Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Movies that Deal With Mental Health

User Profile: Kate
Kate July 19th, 2017

Theres no shortage of movies and TV shows to pick from that talk about topics concerning mental health. Some have honest and accurate portrayals, while others may be inaccurate and even stigmatizing.

What are some of your favorite movies or shows that deal with topics related to mental health? Or which ones do you think do a bad job at representing mental illness?

Some of our favorites:

- Silver Linings Playbook

- Inside Out

- A Beautiful Mind

Thoughts?

55
User Profile: astray
astray July 23rd, 2017

I have a few more I wanted to share that I have watched that talks about mental health

I Am Sam

The Silence of the Lambs

Fatal Attraction

Misery

Little Miss Sunshine

American Beauty

American Pyscho

The Aviator

Fight Club

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

The King's Speech

Radio

Lila and Eve

Sybil

Sidenote: Two of these films Leonardo DiCaprio has played in so this isn't the first time he's portrayed someone who's had mental health problems. All of the above films are very good I especially love to see Sean Pean and Dakota Fanning in I Am Sam as father and daughter what a performance and it really shows you what a lot of people who are mentally-challenged go through, this film as well as a lot of the other films on this list makes me cry every time. I also loved Jennifer Lopez and Viola Davis's performance in Lila and Eve.

1 reply
User Profile: Kate
Kate OP July 23rd, 2017

@astray Oooh good ones!!

load more
User Profile: Kate
Kate OP July 24th, 2017

Has anyone watched To The Bone on Netflix yet? Thoughts on the accuracy of how it portrayed eating disorders? Did anyone find it triggering or need any extra support after watching it?

2 replies
User Profile: HungryAlpaca
HungryAlpaca July 30th, 2017

@lovelyllama13 I found it to be a really hard watch. I won't say too much here, but in general the issue is that it depicts a group of characters with very, very severe illnesses to the point where I don't think you need to have any experience with an eating disorder to be really upset by it. My other concern with depicting eating disorders at a point that severe is that too many people with eating disorders already feel as though they have to be "sick enough" before they can ask for help, and I don't want people to come away from the movie believing that they have to be that severely ill in order for their experience to matter, or in order for them to make significant steps in recovery. I have many feelings about it but as far as this forum is concerned, I would really advise any who wants to watch it to really do your research and make sure you're ready to watch before you do. It might also help to not watch it alone.

User Profile: MissCarla
MissCarla July 30th, 2017

@lovelyllama13 I found it to be informative and helpful, as someone with an eating disorder it didn't trigger me but I can't speak for other people. I found it tasteful and well done and completely non glorifying or shaming.

load more
User Profile: Loveispain86
Loveispain86 July 25th, 2017

Another good one is called Frankie & Alice.. starring Halle Berry. She has multiple personalities.

User Profile: piercetheaiden
piercetheaiden July 25th, 2017

@lovelyllama13

My favorite is The Perks of Being a Wallflower

2 replies
User Profile: Kate
Kate OP July 25th, 2017

@piercethemandyy I loved the book and the movie.

1 reply
User Profile: astray
astray July 26th, 2017

@lovelyllama13 loved the movie because I don't believe the book ever actually stated that Charlie went to a mental hospital but the movie did. I think him being committed there actually helped him a lot because he was able to get help and he was able to cope with not only his depression but with being sexually abused as a kid which is something he was never told until he got older.

load more
load more
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 July 25th, 2017

Ooh how I love movies about mental health laughDefinitely my favorite of all time -> Good Will Hunting (and has a mental health focus too)

User Profile: HungryAlpaca
HungryAlpaca July 30th, 2017

I watched "To the Bone" last night and I have so many feelings about it. If anyone else has seen it and wants to chat about it please shoot me a message.

3 replies
User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 July 30th, 2017

@HungryAlpaca ...

Hi Alpaca (I found another animal :) ) ... I read a review of "To The Bone" yesterday (and watched the accompanying video) - written by a therapist in the USA, who works with people dealing with eating disorders. I really value her opinion.

I do not have Netflix so I probably could not have watched it anyway, but I am very glad to know what she thinks of it and take that into consideration before I do watch it (if/when I'd find access to it). It seems for me it would be good to wait awhile to watch this movie anyway; but the therapist did say she appreciated how the director, actresses/actors, everyone - portrayed the illnesses in a real life manner.

~Platy

2 replies
User Profile: HungryAlpaca
HungryAlpaca July 30th, 2017

@cyanPlatypus6370 It's definitely a hard watch. Although I haven't personally had to deal with an eating disorder there was a lot about it that hit very close to home, which I wasn't totally prepared for.

1 reply
User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 July 30th, 2017

@HungryAlpaca ... Yeah I get you there too. Sometimes (often at the theater!) I feel like, "But you didn't tell me this subject/topic is in this movie!" In cases like that, 'close to home' can be really hard. It does help to have someone to talk with after viewing the movie. ((hugs)) and talk soon, Platy

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: MissCarla
MissCarla July 30th, 2017

I watched a movie called "Split" a few days ago that deals with multiple personality disorder but the issue I found was that the entire plot was that the guy suffering was "the bad guy". They did however have some scenes that made you really feel for the character to the point I cried afterwards. So it's a good one to watch if you don't mind soft horror.

5 replies
User Profile: astray
astray July 30th, 2017

@MissCarla loved that film with James McAvoy

4 replies
User Profile: MissCarla
MissCarla July 30th, 2017

@astray that's the one, I found it really interesting actually!

3 replies
User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 July 31st, 2017

@MissCarla .... Thank you for your mini review! What do you consider to be 'soft horror??' I had this movie "Split" in my possession after finally getting to the top of the list to borrow it from the library - brought it home but ultimately decided not to watch it. I didn't know it was of the genre Horror :( Could you explain a bit more? ~ Platy

2 replies
User Profile: MissCarla
MissCarla July 31st, 2017

@cyanPlatypus6370 there is tension, quite a lot so that makes you feel uncomfortable. There are scenes of people being held captive, murder and a bit of gore. I wouldn't say it was scary though, maybe one or two "jumpy" bits.

1 reply
User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 August 1st, 2017

@MissCarla ... Good to know! Also would you recommend watching with a friend? or parents? or "just" (not just, baby) my dog and me?

I really don't know much about DID or how well or poorly it is portrayed here ... but within my 'not knowing' there's a lot of fear (honestly). So thanks for your further explanation. I hope it will help. indecision (Indecision? Umm, yes!!!) ~ Platy

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more