At the same time I also want them to take the initiative. So, I guess it does impacts my relationships.

1 reply
User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP July 15th, 2017

@peacefulBlossom33

Hi there!

As you said you can always educate people about your illness and even if sometimes you can feel annoyed by them do not understanding or tired to explain, i think it is worth your effert. Keep going! smiley

load more
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo July 16th, 2017

It really affects my interactions with doctors and other related professions.

For more personal relationship, yes. Some of how it affects me isn't really super obvious, but living with health issues my entire life certainly is a factor in who I am, and that would include how I relate to others. At other times, it's much more obvious, when I'm tired and cut things short, with mood swings, etc.

1 reply
User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP July 19th, 2017

@AffyAvo

Thanks for sharing Affy.

It sure is not easy and i hope that people around you give you positiveness during dark moments.

A big hug!

load more
User Profile: Skywheeler
Skywheeler July 20th, 2017

Yes, definitely. Having to rely on others for physical assistance alters the dynamic in nearly all my relatonships. I hate being dependent on others, and when someone close to me gives the slightest signal that I am bothering them because I need something I become very sad. Also, my occasional desire to be an anonymous face in the crowd doesn't get realized too often.

On the other hand, it does do two positive things: 1- I think it gives me a degree of empathy that I might not otherwise posess; and 2- it puts me in close proximity to others. Sometimes I do wish I could just be alone... but in reality I will never go to bed or get out of bed without closely interacting with another person. When I am lonely, I at least have someone physically present, and usually emotonally present as well.

1 reply
User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP July 20th, 2017

@Skywheeler

Hi there!
Thanks for your post, it is really reach in meanings and it perfectly describes your life and the way you face it. For that I would say that you are a really positive person aware of your points of weakness but also your points of strenght. I am glad that you try to find a balance in all that, this positive attitude sure can help you during hard moments. I do not mean to diminish the difficulties you may deal with, for that i would tell you to ask for help and share your pain everytime you feel to. Wish you all the best, you really deserve it.

load more
User Profile: MythologicalMayhem
MythologicalMayhem July 20th, 2017

@ilenia5

I'm always nervous about bringing up my conditions when dating. They often want to do super strenuous things with me for a first date and it's kind of awkward. I feel like they wouldn't want to be with me, that I'm a burden, although I look after myself, but most guys are super adventurous and want to climb mountains and things.

It can cause some frustration between me and my dad because he's often quite distant and doesn't know much about it. I think he just feels I should get on with it.

2 replies
User Profile: Skywheeler
Skywheeler July 20th, 2017

@MythologicalMayhem I hear that! I always erred on the side of being too honest. Probably why I didn't get a lot of first dates. Possibly also why one time that first date led to 15 years of marriage and counting.

User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence OP July 20th, 2017

@MythologicalMayhem

Hello!

Yes it is understandable that you feel that way and a lot of persons live the same when they do not feel to be on the same wavelenght with their friends, for a reason or another. I'm sorry to hear that sometimes you experience difficulties when you interact with people near you or even someone so close like a family member. I would hope they would treat you like you wish and i also hope you will always have the strenght to express your needs and practice the self care you deserve. We are here for you too, feel free to share with us your sad moments and also your positive ones, we can be with you in this journey !

A big hug !!

load more
User Profile: Brighthappiness132
Brighthappiness132 July 25th, 2017

@ilenia5 I think after quite a lot of experience in terms of people I do and don't get along with, I'm good at figuring out if maybe somebody is uncomfortable around me for the way I look or generally doesn't want to be associated with me. For me, the people I don't know are uaually the ones that don't get along with me straight away as they don't know me fully yet. Due to the way I look, most people will judge me pretty much from first impressions, wheras my closest friends know me inside out. Thanks to the impressions I sometimmes, my disability can put me back a bit in social situations, like a party or gathering. But people that get to know me quickly realise that I'm totally diffrent from my face.

Thsnkd for the interesting question, it's my first time on this group so YAAY! Have a lovely day!

Serena x