Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

is it better for your mental-health to think about your feelings or not?

User Profile: redKite5600
redKite5600 November 2nd, 2022

hello, I really need to hear some people's points of view.

is it better for your mental-health to think about your feelings or not?

this simple question I keep turning over and over in my head, it feels like an impossible paradox. On the one hand I notice I feel so much better when I don't think about my painful feelings and you could argue that means ''I'm getting over them'' right? But on the other hand I'm afraid I'm just suppressing instead of processing them and this way they will just keep following me.

everything I've learned about this in my life is so contradicting. I know the brain is made out of neural-pathways, the more a pathway is used the stronger it grows. By this logic ruminating on my feelings would just reinforce those thought patterns and give those thoughts more dominance in my brain, and likewise ignoring my feelings would then make me forget about them.

I totally believe you can train your mindset to be more positive, just by not dwelling in your negative emotions. likewise you can also make yourself miserable by not letting go of these emotions.

however, it is generally believed you shouldn't repress emotions and that the best way to process them is to express them. But how do I know this is true? I never really talk about any negative feelings I have, but the times I kind-of did actually made me feel worse. (despite people reacting kindly).

from experience I just know I feel better when I only focus on the positive, but I'm just afraid if I ignore my painful feelings that they'll haunt me. so, how do I improve my mental-health? Doing what makes me happy or ruminating my stupid feelings, which btw feels like willingly trowing myself in an endless downwards spiral.

thanks for listening to me complaining.

1
User Profile: Optimisticempath
Optimisticempath November 6th, 2022

@redKite5600 I relate so much, it's a constant struggle fr

may I ask how do you really feel when you share or talk about your negative feelings usually? (you said bad, but could you try being more specific it may help you to see how you feel and what might trigger those feelings)

I've heard that part of the problem is that we label feelings as positive or negative or good and bad, so inherently we are aversed to the negative and bad things and that makes acknowledging these feelings ever harder

I struggle with the same so I've tried finding a middle ground, having a let out for my feelings and thoughts and not really talking to someone, by having a journal... my diary doesn't make me feel like a burden on anyone and let's me share whatever I need to 😅

what do you think about journaling?

I'll say that it still is the braver option to talk to people, I wish I could too ... I try tho in 7 cups atleast , the anonymity helps here

hope you do not feel alone with your feelings and can have a space for them 💕