Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Parents who are only good at punishing me

Hello, so... I'm not feeling very well right now. I'm 17, almost 18. My parents think they can punish me for breaking stupid rules they made up just to take away my breath, by taking money from my allowance. I don't know what to do. I wish I had a manual to help me survive all this as best as possible. I thought things could get better, but I was wrong. Is this just me?

16
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 May 8th

@littlePeach9790

I don't think it's just you 

Parents set rules so we have boundaries.

It's not nice or easy at times but it's because they care, even though it might not feel like it 🩷

i-love-you-love-you.gif

User Profile: littlePeach9790
littlePeach9790 OP May 8th

Yes, but rules can be very useful, but they shouldn't be taken like the traffic regulations, which say if I make a direct mistake, I have less money to spend each week. I've become anxious and feel short of breath every week.

load more
User Profile: Ares512
Ares512 May 8th

@littlePeach9790

Hello, 

I'm sorry you are going through a difficult time right now, and I can see how frustrating and stressful this situation is making you feel.  Sometimes it helps to talk through the situation with someone instead of holding everything in alone. If you'd like someone to listen, you're welcome to message me. 

User Profile: littlePeach9790
littlePeach9790 OP May 8th

Hello ares, thank you for your availability. In fact, I'm here for this. How can I write to you? There's no button..

@littlePeach9790

The reason why u can not pm her is that this  is only a 18 and over listener and u are a teen.

 Only  18+ listeners can pm teen is adult teen listener.   Hope you have someone that can help you.

the only way that  u ans this listener can communicate right now is though the forums.


load more
load more

Hello dear

Hello dear

I am sorry to hear about your struggle but you're not alone. So many of us go through the same challenges. I have a very troublesome relationship with my mother as well and perhaps that's why I can somewhat relate to your challenges. Like you, I wish for a manual, a guide every day but in the end I end up being a guide to myself. I think that's empowering. I am sure you'll learn from these unwanted situations and become better.

Feel free to reach out if you wish you talk more about this. Take care of yourself.

@tranquilEnergy77

I understand you want ot help but you have to  be an adult teen listener to pm. Teens.

the only way you and this member can communicate right now is though the forums

load more
User Profile: littlePeach9790
littlePeach9790 OP May 9th

Thank you all for your support. I really appreciate it ❤️

@littlePeach9790  

i know it really hurts but dont worry we listeners are here to make you feel comfort, dont worry you will be fine soon. you can be light here

@littlePeach9790

hi may i help you, please reach me and i would be your comfort zone.


Hi buddy, parent here.

I hope you don't mind if I take this opportunity to share my parenting experience with you: I am nothing more than a child, who, at some point in my life, had my whole existence turned upside down by the arrival of a baby. It has been and will always will be the hardest thing I've ever done. For the most part, I have no clue what I'm doing and am simply trying not to impede my daughters' growth and development too much by having too many (silly) ideas about who they should be and what they should do.

Most of the time, I'm doing a very poor job of that and take myself waaay to seriously, mostly because I'm afraid something bad will happen to them if I don't.

My suspicion is most other parents are in the same postion, with more or less wilingness to accept this reality: they're clueless, overwhelmed and completely lost, and they have no idea how to really connect with their children most of the time. Don't blame them too much for it.

I can imagine this doesn't help you very much though. Sorry for that... 

User Profile: littlePeach9790
littlePeach9790 OP May 9th

Hello.. thanks for your opinion. I need to talk to my mother, but she just treats me like a child. It doesn't make me feel good. I hope she can be a bad example for all parents. I'd like to run away...

load more

No