Has anyone been to mental hospital/ psychiatric ward?
I just came out from one. I was there for four days, staff was supportive and kind. Food was great. I felt safe and supported.
I ended up going to a mental clinic in the hospital, after seeing a serious disaster in my country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seoul_Halloween_crowd_crush
It was a serious tragedy, and since I was working in the broadcasting company, I ended up seeing dead bodies in the uncensored version. It was so shocking, that I ended up going to a mental clinic in the hospital.
Keep staying positive! I’m glad you had a safe environment 💜💜💜
@Slayer22
I was placed in one after I ended up in the hospital from an attempt on my life but lied my way out in 24 hours . I was placed in a room where I was tied to a bed and there was dried blood on the walls of the room. Someone watched me from a small glass room the entire time. It was horrible.
Well done on being well enough to move on.It is such a strange experience to have for anyone and it can be quite scary at times.I spent six months on a ward for "inorganic psychosis" which luckily completely past.It was four years ago now and I look back on it as a unique experience but also it's paved the way for where I am now so I can be find of it for that.I hope for you to you will be able to look back and appreciate that it had its purpose for you.Keep working on yourself progress not perfection, and well done for what you've achieved and learned about yourself so far! We are all here for you and all behind you.
I just got back yesterday, I felt the same way about it! I'm so glad you had a good experience, I hope you're doing well!
@Slayer22
Glad you found your time in, to be beneficial.
I am in Florida, and I was Baker Acted on three different occasions, twice this past January.
I found that the psychologist docs at the two different hospitals I went to, did actually care about patients, the hospital staff though at one hospital I went to, did not so much, they acted as if everyone was inconveniencing them with whatever computer work they had to do, and really were only there to hit an alarm button in case anyone acted out, and let us know when it was time to eat and sleep and get up in the AM, and take meds.
I found that in both hospitals I went to, the intake staff was just not interested in really trying to help, it was all, be quiet, answer our questions, and wait for the doctor and not come up to the desk to ask questions.
though I found the second hospital I went to, after intake, and once I got a room, the staff was more in the mindset of actually being kind to patients. Though a first for me the female psychologist I was talking to, suggested I try *** to meet women. That was a giant WTF for me. That was a legit first.
The first time I was Baker Acted, after being there for a week, I realized if I wanted to leave I was going to have to act like I was calm. That was what I did, and was released, when in reality I honestly needed another week because I was not okay.
Last January was a mess, I was recovering from my breakdown and getting back on meds, but when I got home, I didn't have the meds on hand that I needed, and I slipped back into insomnia, and everything repeated, until my release where I made sure I had the meds, a notebook for noting when I took my meds and backed it all up with an alarm to go off when I needed my meds.
Things are safe for me now. Safe ish. Everything I went through in January 2023 was because of not being on meds, or sleep deprivation for days on end. The first breakdown I had I think in 2021 was because my genius brother talked me into the benefits of Marijuana, and I went and got a medical marijuana card, I was using a high grade of liquid THC, I was okay at first, then things slipped, and I lost track of time, stopped sleeping, was fasting, and things just got worse. That was the time I spent a full week in. and I needed 2 weeks. I actually re-admitted myself so scratch the three, it was 4 times.
What I learned for me, is I have to be on my medication, I can't play around with Marijuana or any other non-prescribed drugs, and I never ever want to have another mental breakdown in my life ever, me losing it, hurt me and scared my family and few friends I have an online and real life. I lost one internet friend of 3 years because she didn't understand what I was going through and couldn't handle my chaos, plus she was more of an emotional vampire so whatever to her.
I also learned I need to be on disability, so I am in the very long process of going through that, and it is humiliating because it is my second time and the humiliation comes from having to go to a hearing. An being judged.
What is sad is, my mental health for whatever reason went on a major decline I would say right around 2016, and only has continued. My medication keeps me level in that, I can now sleep without intrusive or ruminating thoughts at night, and I sleep every night now all night.
My time in the psych ward was more relief for my family, and it taught me a very hard lesson.
@Slayer22
So, I was taken to one, and they asked me, while they were still checking me in, if I wanted to stay there or go to another one with a bed open. I said that I didn't know, and they said "Basically, you're getting a steak, and you don't have a choice in that. You can get a steak at a steakhouse or you can get one at Denny's." I didn't choose Denny's, so I didn't stay, which it turns out was a really good thing....
I had to spend just one night at that first one... It was freezing cold in the room and there was someone with almost all the blankets in the corner, and they kind of threatened me when I was trying to ask for one. The one I was left with looked like someone had uh... Wiped themselves with it... So I didn't let that side touch me. The floor was absolutely covered in pieces of unfinished food, inviting all kinds of pests. A lady was pacing up and down, constantly screaming at them to let her out. The sandwich they gave me had stale grainy bread, probably half a piece of ham, and one mustard packet. I can't describe how bad the juice was, or at least not in a 7cups appropriate way. I only had to use the bathroom once, and it's a good thing I only had to pee. The floor was flooded in gross water, the toilet paper rolls were soaked, and the seat wasn't exactly award-winning either.
Once I left to go to the other place, the staff was very kind and meant well. I hated everything about being cooped up, and attending all the activities just to keep myself busy started getting boring too. But I did meet a friend there, and I dated her for a bit at one point. And the food? I wouldn't have ever thought it would be good in a place like that, but honestly, it was consistently some of the best cooking I've ever eaten.
@Slayer22 I was at one for 6 and a half days. The food sucked but the people were ok.
@Slayer22 I haven’t been to one but I probably did need it with how awful I felt for like 3 to 6 months with my panic disorder. Im glad they helped you!
Yes! I absolutely hated it in my opinion then again I don’t think I had proper experience. All I can say don’t go to Southwood in PA, it’s a complete mess there, my experience felt god awful. If I didn’t finish my food I was written up, I got upset/angry you’d get written up, you could get yelled at for sleeping in longer than wanted, favoritism was real, and patients aren’t getting the proper help they need. I had to fake it to make it out of there