Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mental health affecting my job. Do I quit?

User Profile: Kjump33
Kjump33 September 1st, 2021

This year has been really rough and has significantly impacted my mental health which in turn is causing me to make a lot of mistakes at my job. Right now I'm at risk of being fired. Do I ask to go part time before? (they do know about my mental health issues and everything that's gone on this year they just don't really care) I know it's better to quit than be fired but I don't have another job lined up yet. Should I wait or put in my 2 week?

1
User Profile: QuietMagic
QuietMagic September 2nd, 2021

@Kjump33

Hi--so if I'm understanding, you've been experiencing some mental health issues due to things that have happened this year, which has been causing you to make more mistakes than usual at your job. Because of this, you think there's a decent chance that you might be fired. Your employer is aware of your circumstances, but they aren't really being very helpful or understanding. So, you're wondering whether to try to ask to work part-time, quit preemptively, or just wait and see what happens.

I'm not really qualified to say what you should or shouldn't do. 😊 But here are a couple resources I was able to find that present some of the general arguments for both sides of the issue (either quitting early or waiting to be fired). You could maybe read through what they say and see if afterwards you find yourself leaning more toward one side.
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/should-you-quit-before-you-get-fired-2060744
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/should-i-quit-my-job-before-i-get-fired/

If you'd like to talk through the issue with someone, HERE is a list of experienced listeners who accept chats on work stress. Alternatively, you're welcome to use this forum space to brainstorm or just share thoughts/feelings/ideas.