Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What is one thing you wish your family knew/understood about anorexia that they don't?

User Profile: Laura
Laura December 10th, 2014

Share with the community here.

34
User Profile: Sherbertdab
Sherbertdab January 21st, 2015

Personally that it's not just some diet. I'm not choosing to not eat, I have to. I have to not exercise. I feel fat, walking down the street I feel like an elephant.

User Profile: StrugglingIntrovert
StrugglingIntrovert January 24th, 2015

That even on bad days, I'm still trying. Even when I've missed meals, I still haven't completely given up on recovery. That even though my heart isn't always in it and I may have long periods of relapse, I'm still trying, in my own small way.

User Profile: kylap
kylap January 25th, 2015

That I have it... ha.

My siblings have all suffered from eating disorders, but I'm viewed as the "good child" who never had any problems. In reality, I just keep it from them because I hear the way they talk about my siblings behind their backs and don't want to be a burden or have them pretend to give a damn when they don't.

User Profile: junevalkyrie
junevalkyrie February 10th, 2015

I want them to realise that I'm not getting better. It's strange, like I want to keep fooling them but I just want to scream that I'm not getting better. I've been relapsing for ages, I suppose in many ways I was never trying to recover.

I just need them to understand how difficult this all is for me. I need them to realise someday's I can't do it, someday's I need to skip this meal and maybe I'll make up for it later. But I've been hiding food and fasting. I just want them to realise they haven't done anything to help me, they have only ever made it worse....

User Profile: ladyphoenix84
ladyphoenix84 March 5th, 2015

I want them to understand that I am pushing myself and that when I get anxious about food, it's not a choice. My brain just works that way. Even when I am eating in front of them, I am thinking about every bite I am taking.

User Profile: lonelycupoftea
lonelycupoftea March 5th, 2015

That you can not just stop.

User Profile: lolaxic
lolaxic March 31st, 2015

that recovery is a long process and it's not in a month that you will get better and add some pounds to your body. I hate the way they talk about it it's like they knew how is to have this desease.

User Profile: Koohii
Koohii March 31st, 2015

It. Is. NOT. About. Food.

Also, just because one has started eating again and put on weight, that does not mean the struggle stops there.

1 reply
User Profile: lolaxic
lolaxic April 25th, 2015

this is true, i came back to my normal weight and everybody thinks i am recovered but i still hate my body and i am sure imdepressive but i dont know how to tell my mom i need therapy

load more
User Profile: Anomalia
Anomalia April 2nd, 2015

That just because my body looks healthier now doesn't mean I don't still need support sometimes.

User Profile: ForneverSecondBest
ForneverSecondBest April 2nd, 2015

That when I've been trying and I look like I've gained some weight, they shouldn't applaud me. Pointing out the pudge makes me want to never eat again.