Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Strapping down wheelchair in vehicle at assisted living home

User Profile: patientLion1897
patientLion1897 July 18th, 2025

I had a stroke and I’m in a wheelchair. I live in an assisted living home.  When they take us out they force us to transfer to a seat. It’s my understanding that they are required to have  the ability to strap us down. The director said it’s a liability. I’m looking for feedback

6
User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 July 18th, 2025

@patientLion1897 I'm also permanently in a wheelchair🙁 I think they do that because of safety and legal reasons

2 replies
load more
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 July 19th, 2025

@patientLion1897

I guess asking the director any q you have and or fears or concerns, and getting them addressed will allow you the tools to make some informed choices and to feel more relaxed when this happens 💜💕

User Profile: LabeledBPD
LabeledBPD July 20th, 2025

If you require adaptive and supportive seating requirements a mobility vehicle should have appropriate straps that do not require transfer. From all the chairs I’ve encountered they all have the fixing points, it’s just does the vehicle have such options and do they see a transfer into a regular seat in no way detrimental in travelling and in the unlikely event of a collision?



User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic July 23rd, 2025

@patientLion1897 Lion,  welcome to the Disability Support Community.  I am so sorry to hear about your stroke. That is such a difficult situation to be put in. Yes, they do this for safety reasons, but you should always be treated with respect and kindness.  I don't know which country you are in or your circumstances so maybe research that a little as rules will vary with each country or state.

Hopefully you are getting the support and care that you need, please feel free to share more here and we can respond.