Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I'm gonna adopt my little cousin

User Profile: AmeliaAnne13
AmeliaAnne13 September 16th, 2025

Emilia is 6. She's a gifted American child. Her parents, my cousins, travel a lot for work. They are barely home. Earlier this year they asked me if she could live with me in Innsbruck, Austria. My parents live in Brazil, and I was raised by my grandmother here.

They gave up custody and told me I could adopt her if I wanted. They don't give enough attention to the kiddo and don't even care about her high abilities. I'm 25, I'm a teacher and I know how to handle kids, all kinds of kids. But it's still nervewrecking. She's coming next week, her room is almost settled and she asked me today via Zoom if I was gonna be her mother. I didn't know what to say, bc she already has one. And doesn't. How can a mother abandon her child like that? They have conditions. But somehow they think I'm the right fit for her, and I truly hope they are doing that for her sake, not for theirs.

I'm uncertain about lots of things. What about language? Food? Hobbies? School? How is everything gonna go? I hate uncertainty. I hope the little one likes me and adjusts well. I trutly immensaly hope that.

17
User Profile: KoalaC
KoalaC September 16th, 2025

Be patient, it might not be easy at the beginning but she will adapt to her new life.

User Profile: impartialOrange4718
impartialOrange4718 September 16th, 2025

@AmeliaAnne13  I think you are amazing for stepping up and adopting your gifted little one. I can hear the love and compassion you have for her through the screen. And I want you to know, you got this! I know there’s so many other things and factors that come with being a parent and caregiver, Emilia is blessed to have someone like you in her corner.

User Profile: Anyialoveslions
Anyialoveslions September 17th, 2025

She’s gonna love you, you’re awesome and thank you for taking care of her don’t worry everything’s gonna go awesome dude :)

User Profile: moonlightinnight
moonlightinnight September 17th, 2025

@AmeliaAnne13

You're so kind💗💗 I feel sorry for her but also glad she has you❤️ You'll be amazing💖🫂🫂🫂