5 Ways To Reconnect With Your Intuition After Trauma
Has trauma made you distrustful of your intuition? Have challenges from the past caused you to experience symptoms of hypervigilance in the present? I present to you:

Peace and light my beloved Cupsters! Thank you for your interest in yet another "Mental/ Emotional" Health & Well-being topic from the desk of La Siren 🪔🫖
After experiencing anything horrific, it can be quite challenging to trust your intuition. We end up having no faith in ourselves at all. We believe we are to blame for what transpired to us. Often a symptom of PTSD, these sorts of thoughts lead to something called hypervigilance.
Hypervigilance, and its effect on our intuition 🔎
Extreme alertness, or hypervigilance, is a frequent symptom of PTSD. When you are hyper-vigilant, you continually scan your surroundings for potential hazards and frequently take action in response to threats that may not exist. When you are in this state of high alert, even tiny discomforts that aren't true threats to your safety (physical, emotional, or mental) are interpreted as dangers.
• heighten your anxiety
• increase your bodily tension, soreness, or ache
• influence how you sleep
• impacting your appetite
Recognizing these symptoms are the first step to healing. Even if the mending process takes longer than you would like, be nice to yourself throughout it. It's okay to feel anything, including discouragement, frustration, anger, and sadness. There is no incorrect way to feel, but keep in mind that this is merely a passing phase.
5 Ways To Reconnect With Your Intuition After Trauma
Below, I humbly share with you 5 ways to reconnect with your intuition after trauma from Hope+Wellness "Listening to Your Intuition After Trauma":
✨️ 1. Be gentle with yourself. Although being less hypervigilant won't happen overnight, you may start to pay attention to and learn to read your body's signs so that you can once more tell the difference between fear, hypervigilance, and intuition. It takes so much strength to do what you're doing, and you deserve to be gentle with yourself. 💜

✨️ 2. Getting in tune with your intuition again: Don’t rush it! There is no time limit for healing, there is no time limit for "getting over" something. And healing slowly is always preferable than sweeping anything under the rug and ignoring or inadequately treating the damage.
✨️ 3. Change your goal. At the start, the goal won't be to distinguish between intuition and fear. Instead, start by paying attention to when those feelings arise rather than whether they are sensible or whether the threat you are feeling is "genuine" or "legitimate." It's OK to take more precautions than are "necessary"—this is something that many people find difficult to accept. Living as if you haven't gone through a trauma when you have is not your job, nor is it healthy. The goal is to learn to tune in and recognize your feelings as they arise rather than trying to suppress them.
✨️ 4. Notice what you’re feeling! When feeling triggered or responding to a perceived threat, you do not need to dismiss them. Ask yourself the following questions:
• What am I feeling?
• Where did this feeling come from?
• Was there something in my surroundings that triggered it?
• Where in my body do I feel this feeling?
✨️ 5. Get familiar with your responses. Even those who are not experiencing PTSD find it difficult to distinguish between fear and intuition. Knowing which one is speaking to you requires patience and practice. As a general rule of thumb, intuition will give you a sense of calm groundedness, whereas fear and hypervigilance will make you feel emotionally charged, urgent, and full of confusion and fear of uncertainty.
Optional Reflection Questions:
1. In your own words, how would you define intuition? Do you agree that hypervigilance negatively affects our ability to trust our own selves?
2. If it is a challenge to distinguish between your fear and intuition, are you receptive to the healing journey despite the duration?
"Always room to grow". Photo creds: Thanks to Kyle Glenn @kylejglenn for making this photo available freely on Unsplash 🎁
This post is brought to you by the Content Development & Marketing Program. Find out more information about the program here.
@SirenOfSerenity
Hello!
What a great post!
I’m sure many will find this helpful!
Intuition is the capacity to comprehend something instantly without using conscious thought.
I can definitely see how hypervigilance can affect our ability to trust ourselves!
I would say the healing journey is worthwhile and more despite the duration!
In the long-term we can only benefit<3
Thanks for the post! 💛✨
@SirenOfSerenity Awesome post - thank you for putting it together
I think intuition is a feeling - a sense of something. Oh yeah definitely. With the hypervigilance - you have a constant sense of having to be on guard and you don't know what is safe or what you can trust
I am receptive but I admit I get frustrated lately because it feels like it's taking to long and I have to constantly remind myself that there's no time limit
I'm confused by this. Is fear not a part of intuition?
I would also say the being extra alert is as well.
Connected to some trauma has been others encouraging me to ignore things that shouldn't have been. If my throat is sore for example, changes are that is something really serious and needs medical treatment, it's not just something that I should just deal with and go about a usual routine with, as has been suggested to me in the past. All of those past experiences do get thrown into the trauma of the big serious things that did happen.
This is actually really interesting and something that I didn’t even consider in terms of my trauma, yet reading through the post has made me realise how I second guess all my friendship choices
This post is brilliant, it puts the whole hypervigilance perfectly into perspective, thank you so much for sharing!
Is this about the circle of concern vs circle of influence?
Because I wonder why traumatized people are still forced to suffer and heal under extreme circumstances like noise pollution and the outright flawed stupidity of our current systems, and if 'simply focusing on what one can control' is a viable proposition or nonsense rhetoric.
@SirenOfSerenity
Hi @Dallady! Circle of concern vs circle of influence may be a personal option for people using these 5 suggestions, I personally haven't really applied it to this topic
Neither have I.
I've worked through the FTF growth path and am on the quiz, but am wondering at the fairness of it!
Because if a traumatized person is forced into experiences to heal daily in a toxic environment with that not even acknowledged by the government or otherwise then why should THEY change?
@SirenOfSerenity
@SirenOfSerenity
For me fear, I feel short-winded and my heart races it is felt throughout my body.
Intuition for me is like having a warning signal of something that is about to happen.
When I am in hypervigilance mode I am on constant guard, I feel paranoid, everything makes me jump and I am constantly watching everything around me.