Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Any advice on dealing with negative social emotions like shame, humiliation, and more?

User Profile: adaptableYard5587
adaptableYard5587 August 31st, 2025

I have lately realized lot of my complex and heavy thoughts are fuelled by these negative social emotions, and so i am looking for ways to deal with them directly,

Few things i have found :

  1. Laughing (not smiling, laughing)

  2. Tapping meditation

  3. Affirmations.

If we treat at least these two emotions as same as getting hurt, then i guess it becomes simpler but im not sure if its right to look it that way.

6
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 September 2nd, 2025

@adaptableYard5587

Shame, humiliation are tough emotions to deal with!

They are ultimately personal to everyone and often societal expectations or pressures out on ourselves!

What works for me is space and time to process.

Grounding myself, reminding myself that I am human, not perfect, we all .she mistakes and allowing myself that grace!

And not giving energy to other people's opinions on something they haven't experienced!

💕💜

User Profile: Creamyyy
Creamyyy September 2nd, 2025

Take action if someone is humiliating you.

I suffered silently for many years and there were people telling me to stand up for yourself... but I was choosing to withdraw to keep my peace... thats an okay approach... but recently im replying back.... not being rude... but simply putting in my point with some eye rolls... its making me happier that I'm letting certain people know how I feel about them....

@adaptableYard5587

User Profile: Aaryank6
Aaryank6 September 2nd, 2025

I need too

User Profile: AdemHope
AdemHope September 2nd, 2025

@adaptableYard5587

Indeed, dealing with negative emotions like shame and embarrassment requires awareness and practice. I really liked the idea of treating them as an injury that can be eased, and I see laughing, meditation, and positive affirmations as excellent tools to cope with them. Thank you for sharing your experience.

User Profile: Zaxoosh
Zaxoosh September 2nd, 2025

Hi adaptableYard5587,

Thank you for sharing such a thoughtful post — it’s powerful that you’re examining these emotions so directly. Shame and humiliation can be incredibly heavy, often lingering beneath the surface and shaping our thoughts in subtle but profound ways. The fact that you’re even naming them and looking for ways to address them says a lot about your self-awareness and inner strength.

I really liked the tools you mentioned — especially how you distinguished between laughing versus just smiling. That kind of genuine release can shift so much internal tension. And tapping and affirmations are great ways to reconnect with the body and gently challenge those harsh inner narratives.

I think you’re onto something with the idea of treating these emotions like physical injuries. When we get physically hurt, we don’t (usually) blame ourselves — we treat the wound, give it time, and try not to poke at it too much. It makes sense to try approaching emotional wounds with that same kind of compassion and care. They’re no less real or valid just because they’re invisible.

You're not alone in wrestling with this stuff — and the fact that you're not looking to avoid these feelings, but instead face them, speaks volumes.

Curious — have any of those techniques (like tapping or laughter) felt noticeably effective for you in the moment? I’d love to hear more about what’s worked for you.

1 reply
User Profile: adaptableYard5587
adaptableYard5587 OP September 6th, 2025

Thank you for your insightful and encouraging comments. Yes these things have helped but i think primarily shifting the focus from right/wrong to just helping myself, that kind of perspective change is key i think when dealing with these social emotions. Because these emotions largely get tangled with morality, e x seeking revenge/justice when wronged, or feeling inadequacy when your actions feel incompetent.

load more