Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What do you wish everyone knew about your disability?

User Profile: vivelespatates
vivelespatates March 18th, 2017

don't be scared to break drown the stigma!

176
User Profile: Pikashuppet
Pikashuppet March 24th, 2017

I'll talk about autism on this one as I've been diagnosed with PDDNOS at age 2, and it's been 20 years at this point since I officially got it. Autism is quite common today, and even though it wasn't AS common when I first had it, half the time doctors and teachers in schools still see it as more of a joke and a disease than anything when it's not a laughing matter.

You hear autistics get discriminated left and right on the news, it never ends. :\ Regardless of the level of autism, the discrimination towards them is just as cruel.

I was a victim of complete rejection in elementary school SOLELY because I was stuck in the same special class for three years after leaving the state I was born in. It wasn't as bad once I got in mainstream courses, but it resumed again once I was in high school since my meltdowns got worse. Leading to mocking from older classmates, increased anxiety, etc.

College...Don't even start. They violated my special needs MORE than just my autism. Tech wasn't too bad with my issues. My uni, however, was considered a high class one (it isn't Harvard or Yale), and apparently they didn't want a ruined reputation and for their sake, my autism was ignored despite me telling them I was special needs. Apparently, they hate peers with disabilities like autism, but they see someone like myself who also has anxiety, depression, panic attacks, seizures, paranoia, and even had suicidal thoughts??? Yeah, they ignore the symptoms and still place me in groupwork and shiz, which HAS triggered multiple anxiety attacks, paranoia, sensory overload, and thoughts of self harm. Hell, I tried suicide TWICE! Uni wasn't for me. ;3;

I tried for a bachelor's to see if I could live an "average" life to prove I'm not worthless to society, but I failed. Now, I feel safe being out of there and any mention of further schooling from anyone IRL including family is a kick in the face for me. -_- It'll only get worse if I try school once more, so I'll just do blogging and taking/selling my photography and finding other hobbies to make a living out of.

1 reply
User Profile: UnwantedChick
UnwantedChick March 25th, 2017

@Pikashuppet

I think my son went thru similar thing as yours cuz he didn't want to go back to college again. Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry that you went thru so much troubles to get your educations. I can't believe that people can be so ignorant and nasty to those in needs especially colleges. Wishing you nothing but the best in life.

load more
User Profile: placidShade
placidShade March 24th, 2017

I want people to understand that my condition affects a multitude of seemingly unrealted bodily functions, from my appetite, metabolism, heart rate, tempature regulation, muscle strength (or lack thereof) and mood.

User Profile: Anfal
Anfal March 25th, 2017

Don't be so quick to judge me. after all you see what I choose to show you.

User Profile: TheBookworm94
TheBookworm94 March 25th, 2017

I was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder when I was five-years-old. It was a struggle for me while I was growing up. During elementary school, life was fine as I had a couple of good friends and I was barely bullied. Once I started the sixth grade, that was when the bullying started for me. I attended a middle school for the last couple months of the school year where I was constantly teased and bullied since I was the only white girl in my class. I could not handle the bullying no more so I went to live with my mom, step-dad, sister, and brother. I attended a new school district where I was teased and bullied some more, but not as bad as the bullying in my old school district.

When I was 13, I began to suffer from depression. I would suddenly have crying spells in school and I would be teased or bullied because of that. I felt like I hated myself. I struggled to make friends and hang out with them outside of school. When I got to high school, I immediately hated my high school years. I've had teachers and a principal who were extremely rude to me, trying to blame me for stupid things that I apparently did wrong and I felt that they did not understand. I graduated from high school and then I graduated from college in 2016 with an Associate's degree in Medical Office Administration. I wish everyone knew that I want to be treated just like everyone else. I wish nobody would tease or bully me.

March 25th, 2017

@vivelespatates i wish people new that my disability stemes from chronic illness this means my ability to do things changes constantly

User Profile: convivialPlum6966
convivialPlum6966 March 25th, 2017

I want people to understand that some days its easier for me to joke about it and that's usually because I've spent the night before crying or unable to sleep because I can't stop thinking.

I want people to understand that it really isn't the things you see me struggle with that bother me. Its calculating the number of drinks I can have in front of you before I pee on the floor. Working out what food I am able to carry for myself, to decide what I will have for lunch, only eating lunch so you don't think I'm weird for not eating. Only ordering drinks from a machine because I'm frightened of spilling the drink on myself and being in even more pain than I am already in, on top of you feeling bad at me for my special moment. And it also means i dont have to have a inner panic attack from talking to a real life person I don't know just to get a drink. I don't know in person. Its working out where exactly is the best place for me to sit in a room where I am in your way as least as possible. It is hoping that you will ask me to be part of what ever plans you have after class, while at the same time never wanting you to ask me to come, because I am convinced that if I will ruin what ever plans you had in the night. Its not wanting your help because I already feel like people do to much for me, and all I do is create problems for you and you have your own shit to deal with.

But mostly, it's the impossibility future I can't stop thinking about that I will never have.

User Profile: TweetyBird1015
TweetyBird1015 March 25th, 2017

I know I may seem like I'm not doing much but having PTSD, Major Depression, Generlized Anxiety, and rarely sleeping due to Insomnia I'm really trying my best.

User Profile: DariaandJane
DariaandJane March 25th, 2017

That I don't want it to have control over me. That I fight with it every single day. That I beat myself up all the time for seeming weak and over emotional. That I'm afraid nobody will ever love me and I'll be left all alone.

User Profile: KamClayton
KamClayton March 25th, 2017

I wish people knew that my disability makes things hard for me learn

User Profile: Compassion21
Compassion21 March 25th, 2017

Is that it's a disability, not a choice.