Weekly Prompt #15: How has your culture or upbringing influenced your approach to emotion regulation?
Hello everyone, I hope everyone is having a good week.
In the last week, we discussed How can we build resilience and develop a more positive outlook on life, even in the face of challenging circumstances? If you haven't checked yet, please click here to add your thoughts.
This week's prompt is: How has your culture or upbringing influenced your approach to emotion regulation? Do you feel comfortable expressing your emotions in your cultural context?
Culture plays a crucial role in how we understand and regulate our emotions. As human beings, we experience a vast range of emotions. Happiness, sadness, anger, anxiety, and love are just a few of the many emotions that we encounter in our daily lives. How we regulate these emotions can have a significant impact on our mental and physical well-being. While there are cultural differences in how emotions are expressed and managed, it is important to find a balance that works for us individually. Please remember, it is okay to feel and express our emotions, and seeking support when we need it is a sign of strength.
Join us in the 24/7 General Support Group Chat to share and support each other.

@ASilentObserver
My culture 1000% hurt the way people show their emotions/how they see themselves.
@ASilentObserver Growing up, I never thought about my culture affecting my emotional regulation. However, after a work review, I was told that I have no personality and that I should try to find a different profession. That hurt. When I went to find help, someone said that it is normal for people of Asian descent to not show their emotions/feelings openly. I am not sure if this is the truth as I have barely spent time with anyone of a similar heritage growing up. I believe that my reticence in showing my emotions to others is my coping mechanism to stress and depression. I hate to show to others that they hurt me so I keep it inside. The depression builds because I have no outlet for my feelings and emotions.
@NotAllHere713 It sounds like dealing with that comment from your work review has been very hurtful. Feelings like that are completely understandable. What has helped you process difficult emotions in the past? Please know you're not alone in navigating these challenging feelings. We are all here with you.