Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Foster Care & Stigma - Share your stories

User Profile: Laura
Laura July 20th, 2018

Foster Care & Stigma - Share your stories


(Relocate due to forum reconstruction 03/31/2022 @Sher217)

16
User Profile: RaCat
RaCat July 27th, 2018

@Laura it might not be a real story, as I am not in a foster care, but I am always so annoyed when some stereotypes or awful things are being said about those in foster care or adoption. My dad always makes rude comments on them, saying that these kids can't be fixed, that their life is ruined and etc and I find it so so so stupid... I believe that it's not true because of the genes and your background matters, yes, but the place where you are now and your present, your future and your wishes matter as well.

It's so stupid to judge someone only because they were in foster care or because of their family - why we are always focusing on only one thing in the person and ignore all other things? frown

User Profile: PhoenixAsh
PhoenixAsh July 27th, 2018

@RaCat Heya Rasa heart Even if you haven't been in foster care yourself, there is certainly a lot of stigma around foster care that can be seen everywhere - so thank you for sharing your experiences with us! It can be pretty upsetting to hear people close to us making rude comments, especially when they're quite unfair and untrue :(

I agree, while foster care can be a big part of someone's life, it isn't the part that defines them! Their personality, their future, and their wishes all reflect on the person they are too

load more
User Profile: MxSkeleton
MxSkeleton August 11th, 2018

@Laura

I was taken into custody after my mother tested positive for meth. The Foster Care was a short thing for me, because I had my family willing to temporarily take me in, until my mother was clean turned into a heart wrecnhing battle. I was 12 before I finally saw my mom again, at my grand father's funeral. It was something bitter sweet, but it paved the road to a rocky relationship I had with her. We had on and off connection from then on, she was clean, but she wasn't okay anymore. She was both physically and mentally unstable, and although I she finally was a part of my life, I could only call her mom a short time, before things got worse. My cousins, and technically my foster family, kept me until I was 17 before I parted ways because of differences, but to this day, I couldn't help but think how different my life would be, if I had grown up with my mom, and not in a broken home. However, I am so thankful, that my parents I love, know and grew up with were there, because I think this is the best outcome. I don't share my story for pity, but rather for someone who might still be in the system today, to understand that things will get better and that you will heal. I promise. If anyone needs a 1 on 1 chat, and they were in/ still in the foster system, don't hesitate to message me.

~~~MissSkeleton

User Profile: PhoenixAsh
PhoenixAsh August 12th, 2018

@MissSkeleton Thank you for sharing your story with us. It sounds like you overcame a lot of struggles in your childhood in your relationship with your mother, which must've been a huge thing to deal with. It seems like your cousins/foster family made a good home for you though, despite everything else that you had to cope with in that time.

Thank you for offering your support to others as well, I'd love to see you around our community heart

User Profile: MxSkeleton
MxSkeleton August 12th, 2018

@PhoenixAsh


Thank you, I hope I can make a difference in others lives for the better :)

User Profile: discreetHouse7176
discreetHouse7176 January 11th, 2019

@MissSkeleton Your story is inspiring for me. You

User Profile: MxSkeleton
MxSkeleton January 18th, 2019

@discreetHouse7176

Your post has warmed my heart, thank you so much <3

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: TortueDesBois
TortueDesBois August 21st, 2018

People always ask me what I did wrong for getting into instutition

User Profile: PhoenixAsh
PhoenixAsh August 24th, 2018

@TortueDesBois That sounds like a pretty unfair thing to ask, especially when it's something that's out of your control as a kid. It must be frustrating to hear, especially if you hear it often frown

load more
User Profile: discreetHouse7176
discreetHouse7176 January 5th, 2019

I was in foster care for 7 years, from 7 years old to 14 years old. I was put in because I

User Profile: PhoenixAsh
PhoenixAsh January 9th, 2019

@discreetHouse7176 Hey there, I'm so sorry for the late response. It sounds like you really went through a lot in your childhood, and it's only a natural response to act out to that. It must be so tough to hear people ask those types of questions, and I can really see why you wouldn't want to share what you've been through in light of that. And after everything, I can see how it would be hard to be close with your parents - do you still keep in contact with them?

User Profile: discreetHouse7176
discreetHouse7176 January 11th, 2019

@PhoenixAsh We talk every once in a while. It

load more
User Profile: Jill7Cups
Jill7Cups January 11th, 2019

@discreetHouse7176 I'm glad you found our community, welcome. This is a safe space to talk about what you are comfortable sharing. For what it is worth, you don't have to have a close relationship with your parents if you don't want one. It is okay to create boundaries to protect yourself. I hope you find support here.

User Profile: discreetHouse7176
discreetHouse7176 January 11th, 2019

@Jill7cups Thank you!

load more
load more