Movies that Deal With Mental Health
Theres no shortage of movies and TV shows to pick from that talk about topics concerning mental health. Some have honest and accurate portrayals, while others may be inaccurate and even stigmatizing.
What are some of your favorite movies or shows that deal with topics related to mental health? Or which ones do you think do a bad job at representing mental illness?
Some of our favorites:
- Silver Linings Playbook
- Inside Out
- A Beautiful Mind
Thoughts?
"Skeleton Twins" starring Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader is a dark comedy that shines a light on depression and suicide. I loved it, but I would be mindful before watching it because it might be triggering for some.
Speaking of Kristen Wiig (is it obvious that I'm a huge SNL fan?), she starred in a movie called "Welcome to Me" where she had borderline personality disorder. I haven't seen it so I don't know how accurate of a depiction it was, but that's just another one that comes to mind.
Also, "I Smile Back" starring Sarah Silverman. She plays a woman who, from the outside, seems to be living a completely normal suburban life with her husband and young children, but she's actually struggling day-to-day with mental illness/substance abuse. it's a very honest and raw depiction of dual diagnosis.
@lovelyllama13 Silverlining's playbook is one of my favorite movies! I thought it was so inspiring. I've also seen a Beautiful mind.
Ive always been interested in the creative genius and mental illness intersection. Thats why I really liked the Soloist, Beautiful Mind and Touched By Fire.
@starryCaramel75 I enjoyed watching The Soloist as well
@lovelyllama13
I already posted on this thread yesterday, but I saw a new Netflix trailer that was just released today that you all might be interested in (I know I am)!
It's called Atypical and focuses on a teenage boy who is on the Autism Spectrum and how he goes about his daily life. It comes out in August, so I don't know if it's good or not, but I found it interesting and will definitely be watching when it releases.
We Need To Talk About Kevin.
Movie about a woman with a sociopathic son and how she deals with his animosity towards her and other humans.
Even though they don't specify what his mental health condition is, I also really like Donnie Darko.
A lot of people don't realise that even though it talks about a kid being a wallflower and being an introvert and very shy The Perks of Being A Wallflower does cover some aspects of Mental Health because the kid didn't realise that he was depressed and it all steamed from him being sexually abused by a family member when he was younger, he only came to realise this had been happening when his parents told him after he was commited to a mental hospital after he tried to commit suicide because he couldn't deal with his bad thoughts any more, his bad thoughts came from guilt of that abuser's death which he again he didn't realise was his abuser until he ended up in the mental hospital a lot of people feel with mental health issues don't realise they have mental health problems UNTIL they have a psychotic break (not sure if I worded this right). What the main character was experiencing was not only depression but also Stockholm Syndrome because he was protecting his abuser when he is the victim.
Shutter Island is perhaps one of my favourite films of all time, (also I just love anything with Leonardo DiCaprio in it anyway).
my cousin had to do a term paper on A Beautiful Mind, my mum rented the film for her when she was in HS.
Rain Main was another great film really loved it.
Inside Out the reason why I loved this so much and why it was so important that Disney made this is because it depicted depression in a way for kids that they can better understand it like idk how do I put it, by making it into a cartoon they made it easier for kids to better understand their emotions and know that the way they feel isn't wrong and that it's OK to feel those emotions that were shown in this animated film, it was also beneficial to parents too because a LOT of times parents or people in general are unaware that their family members or kids are depressed.
@astray I feel like Inside Out is one of the best films about mental health out there.
@Subaru13 ... And 'geared toward' kids or families at least. I hope "Inside Out" may be a tool for parents and teachers to help kids understand what emotions are and that they are not good or bad - they just are, and that emotions change - sometimes a lot! It is a movie with the potential for a great learning or lessons to talk about. ~ Platy
@Subaru13 I agree, my sister and I cried when we watched it hehe
It's Kind Of A Funny Story I have this novel must have read it so much that the pages have changed colours and I've seen the film a few times too, although I had to get used to the film when first seeing it because it is completely different from the book which is understandable it wouldn't be worth really watching if it was just like the book because you'd already know what's going to happen. I actually enjoyed it, most people don't know that the main character is supposed to be based off the author Ned Vizzini's actual life and how his parents came about finding out that he had depression and how he almost took his own life but instead decided to seek help before doing so. I am actually pretty sad that the author took his own life in 2013 I have almost all of his books, he was perhaps one of my favourite authors and gave me hope that things do get better, when he took his life in 2013 of December I felt like my last bit of hope had died with him and that things really don't get better, still I read this book and find myself watching this film whenever I feel this way because for some reason I still hold onto that bit of hope that things will get better for me even if he didn't feel that way.
@astray my favorite thing about Craig in the book is how easily he finds beauty in every person he meets. He forms an appreciation for each of the other patients even though they're considered outcasts for their eccentricities. That's definitely something I turn to for strength. The world has many wonderful people, you just have to know how to see them.
I haven't watched a lot of these movies, but will definitely make an effort to do so now
I think a couple people already mentioned it, but A Beautiful Mind is really interesting. Definitely covers mental health, and really portrays the pain it can inflict.