FITNESS FRIDAY 10/18/19 (THE BENEFITS OF TAKING 10,000 STEPS DAILY)
HEY EVERYONE!
WELCOME TO "FITNESS FRIDAY"!..
**Today we are going to chat about the "Benefits" of taking 10,000 steps a day and what this can do for your body or Fitness goals~
**With digital pedometers everywhere—fitness trackers, cell phones, smartwatches—attaining 10,000 steps a day has become a bit of a national obsession. As silly as it may feel to find yourself pacing in your living room late at night to get those last few 100 steps, it is more than a game. A 2017 study showed that when it comes to losing weight, collecting 10,000 steps a day is just as effective as doing "FIVE" 30 MINUTE workouts a week!
**Consistent daily activity nourishes nearly every system in your body. A study published in the journal Comprehensive Physiology found that 35 different chronic health conditions are accelerated by physical inactivity. They range from heart disease and stroke to depression and constipation.
**When you get 10,000 steps a day, you put another brick in the wall that protects your health..... Here are a few benefits that could kick in when you get those daily steps:
1. You could strengthen your heart.
Someone who gets 10,000 steps a day will have a bigger stroke volume—how much blood the heart pumps per beat—compared with someone who gets 1,000 steps a day. A larger stroke volume is a sign of greater aerobic capacity, Aerobic capacity is arguably the best predictor of mortality and disease risk.~
2. You could store less body fat.
Calories eaten by someone who gets 10,000 steps a day do not travel the same path when theyre consumed by an inactive person. Thyfault has performed studies that shows when someone who exercises regularly eats that food is used differently by the body to fuel key systems compared with an inactive person. In someone who is habitually physically inactive, however, those calories are more likely to be stored as fat or in the muscle or liver. Evidence shows that habitual exercisers are also better able to handle those inevitable periods of excess—splurges like Thanksgiving Day, for example—without gaining as much weight.
3. You could help stabilize your blood sugar.
Lets say Thyfault is out to dinner with two friends: one gets 10,000 steps a day and the other gets 1,000. With a simple glucose monitor, Thyfault would be able to determine the identity of the highly active person and the physically inactive person, and figure out who is at greater risk of type 2 diabetes.
The person who gets 10,000 steps a day will have a much lower glucose and insulin response in their blood after a meal, he says. The inactive person will have a much bigger response. That surge of glucose and insulin after a meal is a predictor of who will develop diabetes down the road and also a predictor of cardiovascular disease risk.
4. You could improve your brain's performance.
The ability to learn new tasks, grow new brain cells, and stave off cognitive decline are all aided by daily moderate exercise. A study in the journal Current Biology showed that just one bout of exercise enhanced the brain's ability to reorganize, repair, and adapt to new situations. Aerobic exercise, such as walking, may also spur new cell growth in the hippocampus, the area of the brain that regulates emotion and memory, according to a study done on rats that was published in The Journal of Physiology.
5. You'll reinforce healthy habits.
There is one difference between a stepper and non-stepper that cant be seen on a glucose monitor, brain scan, or electron microscope: strength of will..... Small successes build upon themselves. If someone got 10,000 steps yesterday and the day before, they are more likely to hit that mark again the following day.
The whole 10,000 steps model is based upon making movement part of a normal routine where it wasnt there before. It facilitates behavioral change.....When it comes to weight loss, fitness goals etc..., behavioral change is dependent upon creating habits.
**HOW MANY OF YOU GET IN AT LEAST 10,000 STEPS A DAY?!...IF YOU DO MORE, TELL US HOW MANY!
**WHAT DO YOU USE OR HOW DO YOU TRACK THIS DAILY?
**WHAT CHANGES HAVE YOU NOTED BETWEEN GETTING 10,000 STEPS A DAY OR NOT?
@PoliteOcean
I have no idea tbh. I should keep track
@PoliteOcean
Brilliant post! It's good to remind us the health and mental benefits of walking - and it's free as well!
I track with my Fitbit, and I aim to get at least 10,000 steps a day. At the moment, I'm averaging about 17k but some days I struggle for that 10k! And the days that I don't hit my goal, I really feel worse, funnily enough.
And to ensure I get my 10k, I walk the dog first thing in the morning, and if the weather is accommodating, I'll walk to the train station instead of get a lift. That's a good 6k before I've even started work!
But every little helps - I started off aiming for 8k a day, and now it's a 'slow' day for me to get 8k!
@PoliteOcean i love this!
i usually only take around 5- 7,000 steps a day since i am still in school and dont have much free time. But in this summer, i was walking around 15,000 steps a day since we were on a vacation and taking a look at some cities. It felt good! I did not have much energy since i was underweight at that time, but i felt so much more energized and my mental health improved as well. I track my steps usually with MyHealth and Stepz!
@PoliteOcean Hello friend! Great post! I love walking... it is my thing! I try to get in anywhere from 15,000 to 20,000 steps each day! I found it very funny when you mentioned walking in your living room to get those last 100 steps in because I do that all the time! I did not know that walking 10,000 steps a day is equivalent to 5 thirty minute workouts!! I found that very cool and interesting! Thank you for sharing this!
@PoliteOcean Hi! I hope you are having a beautiful day! I really love this post! I am a huge fan of walking! I try to get in 20,000 step each day! I like to walk outside and even in circles around my kitchen table! What you said about how taking 10,000 steps each day can improve brain function really stuck out to me! I have a problem with memory and concentration so it's really great now that I know I am helping improve my brain by walking (I also started taking a vitamin called focus factor too)!