Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

(in)accessible rental apartments/housing for people with disability

User Profile: vivelespatates
vivelespatates May 2nd, 2018

Is/was that a challenge for you to find an accessible rental housing?
For sure, here finding a housing accessible and affortable when you have physical disabilities is a hard challenge! And I did not talk about discrimination... (but now I do and invite you to talk about it too)
The right to housing does it really exist?

Please share your experiences <3

10
User Profile: CaringBrit
CaringBrit May 5th, 2018

@vivelespatates ty for this post vive with such an important topic within our community

User Profile: richyShiny39
richyShiny39 May 5th, 2018

I need help because I know there are disabled people younger who do not have family and the expense of living with income on a disability is not meant to have you coping with no place to stay.

1 reply
User Profile: TheLifeOfKelli
TheLifeOfKelli May 5th, 2018

@richyShiny39 that was the kindest thing Ive read on this app since using it at 5:30am. Feels like Im not so alone suddenly.

load more
User Profile: caringShoulder14
caringShoulder14 May 8th, 2018

thankfully i haven't had issues finding a place but i know many struggle with that

User Profile: versatileYard8117
versatileYard8117 May 10th, 2018

What bothers me is that so many apartments lack "basic" accessibles like wide-enough doorframes or elevators. I understant it might be expensive to install but it's still so annoying. For instance, on my university campus only a really really small fraction of housing options have accessible options, and then I mean bare minimum like ramps or elevators. :( Not to mention the universitybuildings themselves and the lecture-halls.
Though I personally can get around just fine most days, I think of those who can't and yeah, it angers me that the university doesn't care enough about it.

3 replies
User Profile: CaringBrit
CaringBrit May 10th, 2018

@versatileYard8117 same here it disgusts me they dont provide for all

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic May 10th, 2018

@versatileYard8117

the newer builds should have accessible routes, its the older conversions and municipal buildings that are really hard, but then in the past if one was disabled or in a wheelchair I'm not sure they expected the person to be called to court or government buildings and college campus?

1 reply
User Profile: versatileYard8117
versatileYard8117 May 10th, 2018

@MistyMagic I guess you're right! :) Gives me hope at least that newer buildings take accessability into consideration

load more
load more