I'm gonna adopt my little cousin
Emilia is 6. She's a gifted American child. Her parents, my cousins, travel a lot for work. They are barely home. Earlier this year they asked me if she could live with me in Innsbruck, Austria. My parents live in Brazil, and I was raised by my grandmother here.
They gave up custody and told me I could adopt her if I wanted. They don't give enough attention to the kiddo and don't even care about her high abilities. I'm 25, I'm a teacher and I know how to handle kids, all kinds of kids. But it's still nervewrecking. She's coming next week, her room is almost settled and she asked me today via Zoom if I was gonna be her mother. I didn't know what to say, bc she already has one. And doesn't. How can a mother abandon her child like that? They have conditions. But somehow they think I'm the right fit for her, and I truly hope they are doing that for her sake, not for theirs.
I'm uncertain about lots of things. What about language? Food? Hobbies? School? How is everything gonna go? I hate uncertainty. I hope the little one likes me and adjusts well. I trutly immensaly hope that.
@AmeliaAnne13
Wow.
She's so lucky to have you.
Someone who cares.
Parenting is not about having all the answers , it's about showing up and doing your best and I've no doubt you'll do this in abundance and you'll learn as you go what works best for you both!
Wishing you the best with everything!
💜💕
Ditto what Amanda said <3
You’re doing something amazing, congratulations! She’s very lucky to have you
I hope everything works out for both of you,
@AmeliaAnne13 you will be a great mother!
I am very sorry to hear about Emily's situation.
I think, if you are contemplating this much about that child, then you will figure out these things eventually.
I think parenting is a two way street, ie. You grow with that child too. You will also learn new things. I think you will just manage fine. Just never let your emotions out in front of the child. And give her enough attention too.
And one last thing, in future, if you ever had your own kids, don't neglect her then.
Stay strong and blessed.
@AmeliaAnne13 You are truly a wonderful person. From what you have wrote i think you are the best person for Emila and she is lucky to have you. You are very caring and that's exactly what she needs.
I'm sure you will be able to figure things out together. Maybe not all at once but with love everything will be fine. No one goes into parenting knowing everything or having everything figured out. You will learn and grow together into what's best for you.
@AmeliaAnne13
Parenthood isn't just about being tied by a genetic bond. Its about love and responsibility. I too have always wanted to adopt and intend to embark on this journey in the time to come.
I am so glad to run into like minded people on this front. You sound like such a lovely soul having prepared things for the little one. She is eager to come to you too, it seems. I hope you both will find comfort and growth on your journey forward.
For me, its also unimaginable how a parent can abandon their children.
I too think about what kind of a parent I will be. It will be silly to think I wont make mistakes. I am human and I will face stress on the road. Im not feeding myself any wishful ideas. But I also know I will rise from my problem because its a moral calling. I will do my best to figure out what it is to be done. Its where the comfort of my soul lies. Its not a burden, its an opportunity to cherish. I feel the same for you. You will make a brilliant mother.
In case of adopted children, I feel they may bring in more challenges than biological children, in some ways. They may be facing trauma / scars from birth that I may not be aware of and will have to understand them on the journey. A child feels a sort of a trauma on being separated from the biological mother on being born .... its difficult to take the biological connection out of the picture. So, for such a child to embrace another human being, who didnt carry them in her womb, is about greater adjustment. Initially it's always about basic needs being met, but in the course of time, deeper love bonds are formed.
I hope Emilia finds that connection with you. And you could be her friend and mother both.
keep me posted on your journey ahead ❤️
@AmeliaAnne13 youre so kind- so very, very kind. What youre for doing for the little one, it's hard, it's scary, but you mean so well that im sure she'll love you. The situation with her parents, it's complicated, but she has you. Even if that doesnt seem enough to you, it could mean the world for her. I hope you two live a good life. Youre going to do great, because you mean to 🤍
@AmeliaAnne13
Hello Amelia ☺️what a kind heart you have🥺, don't worry everything will be alright, since she's a gifted child this might be a big challenge, but you're the best person to understand her needs and help her grow you are now at an important stage in her life ,all you need is love patience and time she's lucky to have you in her life, I feel like you she'll love you for sure for your kind heart 🥺😇🌷you're already her mother because motherhood isn't just a blood relationship but it's all the sacrifices and love you offer her, you're now responsible for her and you'll give her all the attention and affection, she deserves don't worry about the small details love is the only language she'll understand and adapt to just be with her every step of the way and be her support and backing she'll get used to the new place school and food with time and the love you give her for sure I wish you both all the best in your journey together and I hope your lives are filled with love and joy 🌷😇
Thank you so much! Thank you all for all the kind words ❤️
@AmeliaAnne13
My pleasure ☺️ 🌷🌷
Happy to hear that
@AmeliaAnne13 hey I think what you are doing is amazing, I wish you luck with your motherhood journey 💕💕💕💕💕💕💕