Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I am absolutely disgusted....

User Profile: mruggiero95
mruggiero95 June 3rd, 2022

I'm in need of some outside perspectives on a little predicament I'm in right now. I(F26) just don't know what to do going forward with the situation I'm about to share. I found out that my dad has been actively trying to cheat on my mom for the past two months. He is on multiple hookup/affair sites like Ashley Madison and Adult Friend Finder. He has been emailing several different women, one of them being a dominatrix. In one of the emails, my dad basically says that he has fallen out of love with my mother. I went snooping on my dad computer one night and was shocked at what I found out (I know it's not right of me to snoop so no need to scold me for that). I snooped because my dad has been distant and very irritable as of lately and he has recently been prescribed adderall for an unknown reason and I wanted to know why. Now I look at my father differently and I've lost all respect for him. How could he do this to my mother?! My heart hurts for my mother because I know how much she loves him. She has mentioned before that they have argued to the point of almost divorcing, but I figured she was joking. A part of me wants to tell her what's going on because I don't want my dad to contract a STD and then give it to my mom and because she doesn't deserve to have her trust broken like that. But another part of me doesn't want to tell her because I don't want to be the thing that splits them up and that would jeopardize my living situation with them (me and my newborn daughter live with them so I can save up for a place on my own). There is no way I'm confronting my dad about this because I would rather not deal with the argument that will come from that. I love both of my parents very much, but I am so hurt for my mother. I mean I guess I could find a way to get her to find out on her own, but I don't even know how to go about that. Can anyone help me out here?


9
User Profile: reliableWest8997
reliableWest8997 June 5th, 2022

@mruggiero95 Hey, I really dont know what to suggest, but, I feel that there isn't much you can do about it based on what you wrote, and it seems like this is between the 2 of them, and it's possible you don't know the whole story, I mean, who knows if your mom knows something already, a lot of times people know and put up with things they shouldn't. You do live with them which makes it very difficult on you, I am sure. It's great that you have the family support. I wonder if there is something, anything you can do to help them in other ways that have nothing to do with their relationship. I feel the only way as their daughter is if you can be supportive back to them in some way or the other. Maybe your dad is going through a hard time for whatever reason. I am not excusing the behavior, it's just that it seems to me like there is nothing you can do to solve it, and it shouldn't be your responsibility either. I am not saying you said anything of the sort, but I can see where you are coming from, and why you would feel the need to do something. The best you can do right now is probably to support your parents in any way possible, and if that means keeping quiet, and eventually living your life as best as possible, while helping them in other ways, then that is all you can do

User Profile: reliableWest8997
reliableWest8997 June 5th, 2022

@mruggiero95 p.s. not really sure why u would argue with your dad or have an argument, maybe you could confront him still and find a way to talk to him? Once again, I don't really know what the solution is here, but it sounds like you have to try to make a decision about whether to confront your dad or mom or both and possibly act as their psychologist which is not your responsibility or keep your mouth shut. One thing is for sure that if you do decide to confront anyone, you will open up a can of worms and have to be open to the possibilty that your dad or mom do no want to go to counseling or solve the situation at all; it sounds very complicated. Also another possibility is that you could confront your dad and stop him from doing anything further, or find out if he has already done something; you could still stop him from going further but ultimately it's up to him if he decides it's worth ruining his marriage

User Profile: persistentSail2046
persistentSail2046 June 6th, 2022

@mruggiero95 went through something similar. i remember going online and asking people the same thing anonymously. I received the advise of not confronting my father. At that point I detested it as I didn't take a stabd for my mom who did SO much for my father in return for his lies. But I'm glad i stayed quiet. Now that i am myself married, im sure my mum knew. She remained to stay quiet for her own sanity as confronting him, with nowhere else to go, would have brought her shame and embarrassment. Im glad i didnt share with my brother too. I guess he knew too but we all pretended it didn't happen. Fast forward 10 years, my dad left that habit in few years time. But if it were to ever come a time when the elephant is addressed in teh room, i will blame my father. Not question my mom. But question my father for his doings as he has a married daughter now and how hurt would he be to see something of that happen to his daughter God forbid.

Your day will come. Ignore that scumbag. Make your mother happy.

1 reply
User Profile: mruggiero95
mruggiero95 OP June 6th, 2022

This comment has given me so much hope for my future and my parents future. Thank you for understanding my situation. I think I'm going to keep quiet for me and my baby's sake.

load more
User Profile: dukeofdearham
dukeofdearham June 6th, 2022

I understand that this upsets you. However, it is not your business, it is between your dad and your mom. Stay out, leave it with them.

User Profile: sociableJackfruit3877
sociableJackfruit3877 June 6th, 2022

@mruggiero95

Hey I am going through the exact same thing and I completely understand how you feel. We are three sisters and my elder sibling is a working women. And we have lost all respect for my father. I feel disgust when I look at him. Whenever he does something a father would we all hide our feelings of hurt from him. I just cannot look him in the eye ever since. He had subjected my mother to domestic violence when we were very young and it eventually stopped. We forgave him for that ! We taught it was right as he did love us or rather seem to love us and provided us everything we could ever imagine to have. All sorts of toys good education everything. But what he did has caused my mom PTSD, anxiety and depression. So we chose to be silent fearing that she'll not be able to deal with it and Because he provides for us. Although my sister works she cannot afford our education. We haven't told my mother either. She would only freak out. We think she has doubted it but my dad gaslighted her to thinking he did not. He does that everyday to every single one of us. It's never his fault. But once we all are earning.. and when the time comes we'll confront him. It seems like you are almost alone in this situation unlike me. But you'll have to stay quite till the time you can go about alone with your daughter. I know it's very hard, but you might want to consider working in the future ? I am pretty sure you'll be able to reach a place where you don't need him anymore and he'll have to admit what he has been doing. I know it's supposed to between our parents.. but it feels like he is cheating on the family. It's hard to stay silent. But you'll get through it i am sure. The same way that we'll get through it someday. We are in the same problem and I hope we get through it. I hope this helps. Hope is very strong. Never give up on hope !

User Profile: NightWitch
NightWitch June 6th, 2022

My cousin went through this as his mother was dying of cancer. He went and told her and refused to have anything to do with his father, I don't know if that helps but that is my experience with this type of situation. NightWitch

User Profile: gss3006
gss3006 June 6th, 2022

I am writing this as the mother being cheated by the father. My husband has been cheating on me for years. Initially I got to find out when I checked his HP. I confronted him once. He denies. Thereafter I confirmed it when I install tracker in his car. I didn’t confront him anymore. I kept quiet for my children‘s sake. I hope I can hold out till my kids become adult. But at least I know what he’s doing behind my back. And I can protect myself from any disease.


I am sharing this so that maybe you can decide what’s best for your mum. Hugs 🤗