Grandmother
Recently got news from my Aunts in Hong Kong, that my grandmother is in the Hospital. She's being transferred to a larger hospital for treatment. I'm thinking I should visit her in the near future, I don't want my next visit to be at the grave. The last time I flew back and saw her was in November 2008. Hope she reacts to treatment well, so that I can save enough to make a visit in the next couple of years.
@Jaeteuk I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope that things get better for her and you're able to visit her soon
Thank you, my parents will be flying to see her possibly in July. I'm not sure when I'll be able to go though. I hope she'll be okay for another few years, but she is in her 90s already.
@Jaeteuk I hope you can find a way to go visit her in July ❤️
I most likely can't in July. Working all summer until end of September. Unfortunately cannot take those times off because my work shifts are to cover colleagues' vacation. But because of current financial struggle, it'll take me at least 2 years to have recovered and be able to have enough money to travel.
@Jaeteuk Oh that must weigh on your heart to have to wait to go visit. I can totally understand the financial struggle though. Maybe when your parents go they could set something up and you could face time or zoom with your grandmother? That would give you both the chance to "see" one another and say anything you might like to say :)
You're right about my heart feeling heavy. When I went to work yesterday, it almost felt like I was having a minor panic attack. Felt really heavy on the heart as if there was some sort of pressure weighing it down. Thank you for your suggestion, maybe a virtual greeting will have to be my only choice for now.
@mytwistedsoul
@Jaeteuk It's understandable that you would be feeling a lot of anxiety right now. You said she's being moved to a larger hospital for treatment. So you know she's unwell. She's up in age. Which I think it's amazing and wonderful that she's in her 90's! Hopefully the possibility of connecting with her virtually helps ease your mind :)
I will keep you, her, and your family in my prayers. It's sad to see them in preparation for leaving this world, but she likely has fond, loving memories of you. Maybe find a way to let her know your thinking of her and how much you love her.
Thank you, I hope my mum can at least visit her this summer and bring my thoughts along. I was already saddened when I never met my grandfather, and he only met me when my mum was pregnant with me. So grandmother had been living by herself all these years. I hope I can visit her myself, but currently facing some financial issues. If mum goes, I'll definitely do something for her to bring as my thoughts to her. My grandmother doesn't know how to read, so I can't even give her a card/letter. I'll have to think of something else.
@Jaeteuk that is horrible news, I'm so sorry to hear that...I pray that your grandmother will be okay. 🙏
Latest update over the past weekend. My Aunt 7 went to visit on Saturday, and says that grandmother is looking healthy and full of energy. Probably because at the hospital, the nurses watch over their patients to make sure they finish their meals. As when my grandmother lived at home by herself, she may not have eaten all her meals on time, nor were they nutritious foods.
My Aunts and Uncle are looking into finding a private care home that is close to where the majority of them live. That way, it'll be more convenient for them to visit. So, hopefully, by the time my parents visit in October, grandmother would already be in a care home.
I also learned that grandmother is currently placed in a Psychiatric Hospital because when she first pressed the alert/help button, she told the operator that she wants to jump off a building. The reason why she pressed the button in the first place, turns out because one of my Aunt's husband went and had a huge fight/argument with her (but Aunt did not stop him), husbands of older Aunts tried to persuade him to stop but didn't work. So, I guess grandmother pressed the button after they have left, probably felt blood pressure at its max and felt unwell. Luckily, response team arrived quickly and she received treatments and tests. That's how they found out that her brain and neck are deteriorating quickly.
So, my mum says, at that kind of hospital, they won't keep grandmother admitted for too long, but since they don't recommend her to live alone anymore; that's why they're in a hurry to find a care home.
Aunt 7 was talking to my mum, seeing how grandmother looks so energetic, that she could probably live past 100 years old!!! She's now 94. So, I wish she stays healthy, so I have my time/chance to visit her in the near future~
@Jaeteuk Hello Jaeteuk, sorry to hear about your aunt's husband getting into an argument with your grandmother, which caused her stressed...It's good that your grandma has the support of you and the rest of the family, I'm sure she appreciates it greatly! :)
Also, that sounds like a lovely update that she is doing much better and feels energetic.
I also wish you the best as well, as I understand how financial situations can be frustrating.
I don't mean to be a kibbitzer, but if you are struggling financially, I do recommend to see what resources the government can provide you to help out [ex. Food, clothing, housing, child care if you have children, etc] and utilize that if you can! Or even if you need a career change, there are job agencies who can help find a job in the career you're looking for and possibly get you a higher wage.
Anyhow, please take care. We're here to support you. <3 Feel free to continue sharing with us here on 7Cups. :)
Thank you, @ImpudentIncognito
Oh yes, I was so relieved to hear that my grandmother seems to be more energetic and healthier than she was before. It was saddening to hear that it was one of the Aunt's husband that argued with her that caused the hospitalization though. I hope that husband stays away from my grandmother for some time, and if they do see each other, to not bring up what they argued about again.
With the financial struggle, long story short, I was financially scammed, and it wasn't until last December when I paid off the debt. So, let's just say, even after reporting to Local Police, what I lost is gone forever and I have to save up all over again. So, I don't think this is something the Government can provide to help.
I am working on a career change though, hoping to launch my own business this summer and if all goes well, I could be earning more income than my current part-time job.
@Jaeteuk Yeah, it would probably be best if he avoided her for now or avoid the topic that caused her stress until she heals.
I'm sorry to hear about the scam, that is disheartening. :( However, I'm glad to hear that you will be starting your business here soon! I'm a bit in the same boat as you...I'm financially struggling after some traumatic events in life, and also trying to start my own business. I feel you. I wish you all the best Jaeteuk!