Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Why does my family member make fun of me in front of others at gatherings and get togethers?

User Profile: helloRaspberries2172
helloRaspberries2172 February 26th, 2025

I feel like family members could be fake nice infront of your face, but behind your back or when there are other people around their demeanor can change and their true colors show.

Last get together I was it with my family member I heard one making fun of me behind my back and later on in front of my face. He did this when everyone else was there and I had little time to react because of how quickly he changed the subject.

It's incredible how ones true colors can change that quickly almost as if it was planned to target and pick on me from the very start. From the beginning I have noticed that family members like to pick and choose me every opportunity they get.

11
User Profile: toughTiger6481
toughTiger6481 February 26th, 2025

@helloRaspberries2172

People like that IMO are insecure and feel picking on you somehow elevates themselves ... it doesn't 

it hurts to find out someones true colors sometimes but do not run away from these  situations it is a growth opportunity for all. I stood up in a situation similar.

I told them " if making fun of me makes you feel better you must be suffering, and for those who chose to listen to this how very immature  of you"     no one ever said a thing again and those who were listening to the backstabbing making fun of me always since have disengaged from gossip and playing petty games. 

User Profile: Emleah77
Emleah77 March 8th, 2025

@helloRaspberries2172

Hi Raspberries💗

I'm really sorry you're feeling this way especially when it comes to your family. It sounds incredibly painful to feel like you're being treated one way when people are in front of you, only to see their true colors behind your back. That kind of behavior can leave you feeling really hurt and confused, especially when it's coming from people who are supposed to be there for you! It must be so frustrating to feel like you're being picked on or targeted and I can understand why that would leave you feeling isolated or unsupported.

Oftentimes, people act in ways that seem hurtful or inconsistent because of their own insecurities, jealousy, or even issues they may have that they haven't dealt with. It's possible that they are behaving that way out of a need for the attention or to feel better about themselves, even though it ends up hurting others. But it doesn't make it right, and it's absolutely okay for you to feel upset about their actions.

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to deal with this especially since family relationships are supposed to be a source of support. Have you had a chance to talk to them about how this makes you feel, or would that feel to risky or difficult at this point? Sometimes, addressing the issue head-on can help but I totally understand if you're not ready for that yet. I'm here to listen to whatever you need to share, and I really hope you can find a way to feel heard and valued by those around you.💗

User Profile: SabrWithin
SabrWithin March 8th, 2025

Welcome to Asian family members club! Here we do anything and everything to make your life miserable in most amazing ways. Since you subscribed for the same, we will be delivering you fresh content every day. :)

User Profile: YourFriendRichard
YourFriendRichard March 8th, 2025

Some people are just mean like that unfortunately. My family used to do that for a very long time, and according to them they were "just joking around". Sometimes people don't realise the damage words can cause... Don't listen to them too much. Anyone acting like that doesn't deserve  your attention.

User Profile: luminoustherapyspace
luminoustherapyspace March 8th, 2025

They pretend!!!! Tough times will show you their true colors. Let them know how you feel & set boundaries!

User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 March 9th, 2025

@helloRaspberries2172 I am sorry they didn't this to you, a reflection on their character and not on yours. For some strange reason family members say the most hurtful things, rude above it and you keep being you, don't let their insecurities and rudeness bring you down 😊

User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 March 9th, 2025

@Amanda84 sorry rise above it.

load more
User Profile: HiddenSwan25
HiddenSwan25 March 9th, 2025

@helloRaspberries2172

Raspberries, I am so sorry you are going through this, it must be devastating. I know because I was the family scapegoat during my growing up years and it intensified during my teens. I can imagine your grief when you "catch" a family member doing this. Sending hugs. You are not at all what they want you or others to believe, they are projecting their own insecurities and perceived failures onto others. They probably do it to many, but you are feeling the brunt of it. You are worthy. You are strong. You are you! 🫂

smallswanemoji_1741483558.png

User Profile: ListenerAndSupporter
ListenerAndSupporter April 15th, 2025

@helloRaspberries2172 Hi! I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through such a tough time with your family members. It sounds like some family members are making fun of you behind your back and then again to your face. That sounds really difficult to have to deal with, especially when this happens in front of everyone else. It is not fair to be the target that everyone picks on at every opportunity they get. I hope you are okay! Thank you for sharing this. You are so strong for going through this and remember to be kind to yourself.

User Profile: Cyntia241
Cyntia241 October 2nd, 2025

@helloRaspberries2172

They pretend a lot. And sometimes they act like they love you when they don’t. Jealousy and envy comes in different forms  and it doesn’t just happen between friends. It happens between family members as well. But nobody’s definition of you truly defines who you are…